Aftermarket Transmission Crossmember

Snake Plissken

Established Member
I'm sure some of you have seen the latest issue of 5.0 mag. Check out the new parts section; Prothane has come out with a new trans. crossmember with their urethane mount attached. The article states the member is OEM adjustable and will work for '99-'04 Mustang transmissions with no fab needed.

Since I replaced my motor mounts with Prothane mounts when I did the headers & oil pan I figure what the heck and I ordered the new crossmember with the urethane mount. It looks better than stock and it probably weighs less than stock.

I probably broke the golden rule: Shop around. I decided I wanted it and jumped on Jegs and ordered it. $104.99 for the crossmember & mount, they can be bought separate if you chose. Jegs doesn't have it in stock I guess cause it's new it will come direct from Prothane. It won't ship till the 15th of this month.

I'll let you know how easy or not it is to install.

Later, Mark

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Looks like I'll be getting this crossmember sooner than JEGS anticipated. Just received an email with UPS tracking; it should be here Friday. It'll have to wait, the Cobra is in a storage unit. Having one of the "sh!t houses" gutted and remodeled, they need the garage for storage and sawing.

I'll be back...

Last edited:

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Does it specifically say it fits a T-56? Fitting '99-'04 Mustangs doesn't always included Cobra's.

You could be right sir, but the T-56 is oem for '99-'04. I checked the Prothane web site and they don't mention ANY transmissions by name. If you look at the piece you can see adjustability in it. I believe the mount holes in the undercarriage are in the same place on every car, they just "shape" the mount to fit the Auto, 5-speed and 6-speed. If not I guess I'll be kicking myself in the ass and writing angry emails! I shall see Friday...

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Now you can tell me... I told you so!...:lol1:

Received the crossmember & mount today. NO this one isn't going to work. Opened the box and grabbed the instruction sheet, it listed everything but T-56. So, I called JEGs talked to three people two of them supervisors. After 15 minutes they agreed their details and application were not detailed enough. I got lucky they will credit me for the cost of return.

Prothane does have a conversion kit that will work for the T-56, BUT it requires fabrication. I don't mind if I have to mig-it, tig-it, drill-it, grind-it or whatever (it won't be the first time for fab. for me.)

Tried calling the Prothane tech line today but it's closed on Friday. I'll talk to them on Monday and find out what I need.

Can't do anything until I get my garage back anyway...

Snake Plissken

Established Member
I revisited the Prothane site and they do mention the T-56 kit, but not in the 99-04 category. It's listed in the 96-98 (I think, or somewhere around there.) category. WTF?!, not one mention of the T-56 in the 99-04 area were it is OEM for the Cobra. My butt's sore! from kicking it!

Snake Plissken

Established Member
The '99-'04 Mustang kit is on it's way back to Ohio. I called the Prothane tech line, told the guy I had a 2003 Mustang Cobra with the T-56 and what kit do I need. Get this, he tells me the SAME kit I bought that will not work! I said, UHHH-don't think so. So, this is the tech line? Gee, I'm not impressed. I had to tell him that YOUR web site mentions something about a conversion kit for the T-56. The "tech" guy said he would have to call me back. OK, I'll be here. A few minutes later I hear from him and he tells me you'll have to reuse the factory crossmember. It's just the urethane mount and it requires drilling holes in the factory crossmember. To tell you the truth I don't think this guy really knew. He gave me some measurements (who knows why?) At this point I'm losing interest.

The "tech" did mention that he thinks there are aftermarket crossmembers for your application, but of course he doesn't know who makes them. Well, I may look into it a little further to see what I can come-up with. Maybe I'll buy the urethane mount I'm not sure at this point.

I'm not pissed, as mentioned before the 03-04 Cobra isn't always part of the 99-04 Mustang group (It damn well should be, it is a Mustang,( at least it starts out as one) with OEM parts.)

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
I don't need to say it, I was just trying to tell you to get the whole story before going down the return route. The question has been posed numerous times before and if anything was available there would be multiple members with said option.

'99-'04's Mustangs don't all come with T-56's, GT's come with T5's or something and that's what the Prothane cross member (and most every other part) fits when it says "'99-'04 Mustangs". It doesn't say '99-'04 Cobra's not to mention '99-'01 Cobra's didn't have T-56's either they have T45's and 3650's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread