Air Bags and the hop

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I just put mine in and at about 28 PSI the hop is GONE!:rockon:
I still get a very little bit on concrete, but on black top it's completely GONE!!!!!:pepper: :pepper: :pepper:
My car had an EXTREME case of the hops, so if it worked here, it's gotta work anywhere. My car is a vert with only a few minor mods to the IRS other than the bags. I don't even have my subframe connectors on yet! All I have is Steeda springs and Nitto DR's. I just ordered a set of Coupe shocks, so I'm hoping that with them, the full length subs and the eventual install of the MM IRS bushings that I have sitting in my garage, I'll have ZERO hop on any surface!

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Mine are at 28 right now, I didn't have time to really mess around with it too much though. 28 eliminated my hop issues, but I'd like to see if I can lower the PSI and get the same effect.

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
Pistolwhip, I have all the mods you have, plus the subframes and coupe spings and my hop is pretty nasty. My point is I wouldn't expect much from those things you plan to purchase. Of coarse I believe all verts need subframes and the coupe springs give you a tighter ride than the vert ones, so you will see an improvement. It seems the bags are doing more than any other mod.

I can't believe the Nitto Drags didn't make a difference before the bag mod.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I don't know what other mods you have, but my car has to be dam near 500 RWHP. DR's or not, there gonna spin when you mash the peddel. The Nitto's did make a difference, but as soon as they break loose, it hops again. DR's only help because they spin less. Less spin means less deflection.
I already have Steeda Sport Springs, so I'm not going with Coupe springs. They are not as stiff as the Steeda's, I already looked into that. I am however, putting coupe shocks in the rear. They are valved different and should work better with the Steeda springs than the Vert valved shocks. I don't need anything drastic to happen in order for there to be an improvement. All I need is a little less deflection on concrete. On black top, there is ZERO wheel hop right now.
Oh and by the way, my car is not even two tenths of an inch higher with 28 PSI in the bags, as it was without the bags at all. I did not use the red rubber spacers either.

Last edited:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
The more I drive it, the more I can tell of the suttle changes. It's definitely a little bit stiffer and when you hit bumps you can tell that the suspensions travel is a bit shorter. It's nothing extreme and well worth the up sides. I lowered the pressure to 23 PSI in each bag and that seems to be the sweet spot for the best of both worlds.
Swapping out the Vert shocks for Coupe shocks did make for a firmer ride also. I like the way it feels now.

04svtspray

Established Member
I just received my bags yesterday, so I'm planning on putting them on either tonight or tom. 23psi it is then hopefully...

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
PistolWhip said:
The more I drive it, the more I can tell of the suttle changes. It's definitely a little bit stiffer and when you hit bumps you can tell that the suspensions travel is a bit shorter. It's nothing extreme and well worth the up sides. I lowered the pressure to 23 PSI in each bag and that seems to be the sweet spot for the best of both worlds.
Swapping out the Vert shocks for Coupe shocks did make for a firmer ride also. I like the way it feels now.

I didn't know there was a difference in shocks. I thought the springs were the only think different between the two suspensions.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Nope, coupe and vert shocks are valved differently. The Coupe shocks are a little bit stiffer than the vert shocks and then the 00 "R" shocks are stiffer yet and have a different travel length to accommodate a lower stance. The 00 Cobra R shocks are probably your best Billstien choice for cars that are significantly lowered in the rear.

You can tell them apart because the Coupe shocks have a small purple sticker on them that says "CPE" while the Verts have a small white sticker that says "VRT".

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I never heard that stiffer shocks did that. You have to understand the function of shocks vs. springs. Shocks are intended to "dampen" the travel of the suspension, not dictate it's rate or distance of travel.
The springs are what dictate the suspensions rate and distance of travel in a properly working set up. You can't rely on shocks to do the job of the springs.

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
Stiffer shock will reduce wheel hop as with the QA1's they are adjustable and can be made very stiff.

silvercoffin

Established Member

Well I guess maybe I need more experimentation to be certain, but I started by going softer. from 7 down to 3 and noticed very little hop then to 2 and noticed even less hop but it still hopped and I still had lousy 60fts.. Then I went to 13 and the car hopped like crazy.

JDM Enginnering recommends going softer with the QA1s not stiffer. but they said not to start so soft and just to go a few clicks softer than I used to have them. Next time to the track I was going to start at 4 and stiffen them up from there.

Stiffer...at least at 13 on the QA1s definetely resulted in more hop.

I tried more and less air preasure and mroe air also definetely led to more hop.

I ordered the Steeda Diff bushing sinc e they are cheap and not a big job to install I figured I would just try them before spending a lot of money on anything else.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I have Dif bushings laying in my garage and haven't done them because it seems like too much of a PIA install for something that may or may not work. The bags were $60 and can be installed in about an hour with minimal work.

silvercoffin

Established Member

You must have the MM bushings. Sound like the steeda ones simply replace what we already have and allow for less flex. But they dont change the pinion angle or anything. Steeda says for diff bushings only it should only take an hour to install them

New Dude

Established Member
I hate to revive this thread guys but I have a few questions about these. I also ran mine with the line going down, is that bad at all, does it serve the same purpose? Also I am having a hard time finding the sweet spot. I have my Nittos at 17 and the bags at 28ish and if im rolling out in 1st and mat it I hop like crazy, should I lower pressure in the bags?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I've got 30lbs. in mine and still hop! The highest recommended is 35 but I'm going to try 40lbs. soon! I might blow one up but oh well. It looks like I'm going to be ordering some Level 5's within the next 5 or 5 weeks. So then my hop will be fixed because I'll be running a fatass tire afterwards. I'll be ordering ac427cobra's kit with it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread