Air Bags and the hop

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
Many of you may have read some of my constant rants due to the hop. My 03 vert is stock, I must have read a couple thousand threads on this site relating to the hop.

Some owners stated that a simple spacer placed between the coil springs solved it while others noted that the red pill didn’t fix it. So I thought I would start with Stop the Hop Kit from Steeda and a set of bags from Laurel Montain.
I figured I'd install the bags my self and bring the car into a shop for the bushings and brace.

Well I installed the bags last night; it took no more than 35 minutes a side, hoping that these would offer any relief from the hop.
Ok as mentioned I had a bad case of the hop, my car doesn't spin it just hops (dam hop).

I took it out this morning to see if these bags helped, at this point even a slight improvement would be welcomed.

Let me tell you I can dump the clutch at 4 K and smoke those F1 all the way into 2nd.
I guess I'm not doing the Bushings and Brace at the moment.

Folks I think I cured the hated hop. Not sure if this is everyone’s answer, but man it sure solved my problem.

Also as a byproduct it seems to have stiffened the rear end during hard cornering.

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
hawaiiancobra said:
what air pressure in the bags did you run? also what are your rear tire pressures

To be honest I'm still fooling around with the presure , but the 4 k launch was at 14PSI , I'll let you know what pressure works best for my vert

Tires are Stock FI

sorry misread 35 psi

Last edited:

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
Interesting. Please post up your impressions and experience with these over the next few weeks. I might need to add this mod to my list :)

SteelersVenom06

Fade to Black
Established Member
Seems like these might be an excellent answer to helping with wheel hop. Few questions:

1. Are the airbags added on with the springs or are they a standalone setup?
2. Do the airbags affect the ride height in the rear at all? I've seen airbags on pickups before and they raised the ride height of the rear considerably.

Thanks and I can't wait to get a set of these. For such a cheap price, why not give 'em a shot. :shrug:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Flad said:
I guess I'm not doing the Bushings and Brace at the moment.

you should rethink your decision on the diff cover brace....

it was never intended to reduce hop; it's used to spread the load of the rear mount across the case itself, instead of just the cover

while hopping often damages the cover so does hooking, which generates a lot of torque trying to twist the case

Last edited:

SteelersVenom06

Fade to Black
Established Member
+1 on getting the IRS brace. It's a reasonably low cost item and seems as close to a must have as you can get on these cars....especially if you'll be launching.

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
just ordered the air bags on e-bay from laurel mountain. got two,too cheap of a mod not to give em a shot. would be too cool to hook up an automatic pressure adjuster to each one from inside the car????

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
SteelersVenom06 said:
Seems like these might be an excellent answer to helping with wheel hop. Few questions:

1. Are the airbags added......
2. Do the airbags ......

1. Yes they are stand alone. They are stuffed into the hollow core of the springs.
2. To be honest I can't tell. They seem to stiffen the ride; due to the fact that once they are inflated they fill the spring core and hold the spacing of each coil fairly tight.
Kind of like if you took a balloon held it in your fist and blew it up.

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
JB said:
you should rethink your decision on the diff cover brace....

it was never intended to reduce hop; it's used to spread the load of the rear mount across the case itself, instead of just the cover

while hopping often damages the cover so does hooking, which generates a lot of torque trying to twist the case

JB, I know, I just had it powdercoated Black it's ready to install. Just really don't trust anyone to do the work

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
hawaiiancobra said:
just ordered the air bags on e-bay from laurel mountain. got two,too cheap of a mod not to give em a shot. would be too cool to hook up an automatic pressure adjuster to each one from inside the car????

Make sure they give you the tee, mine was missing.I spent the good part of a day trying to find a brass one.

Great minds think alike , Ive got a stock compressor/dryer from a 1990 Chrysler Imperial that I used to own. Very compact design.

romi

Established Member
I ordered some from Laurel Montain last week also, just got them today. Hoping I have time to put them in tonight in my vert. I already did the diff. brace, irs mount brackets, irs bushings, diff. bushings, coupe springs, and MMFLSFC'S. And it still has the nasty hop. So after hearing these results, I can't wait to get home and get these put in my car. Hope I get the same results.:pepper: :banana: :pepper:

SVT04

Established Member
I got a set of bags from Lou at Laurel mountain and they are the best kept secret to fixing the wheelhop we experience. 5 -6 psi on the street and 15 psi at the track works like a charm.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
:beer: Good news. This just furthers my suspicions that the hop is primarily related to spring rate/dampening and tire compliance.

romi

Established Member
Just got done installing mine (40 mins total). It's raining out right now, so not ideal weather to test in. But I took it out any ways. Didn't get rid of all the hop (pressures, wet road) but it sure is much better, way better. Didn't really start hopping until she was almost wound out. :-D :D :-D

Users who are viewing this thread