Aftermarket exhaust woes

Joseph Land

Established Member
I just bought a beautiful 2013 BOSS 302. Love the car. Has the track key.

Also has lt headers, high flow cats and a Magnaflow exhaust.

The Magnaflow is just too much. I can't hear myself think at 80mph!

I would like to go back to the factory quad exhaust.

Would anyone know where to purchase the factory quad pipe exhaust?

dlaude

Established Member
I don't believe they sell the factory quad h-pipe anymore. You might be able to find it used on some classifieds though if you keep your eyes peeled. If you go back to factory H pipe, you may have to put on factory manifods/shorties because not all headers are compatible with the factory H.

Another option is just to replace the axle-back, if the current system allows for that. Put on a more docile axle-back (stock Boss or GT500s, for example) on your current set-up to see if that quiets it down enough for you.

Oh, and congrats on the purchase!

Joseph Land

Established Member
I just liked the idea of the quad exhaust I've heard one before this purchase and liked it.

But the axle back idea may be the option of the quad pipe won't fit. It has a Magnaflow axle back but I don't know what the headers and cats are

FKing1

Established Member
If all else fails try to get a Corsa cat back. No drone but sounds good.
Had a complete Bassani exhaust on an 04 Terminator that had a terrible drone.

Joseph Land

Established Member
That's what was on my '12 GT and I traded it for the stock exhaust with GT500 mufflers.

Maybe someone wants to trade their stock exhaust for these. They cost over $1,100 new.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
Exact same set-up on mine and had the stainless works before. The magnaflow is way too loud and drones like crazy, the SW was perfect with zero drone. I switched because a tuner told me there was 20 hp difference in back to back testing. I would give up 20 hp if I could do it over.

That's what was on my '12 GT and I traded it for the stock exhaust with GT500 mufflers.

Maybe someone wants to trade their stock exhaust for these. They cost over $1,100 new.

Joseph Land

Established Member
I did find the quad exhaust H pipe on American muscle. It's for a GT500 but the only difference they said is the piping is 3" (which I need anyway bc of the 3" high flow cats. Maybe I can get it pieced together! LoL

dlaude

Established Member
Good luck and keep us posted! I'd love to be able to have 3" all the way back and still have the side pipes.

Joseph Land

Established Member
Good luck and keep us posted! I'd love to be able to have 3" all the way back and still have the side pipes.

Well that's according to AM so we will see when it gets here.
Thank you guys for the help!

GrabUblue

Established Member
I have a complete stock setup I just pulled off. I don't think the stock h works with long tubes.

Joseph Land

Established Member
Is the stock H 3" or ?

The one I ordered is stock style H but 3" and was listed for GT500 so Idk

GrabUblue

Established Member
I don't see how adding side pipes is going to make it quiter. How did the h pipe fit anyway?

Joseph Land

Established Member
I'm not going for the quieter by addin the side pipe I'm also adding gt500 mufflers which are a lot quieter than these Magnaflow magnapacks

TRDon

Established Member
I just picked up a factory h pipe from autonation ford formerly tousley. Had it in stock, is a stock item and was 394 bux. Ford hasnt discontinued them yet

Joseph Land

Established Member
It wouldn't make sense to use the factory H pipe with this car having stainless power headers and cats. They're 3".

Joseph Land

Established Member
That's why I bought the 3" h pipe for gt500 and side pipes.

But.. I'm going to return them and swap axle overs from another guy that has gt500 mufflers.

azazell64

Established Member
Just a letter of warning, the GT500's albeit more quiet than the Magnaflow are by no means quit with the rest of the "off road" exhaust. You may need to reinstate a set of resonators if the GT500's aren't the sound level you're looking for. I have some videos kicking around (unfortunately no in car stuff yet) of a complete Kooks system finished by the GT500 quad tips.

Joseph Land

Established Member
I've had gt500 mufflers. That's why I'm going with that setup.

But yea I agree they're not as quiet as stock but they do not create the drone that the magnapacks do.

Users who are viewing this thread