aftermarket differentials for IRS cars?

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
Anyone using one? If so, what kind? Any installation issues?
My diff. cover is leaking after the track visit this weekend. Soon I am going to have the cover removed & resealed and will be putting on a Billetflow brace and MM rear diff. bushing (already have the fronts). But I am also considering replacing the diff. while I am at it and would like to get some feedback from those who have made the swap already. Reider racing informed me that only certain diffs. are compatible with IRS cars (Torsen and Truetrack being some examples). I am currently leaning towards the Truetrack, but I am still undecided. Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Last edited:

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
I would go with the new detroit locker diff. by Trutrac as it is now able to work with an 8.8 IRS. Very streetable and no more clutches to ever worry about burning up. Once and done install for the life of the car.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
I am using an Eaton Posi, works well and does not complain at all about 650rwhp.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Badgts said:
Reider racing informed me that only certain diffs. are compatible with IRS cars (Torsen and Truetrack being some examples).

Hmmm....I have to look into that. That doesn't sound right to me. It's an 8.8 diff and I believe ALL 8.8's will fit. The only thing you have to worry about is axle spline count and like Bob said...it's 31. All 2001 and up Cobras have 31 splines. 1999 had 28 spline.

predator

Established Member
Badgts said:
Anyone using one? If so, what kind? Any installation issues?
My diff. cover is leaking after the track visit this weekend. Soon I am going to have the cover removed & resealed and will be putting on a Billetflow brace and MM rear diff. bushing (already have the fronts). But I am also considering replacing the diff. while I am at it and would like to get some feedback from those who have made the swap already. Reider racing informed me that only certain diffs. are compatible with IRS cars (Torsen and Truetrack being some examples). I am currently leaning towards the Truetrack, but I am still undecided. Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Here is a discussion on the subject of the two diffs you mentioned....

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255604

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
farnoush said:
But dont you have a solid axle?

You are one car behind man. :read:

My last car (Blue Vert) had a built solid, thus the BLUE PILL
555707_36_full.jpg

This car has Level 5 IRS, thus the RED PILL
555707_131_full.jpg

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
Hmmm....I have to look into that. That doesn't sound right to me. It's an 8.8 diff and I believe ALL 8.8's will fit. The only thing you have to worry about is axle spline count and like Bob said...it's 31. All 2001 and up Cobras have 31 splines. 1999 had 28 spline.

Larry: Up to about 6 months or so ago, the 31 spline detroit locker from Trutrac for the 8.8" Ford WOULD NOT work in an IRS car: only a solid axle car! They have since made the necessary mods to the diff. so that it will work with the IRS and solid axle rears. If you call and speak with a tech from Trutrac they can explain the necessary changes that were made to make it compatable. I spoke with them even before that time when the changes were made and were being engineered and they explained in detail why the then current locker would not work in an IRS rear. Since I've used traction locks, lockers, and spools in my past racing experiences, I believe the best bang for the buck in a street/strip car is a detroit locker, bar none. Just for your info. ;-)

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
the only difference between an 'irs differential' and a non-irs diff is a pair of grooves for the axle circlips on the inside of the differential pinion gears.

Pretty good synopsis. That is now the standard diff. by Trutrac to be able to use 1 differential for the 2 applications. Good job Shelby Guy! ;-) Hopefully guys interested in going with the locker for their IRS will make sure they get the revised version. Very important to recognize the difference when buying at swap meets too!! :burnout:

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Mr. Freeze said:
has anyone broken the stock differential???

Typically what happens is that the clutch pack wears from burnouts and hard launches and then only the right rear tire will pull..........NO MORE POSI !!! This WILL HAPPEN eventually over time and the harder the car is run, the sooner it will be. :uh oh:

Wicked03

Established Member
I Have The Trutrack With 4:10 And The Mm Rear Grip Kit Love It All In My 600hp 03 Cobra And The Car Has Responds Well To It All .

Users who are viewing this thread