Air Bag Recall

Speedwagon

Established Member
Some time ago I received a recall letter in the mail as probably many of you have, so I called the dealership where I bought my car to have this fixed. I do realize that there are quite a number of these that need to be addressed. My question to any/all of you is: Does this fall under some kind of lemon law? I mean .. I'm trying to get my car repaired and its not happening, and I am literally riding around in a self contained bomb. I just put in another call to the dealership and they have no idea when the parts are even going to be available or what they want them to do. Seems kinda silly to put out a recall and not make it serviceable. I bet a really good class action suit lawyer would get around this. What do you think?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
It's not a lemon law as you would have had to have the car serviced multiple times for the same issue and meet specific criteria depending on the state.

It's a Takata recall, which affects something like 36 million cars. Takata reportedly is manufacturing around 1 million replacement airbags per month, so some people are going to have to wait over 3 years for their replacement.

The important thing to remember is that not every one of those airbags is defective. Only a small percentage are, but the only way to know which ones are defective is to set them off. You are just going to have to be patient, or trade in your car.

Speedwagon

Established Member
It's not a lemon law as you would have had to have the car serviced multiple times for the same issue and meet specific criteria depending on the state.

It's a Takata recall, which affects something like 36 million cars. Takata reportedly is manufacturing around 1 million replacement airbags per month, so some people are going to have to wait over 3 years for their replacement.

The important thing to remember is that not every one of those airbags is defective. Only a small percentage are, but the only way to know which ones are defective is to set them off. You are just going to have to be patient, or trade in your car.

Yeah... I feel a trade coming on...

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Unfortunately, there just isn't anything the Auto manufacturers can do other than inform you there is a problem, and then let you know when they have parts for your car.

I know Takata was looking into seeing if other airbag manufacturers could help produce replacements, but they all make different designs and it takes some time to determine compatibility.

Kiohtee

Established Member
The easy solution here is to just not wreck your car. Duh! :shrug:

/sarcasm

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
In a class action suit the only person making out good is the lawyers. Everyone keeps saying this isn't a Ford problem, but it is. They sourced the airbag inflator from Takata and installed it in our cars. All car companies source parts. The possibility of it taking 3 years is unreasonable. If the cars can't be fixed within a reasonable amount of time then it should be bought back, that is what the government is forcing Dodge to do.

Some say to trade it, but who is going to want to put a car on the lot they know is under this recall? The trade value on these cars has got to be shit currently.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
In a class action suit the only person making out good is the lawyers. Everyone keeps saying this isn't a Ford problem, but it is. They sourced the airbag inflator from Takata and installed it in our cars. All car companies source parts. The possibility of it taking 3 years is unreasonable. If the cars can't be fixed within a reasonable amount of time then it should be bought back, that is what the government is forcing Dodge to do.

Some say to trade it, but who is going to want to put a car on the lot they know is under this recall? The trade value on these cars has got to be shit currently.

It is a problem for Ford, and every other auto manufacturer, but it is not a ford problem. Ford, and every other manufacturer purchases airbags from their suppliers certified to various specifications. Takata, and others, certify that every airbag meets said specs. Ford and other manufacturers did their due diligence in selecting airbags that meet safety requirements. It was up to Takata to not build a defective product. If it was Ford who designed the airbag, and the design was defective, that would be a different story.

Black2010

Established Member
I just told my wife that if I die in an accident that is caused by a defective airbag that I wish her and my kids to enjoy not ever having to work again.

Not much else that we can do from what I've found. Fortunately, my defective Mustang is not a daily driver.

SHOdown220

Established Member
For starters, "ticking time bomb" is a bet excessive. It is not going to randomly explode, if in the small chance you are in an accident, there is a smaller chance the airbags will deploy, and yet an even smaller itty bitty tiny chance the airbag will not deploy as designed. However, that small chance is scary, which is why the manufactures have issued the recall in the first place. It is not a manufacture issue, it is a takata issue. They are the ones who screwed up so don't go yelling at ford, Honda, or whoever because all they can do at this point is wait for parts and install as they come in. Call your dealer to get your part ordered and wait. Trade values will stay the same, they can't put the cars on the lot for sale with an open safety recall. Any car sold by the dealer is caught up on all safety recalls at the time of sale.

Oh and to add, sure lets all demand our cars are purchased back from the manufacture so we can put them out of business. That'll teach em :rolleyes:

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
It is a problem for Ford, and every other auto manufacturer, but it is not a ford problem. Ford, and every other manufacturer purchases airbags from their suppliers certified to various specifications. Takata, and others, certify that every airbag meets said specs. Ford and other manufacturers did their due diligence in selecting airbags that meet safety requirements. It was up to Takata to not build a defective product. If it was Ford who designed the airbag, and the design was defective, that would be a different story.

It's a part in a Ford car, it's Fords problem. Unless you're saying Ford can ultimately say **** the consumer contact Takata?

