Ahh found the knock...

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
5 Spun rod bearings, Only one was making noise... the others were about to though. Crank is getting turned as we speak, didn't look bad, block looks great, gonna stay with standard bore. A friend of mine that has been building big power race engines for 49 years is letting me rebuild it with him watching over me and I get all the parts and machining at his cost. (cat or scat 4340 rods, NIB $340)

I have a few questions though. He is suggesting a Comp Cam valve job, with some re angling. He said there is huge HP to be had by doing this. My guides and seats are fine, even after 170K. If there is huge power to be made, why isnt everyone doing this? Im at a crossroad and dont know whether to invest the money in these B heads or go to a c head and how much of a difference for $500 to buy the stock c heads is gonna make. Any thoughts? suggestions? If its easier for you shoot me a text, Ill be at work for the rest of the night and am pretty anxious to hear what you have to say 419-689-3648

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
rodbstamp.jpg

rodbearing2.jpg

rodbearing1.jpg

rod1.jpg

rod2.jpg

lafeva

Established Member
Too much vtec.. lol just clarifying so there was 170k on ur motor? And it was the factory one? Just wondering

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
yep 170K, It was a strong motor too. Ive raced a lot on the street, and had a lot of success and it was basically stock. I cant even really describe how strong it was lol. I was smoking brand new camaro's, light to light and WOT on the highway. I will post a pic of the cylinders and what not, the engine guy I go to said the block and the pistons both look factory new... royal purple and sea foam do wonders. It ended up being a oil pump failure that killed me, but oil pressure never fluctuated. I drove it home about an hour and a half after it started knocking, and then to a few buddies houses to try and figure out what was wrong and it ran fine.

Bright Blue Cob

Established Member
yep 170K, It was a strong motor too. Ive raced a lot on the street, and had a lot of success and it was basically stock. I cant even really describe how strong it was lol. I was smoking brand new camaro's, light to light and WOT on the highway. I will post a pic of the cylinders and what not, the engine guy I go to said the block and the pistons both look factory new... royal purple and sea foam do wonders. It ended up being a oil pump failure that killed me, but oil pressure never fluctuated. I drove it home about an hour and a half after it started knocking, and then to a few buddies houses to try and figure out what was wrong and it ran fine.
The gauge is really just an idiot light, the gauge reads normal at 6psi and above I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread