Aftermarket wheels to replace stock 2010 GT500 wheels

T.O.Snake

Established Member
First off, the stock GT500 wheels are among the nicer stock wheels to be put on a mustang, imo. However, I quite like the multi-spoke look as well.

I'm considering replacing my stock wheels with either RTRs (saw them in person on a local new 5.0 car, and they looked great!), or Forgestar F14s.

I know the RTRs are a heavyish cast wheel, and the Forgestars use a different process which isn't "true" forged per se, but supposedly results in a good, light wheel.

The stock '10 wheels are forged, but from what I've read are a cheap forged, so I'm thinking it wouldn't represent a true "downgrade" moving to a cast wheel such as the RTR.

Anyone care to chime in on this, particularly about the forged/quality point between stock and those aftermarket choices?

Thanks

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Check out True Forged, they cost a little bit, but are the best around. They are a supporting vendor on the site too. True Forged Wheels custom billet

If I was going after market for wheels I would get their polished Chicanes :drool:

Thanks for the response. I'm definitely not looking to dump that kind of money on rims, though - too many other things I want to do as well.

I'm pretty settled on one of the two options I listed above.

Thanks again.

hunterp

Established Member
I seem to recall that there was an offset or backspacing issue with putting RTR wheels on a GT500. Maybe it was just my imagination though.

T.O.Snake

Established Member

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Don't write off True Forged on price alone. The owner Steve is a member here and takes very good care of SVTP members. It's worth hitting him up and just asking. He might even have a set of wheels already made and discounted that will fit your needs.
The wheels on my care are True Forged Chicanes in black chrome. See sig.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
I love the RTR, like above if you don't want a wide tire it works. Thinking of getting my son a set for xmas for his new black sixer.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
RTR - They look good as long as your tire doesn't exceed 275. Bigger than that and they are sticking out past the fender.

So throwing on the stock tires (255/285) would work well in the back with RTRs? I was intending on using them for at least a little while longer before considering a replacement :shrug:

Grey03

Established Member
And now for something completely different..
I thought about the RTR's too. Ended up going with TSW interlagos which are rotary forged like the F14's. They weigh a little less than 23lbs each, which is way less than the 35lbs+ that the stock wheels weigh.
DSC_0834.jpg

DSC_0832.jpg

T.O.Snake

Established Member
And now for something completely different..
I thought about the RTR's too. Ended up going with TSW interlagos which are rotary forged like the F14's. They weigh a little less than 23lbs each, which is way less than the 35lbs+ that the stock wheels weigh.
DSC_0834.jpg

DSC_0832.jpg

Nice ride - mine's exactly the same (minus the TVS, of course :( )

Those look pretty solid, but I'm a sucker for the look of the RTRs (or similar-looking TSW Nurburgrings, since yours are TSW) and the F14s. I'd say to me the RTRs get the edge in appearance/design (imo, of course), with the F14s still close. However, the fact the F14s can be had in 10 or 11" rears (or wider if so desired) is a significant factor, too. The F14s would be considerably lighter, too.

Thanks for sharing :beer:

Last edited:

Grey03

Established Member
Nice ride - mine's exactly the same (minus the TVS, of course :( )

Those look pretty solid, but I'm a sucker for the look of the RTRs (or similar-looking TSW Nurburgrings, since yours are TSW) and the F14s. I'd say to me the RTRs get the edge in appearance/design (imo, of course), with the F14s still close. However, the fact the F14s can be had in 10 or 11" rears (or wider if so desired) is a significant factor, too. The F14s would be considerably lighter, too.

Thanks for sharing :beer:

Thanks. I went back and forth for a long time and couldn't really decide.. I was so close to getting the RTR's. (Absolutely, love those wheels) I went with these because I wanted black, these are a few pounds lighter and everyone kept saying the RTR's don't work well with the 285's. (Not sure now if that is really true) I say you get the RTR's and then send me some pics..
Not many of us out there with this color combination. Shoot me a pm if you get some. :beer:

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Thanks. I went back and forth for a long time and couldn't really decide.. I was so close to getting the RTR's. (Absolutely, love those wheels) I went with these because I wanted black, these are a few pounds lighter and everyone kept saying the RTR's don't work well with the 285's. (Not sure now if that is really true) I say you get the RTR's and then send me some pics..
Not many of us out there with this color combination. Shoot me a pm if you get some. :beer:

Okay, first off, I must really like how your/our car looks, cause how the hell did I miss your avatar the first time around! :eek:

Now that that's out of the way, yeah, I really loved how the RTRs looked in person on a local 5.0 I saw. I think he was running 275s, so I don't know what the 285s would be like. Would really suck to dump brand new (albeit not the best tires, I know) stock tires to go NARROWER in the back :(

It would be a done deal if those damn RTRs were available in a 10 or 11" rear with the proper offset - I have a feeling you'd see them on every 10+ mustang if they did! I was just researching the Avant Garde M310s, because they can be had in those widths, but it looks like the widest our cars would handle (due to offset again) is 9.5 - just like the RTRs :cuss:

Wouldn't be doing this until the spring, so I've got some time. I'll definitely be posting pics of whatever I end up with.

--------
Established Member
i loved the lip and wide back tire look..not to mention the extra traction...to me it makes the car look really mean...these are CCW....i love the Chicanes by True Forged....these were just a lil cheaper

11" rear with 325/30/19

IMG_3881.jpg

IMG_3888.jpg

--------
Established Member
a lil....in the pic the camber bolts still needed about .70° more...since then i went to wedges to correct it...but, they are in tight as well...about a 1/16" clearance to the brakes....i wish i had gone with a lil larger tire too...present 275/30/19 front 9.5" rim

--------
Established Member
1" lip in the front...if you wanna call it that...i love the wheel set up just wish i would have had a lil taller off the rim tire in the front...the rear is perfect !!!

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I'm a Tru Forged Fan. I was offered a great deal on the chicanes don't know if they're still available though. Wanted like 2500 for the wheels and tires. I know they were the 11 in rear and 9.5 up front.

--------
Established Member
I'm a Tru Forged Fan. I was offered a great deal on the chicanes don't know if they're still available though. Wanted like 2500 for the wheels and tires. I know they were the 11 in rear and 9.5 up front.

hey dirty...you think those Chicanes are still around....got a buddy just bought an '08 looking for those exact wheels ???

Users who are viewing this thread