Aftermarket wheel concernes with dealerships..

FVEOH69

Established Member
I am curious to see how many of you have the same concerns as I do or am I just being ridiculous! I have forgestar f14's and we all know there pretty expensive wheels. My biggest concern is a tech scratching the wheels either by impact wrenches or scrapping them when they pull into the lifts. I need my car inspected which means they are going to take the 20" rims off my car. Should I trust my local Ford dealer or recommend finding a speed shop in my area? By the way im in the west chester PA area if anyone has a place they recommended. Thanks!

Rct851

Established Member
Just let it be known to the service writer and you should be fine. Make sure if the tech doesn't have a this wall socket that he borrow one from someone in the garage that does. Shouldn't be a big deal

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Go over the wheels and have your service writer make note that they are scratch free first.

F.D.Sako

Established Member
You have every right to be concerned, because I've seen way too many threads of scratched up wheels after servicing them at dealers. Also, if you have spline type lug nuts, it might be a good idea to ask the tech to use hand tools and torque wrenches/sticks, not to break your key apart.

My car has side-pipes, I've went as far as printing a piece of paper with "CAUTION - SIDE PIPES" and taping them to the sides of the car, so they don't crush it while putting the car on a lift... So, take every precaution that you can, because at the end, even if the dealer agrees to pay for damages, it'll be your time spent making sure it gets fixed. If I were you, I'd just slap on the stock wheels, as mentioned.

Zemedici

Established Member
+1 on stock wheels

Seen too many wheels get ****ed up by inexperienced techs. One dropped a ccw onto it's face once. Ouch....

Last edited:

FVEOH69

Established Member
Yes, that sounds like good advice. I do have my stock wheels but the tires are bald! Heres the thing, I have a wilwood brake kit ready to be mounted which i dont believe will clear the stock 18" wheels. I can definitely ask them to use hand tools instead of impact wrenches and I do have a thin wall socket for my wheels. I hope I find someone on here that has a place they go to and highly recommend.

FVEOH69

Established Member
I see your from MD, do you go to your local Ford dealer? I go to woodbine motorsports for mods but not driving that far for inspection, not even sure JJ does that haha.

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
Thank goodness I'm fortunate enough that one of my best friends is a Tech at the local Ford dealer and is the only that touches my car and it's also sweet that the dealer is very mod friendly!!!

F.D.Sako

Established Member
I see your from MD, do you go to your local Ford dealer? I go to woodbine motorsports for mods but not driving that far for inspection, not even sure JJ does that haha.

I only go to my local dealer for warranty work (and track key). As far as performance shops, I only have experience with Rev Auto up in Baltimore. They rebuilt my trans, installed clutch, flywheel and driveshaft for me, and I'm glad to say that I've finally found a shop that I can trust my car with. But as far as regular mods and maintenance, I try to do everything myself.

What's the inspection for, is it a state inspection, or you're going to a track and need an inspection sheet completed? If the inspection doesn't require a state license or a special certificate by the shop, then any mechanic should be bale to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread