Air compressors

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
looking for a unit that will let me pump up tires/balls, use a nail gun and add an attachment so that I can use the pressurized nozzle to wash my car. Whats the smallest gallon size and psi that i could get away with to perform these task?

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
The little pancake ones that contractors use would work fine for what you want.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I got a 7.5 HP cambell hausfeld upright .. thing is a beast. Husky is made by cambell hausfeld and are a little cheaper ... if you do your own car work a larger compressor is better IMHO

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
oil free and quiet are 2 things that normally don't go together when talking compressors.
Very True.
I got a 7.5 HP cambell hausfeld upright .. thing is a beast. Husky is made by cambell hausfeld and are a little cheaper ... if you do your own car work a larger compressor is better IMHO
Similar here, but I think mine is 5HP with a 60 gal tank.

CV355

_
Established Member
I run a portable Husky 30gal. It's noisy as sin but works great- I never run low on pressure as I have with some of the smaller capacity compressors.

Seriously though- noisy as hell. I start it, close the garage door, and run back inside for 5 minutes.

Mackey

Established Member
oil free and quiet are 2 things that normally don't go together when talking compressors.

Typically you're right but I was actually impressed by the CAT dual piston system.

I bought this one specifically for the dB rating and would say I'm pleased with it.

It cycles a lot for big jobs because of tank size, but small things around the house while keeping noise down it is great. My garage compressor is an old Sears setup on a new 50 gallon tank.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I can not find the craftsman one i have on their website. It's small and on wheels. First one locked up with very little use probably due to a small oil leak or not enough oil came with it. The next one we got, i bought a cheap bottle of air compressor oil from Northern Tools. It's been fine for a while now. It's loud as hell. But it was small, cheap and has wheels. I cant complain.

My dad has one from Sears close to 30 years old. Belt driven. Works like a champ. They dont build stuff like they used to. Well they do, but in general people dont want to pay for it.

Blown 89

Established Member
Those California Air Tools compressors are awesome. I've been eyeing them for years now. I plan on either supplementing or replacing my 30 gallon Husky with one so that I can pull it in the house and not go deaf.

There's an entire community of people that modify compressors with old refrigerator pumps. They run quiet but they take longer to fill.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Don't make the same mistake I did, and go with a cheap unit with small capacity.
I purchased the smallest, cheapest Campbell Hausfeld unit I could for filling up tires, and as a blower.
It is ridiculously loud to the point that I where my shooting ear protection, and the compressor never stops, as it can't keep up with any output.
Even a simple job like blowing grass off of a lawnmower would take forever, as you would only get 2 or 3 air bursts out of the unit before the pressure had dropped to nothing, and then you would have to wait a couple minutes for it to recharge. Rinse, repeat...
I ended up giving it to a buddy.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
when you talk about the pressurized nozzle to wash the car, you talking about a foam cannon? if so you need a power washer for that, no air compressor

Biff-Mach1

Established Member
I just bought one. Should be delivered Wednesday. My neighbor has had one for years. I did alot of research on which compressor would be best and the CH came up everytime. There warranty is great too. I was leaning towards IR but they seem to not be as good as they use too. Plus I belive IR is a Japanese company and CH is american.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Pay attention to the start up amps. Typically anything over 15 amps will trip regular household beakers when compressor is restarting under parcel load or used where temps are cold. 20 amp circuits can even trip at start up on many compressors under cold load conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
You doing the install yourself? If you are a couple of points. The 7.5 hp is a 220 unit. I got lucky in that my breaker box is on the outside wall where I put the compressor. Hooked it up to a double breaker and ran a cable through the wall and the through conduit to the compressor. Also the feet are set up to be bolted to the floor but I went and got four rubber insulated pads they set them on and just set it. Has been tat way four 15 years and hasn't moved

Edited to add: I Also put a 220 light switch next to the compressor so I could turn it off when I am not using it.

I just bought one. Should be delivered Wednesday. My neighbor has had one for years. I did alot of research on which compressor would be best and the CH came up everytime. There warranty is great too. I was leaning towards IR but they seem to not be as good as they use too. Plus I belive IR is a Japanese company and CH is american.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
unit I could for filling up tires, and as a blower.
It is ridiculously loud to the point that I where my shooting ear protection, and the compressor never stops, as it can't keep up with any output.
Even a simple job like blowing grass off of a lawnmower would take forever, as you would only get 2 or 3 air bursts out of the unit before the pressure had dropped to nothing, and then you would have to wait a couple minutes for it to recharge. Rinse, repeat...
I ended up giving it to a buddy.
That's exactly how mine is and what i use it for(minus as a leaf blower because i have a Stihl). Very simple projects but mine is a craftsman.

I looked at a couple other brands mentioned here. They seem on bar with price for the same compatible model. If mine every brakes, i will not be getting another craftsman. One because the local sears shut down, two because i have lost faith in everything they sell.

Users who are viewing this thread