For starters, "ticking time bomb" is a bet excessive. It is not going to randomly explode, if in the small chance you are in an accident, there is a smaller chance the airbags will deploy, and yet an even smaller itty bitty tiny chance the airbag will not deploy as designed. However, that small chance is scary, which is why the manufactures have issued the recall in the first place. It is not a manufacture issue, it is a takata issue. They are the ones who screwed up so don't go yelling at ford, Honda, or whoever because all they can do at this point is wait for parts and install as they come in. Call your dealer to get your part ordered and wait. Trade values will stay the same, they can't put the cars on the lot for sale with an open safety recall. Any car sold by the dealer is caught up on all safety recalls at the time of sale.

Oh and to add, sure lets all demand our cars are purchased back from the manufacture so we can put them out of business. That'll teach em :rolleyes:

Based on what you describe you don't know what could happen. When the airbag deploys, shrapnel from the inflator itself can hit the person. This is most likely to occur in areas of high heat and high humidity. Ford should do something other than just pointing fingers at Takata. That's not fixing my car, that's not making me feel safe driving it. How about a loaner? GM supplies loaners. Instead we got a letter that states there is a recall, no parts are available, get bent until parts arrive?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I just told my wife that if I die in an accident that is caused by a defective airbag that I wish her and my kids to enjoy not ever having to work again.

Not much else that we can do from what I've found. Fortunately, my defective Mustang is not a daily driver.

I'm guessing we need a lawyer to answer my question. With Ford notifying us of the Takata airbag recall, are they liable if something happens since we've been instructed of the issues?

SHOdown220

Established Member
It's a part in a Ford car, it's Fords problem. Unless you're saying Ford can ultimately say **** the consumer contact Takata?

Based on what you describe you don't know what could happen. When the airbag deploys, shrapnel from the inflator itself can hit the person. This is most likely to occur in areas of high heat and high humidity. Ford should do something other than just pointing fingers at Takata. That's not fixing my car, that's not making me feel safe driving it. How about a loaner? GM supplies loaners. Instead we got a letter that states there is a recall, no parts are available, get bent until parts arrive?

Trust me, I know exactly what can happen. I deal with these recalls on a day to day basis, more than you could imagine. Where exactly are the manufactures going to come up with over 30 million loaners? Whos going to pay for that many loaners? It sucks but they are doing everything they can do fix the issue. Blaming it on Ford isn't going to get you any where, as stated before its not a ford part. Sure they put the part in their car but on the promise that it was not a defective part. They are losing their ass on this. One option on your end is to unhook the airbag, but that's a decision only you can make.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member

Yea, kind of curious to see if it has taken a big hit. Last trade in offer was pretty good, would of made some money off the car considering the price I bought it at, pre airbag issue.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
According to Wildman113 on here...this is all Honda's fault :lol1:

I would have to assume Ford would hold at least some liability for this if something were to happen. I'd bet that would depend on the case more than anything. A good lawyer might be able to get Ford out of it (if something happened)...or it could go the other way. Takata is just the parts supplier to maaany makes/models, but they're the ones producing the airbag to a certain standard so they'd have to be a little more liable, if not completely liable for all. Now if Ford/etc had access to them and weren't replacing them in a timely manner...that's different.

Either way, this is a huge recall due to the fact they supply to so many. The actual amount of injuries, cases, etc is extremely low in comparison to other recalls. Hopefully it gets fixed soon as possible

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Trust me, I know exactly what can happen. I deal with these recalls on a day to day basis, more than you could imagine. Where exactly are the manufactures going to come up with over 30 million loaners? Whos going to pay for that many loaners? It sucks but they are doing everything they can do fix the issue. Blaming it on Ford isn't going to get you any where, as stated before its not a ford part. Sure they put the part in their car but on the promise that it was not a defective part. They are losing their ass on this. One option on your end is to unhook the airbag, but that's a decision only you can make.

The only thing Ford is losing on this is faith. If Takata is responsible, they're paying for the new inflator and I'm sure they'll foot the bill on labor. So how is Ford is losing their ass on this?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Yea, kind of curious to see if it has taken a big hit. Last trade in offer was pretty good, would of made some money off the car considering the price I bought it at, pre airbag issue.

I know for a while there were 0 mustangs on Carmax's site, but I see recently they've been added. And won't an open recall show up on Carfax?

Last edited:

SHOdown220

Established Member
The only thing Ford is losing on this is faith. If Takata is responsible, they're paying for the new inflator and I'm sure they'll foot the bill on labor. So how is Ford is losing their ass on this?

Even if takata is paying 100% of the cost of parts and labor, ford is still losing. Why? It all comes down to time. For every minute a recall is taking up a bay, a paying customer's car could be in that bay. Therefore more recalls = less customer pay.

Users who are viewing this thread