Aftermarket wheels won't fit!

RedCandyGT

Established Member
I ordered 20x9 and 20x10.5 wheels for my 2012 GT. The rear ones go on fine, however the front wheel will not clear the grease cap on the front caliper, therefore I cannot get it to sit flush. The wheel manufacturer says the wheels have a 73mm centerbore and the hub on the vehicle is 70.5mm. Is there anything that can be done without having to machine something?

Thanks

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
It sounds like you have 2 problems. Your saying its rubbing the caliper, and the wheel bore is too big for the hub?

sounds like you just need to send them back and order the correct ones

CharlieR

Established Member
You may be able to find a thinner/less protruding grease cap or modify the centercap to fit. Also a small wheel spacer would work. It's not an uncommon issue with these cars.

Paul@HI

Established Member
I ordered 20x9 and 20x10.5 wheels for my 2012 GT. The rear ones go on fine, however the front wheel will not clear the grease cap on the front caliper, therefore I cannot get it to sit flush. The wheel manufacturer says the wheels have a 73mm centerbore and the hub on the vehicle is 70.5mm. Is there anything that can be done without having to machine something?

Thanks

Which wheels did you purchase and what are the offsets?

Almost all aftermarket wheels have a universal centerbore. This is so they can fit many different vehicles. You are supposed to receive hub rings with your wheels to bring the CB down to your size. Did they not include those?

RedCandyGT

Established Member
Which wheels did you purchase and what are the offsets?

Almost all aftermarket wheels have a universal centerbore. This is so they can fit many different vehicles. You are supposed to receive hub rings with your wheels to bring the CB down to your size. Did they not include those?

I purchased some 20" concave wheels et 38 in the front and et 45 in the back. They didn't include hub rings. The centerbore on the wheel is too small, so when I go to mount it on the studs, I can't push it all the way over the hub. I think either the centerbore on the wheel gets narrower and there isn't enough height to accommodate the wheel. The company I bought the wheels from told me to take the dust cap off the flange because it may be interfering with the placement so I guess I will try that first.

Ratchet

Established Member

Thanks
If the grease cap is metal/aluminum you can massage the rounded part of the grease cap flatter, that could give you up to 1/4" more clearance. Did that with the last set of wheels on the cobra. Worked minty. :beer:

Try taking off the center cap on in the wheel and see if they bolt all the way up? The center cap may be the issue. If so, try above.

Last edited:

RedCandyGT

Established Member
If the grease cap is metal/aluminum you can massage the rounded part of the grease cap flatter, that could give you up to 1/4" more clearance. Did that with the last set of wheels on the cobra. Worked minty. :beer:

Try taking off the center cap on in the wheel and see if they bolt all the way up? The center cap may be the issue. If so, try above.

That's the problem. I did take off the centercap and they don't bolt all the way up. Let me find some pics...

RedCandyGT

Established Member
Ok...here is a picture of the hub/dust cover

001.gif

Here is the wheel mounted (without center cap). It is not sitting flush against the rotor housing

006.gif

And here is a pic showing the gap

007.gif

I'm new to all of this. Would a spacer fix this issue? Would removing the dust cap even matter? :shrug:

Doug1227

Established Member
It's hitting the caliper or the hub? What's preventing it from going all the way on? If it's the caliper, then you'll need a spacer. If it's the diameter of the hub (which it looks like in the picture) , you've got bigger problems.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Contact the company you bought from. I don't understand how a 20in rim could rub on a 12in rotor with caliper

RedCandyGT

Established Member
It's hitting the caliper or the hub? What's preventing it from going all the way on? If it's the caliper, then you'll need a spacer. If it's the diameter of the hub (which it looks like in the picture) , you've got bigger problems.

I think it's the diameter of the centerbore of the wheel. It fits on almost all the way then it won't go any further. There is a ring inside the centerbore of the wheel and I'm wondering if maybe the bored out area before that ring just isn't tall enough.

RedCandyGT

Established Member
is the speed clip on the rotor holding you up?

No, there is no rubbing. It's just the wheel won't fit all the way on. I've tried both front wheels on both front hubs. The back wheels fit on the rear fine, however, when I try to put the backs on the front hub...i get the same thing.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
1st remove those rotor washers off your studs on all four wheels, they impact wheel balance. Next the offset of your front wheels are off if the wheel hits the caliper before its flush. Spacers as previously mentioned will help clear the calipers!

kingnut

Established Member
The wheels center bore is not big enough. Send them back and get different wheels with the correct hub bore.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
1st remove those rotor washers off your studs on all four wheels, they impact wheel balance. Next the offset of your front wheels are off if the wheel hits the caliper before its flush. Spacers as previously mentioned will help clear the calipers!

The caliper is not the problem. The center bore of the wheel is too narrow. Its not allowing the wheel to clear the hub and sit flush against the rotor.

OP, I agree with Kingnut...Send them back. Don't try to rig it up by removing or modifying the caps. Do it once, do it right....It sucks, I know. :fm:

What wheels are they BTW?

Last edited:

t-ray

Established Member
In your first picture, the rotor retainer clip is still present on one of the left studs. Is that causing the problem?

I had some wheels with drag radials left over from my last car. When I tried to mount them, they would not mount flush, and I too thought there was a problem with the centerbore. Then I saw the rotor retainer clip. Removing that clip allowed my wheels to sit flush.

I don't know if this is the same problem or not. But it's possible.

Users who are viewing this thread