Aftermarket clutches and chatter, feedback?

draxxus131

Established Member
:dancenana: Well it's definitely clutch time, after just realizing the stock pressure plate is garbage in my automobile (THANKS FORD). Still I love it though! The reason I am posting this is for any RAM/OTHER single disc, full face owners about clutch chatter.

I have purchased plenty of aftermarket clutches in the past and after install even the Centerforce clutches would chatter A LOT! Despite everyone claiming them to be the epitome of greatness.

I have noticed that RAM does some things differently, for example surrounding the springs in the hub with a urethane "INTERESTING" none the less. Does anyone have input on this???

Any chatter from their clutches, low-rpm noise?:poke::pop:

draxxus131

Established Member
I'll take that as a definite NO. LOL I would have thought more people would be using RAM by now.

redline5.0

Established Member
People get way to anal about clutch chatter. Id rather have nasty clutch chatter then the stock pos or another aftermarket clutch that has a crazy stiff pedal or on/off clutch release.. I dd'd a act with an extreme pressure plate and that was the end of that lol....McLeod ftw!

antbug911

new from bmc
Established Member
Anyone running an exedy clutch? what stages are you running and how do you like it? Stock fly wheel or aftermartet?

ajpturbo

Established Member
I take it you don't like the McLeod because of chatter?

I have no chatter at all, it's an organic disc. However there are harmonics and rattles between 1500-1900rpm and this is completely normal PER MCLEOD. And I love saying that. Thanks to the floater plate and lack of springs in the discs. But the good things are easy pedal and smooth engagement.

5.0_SD

Established Member
^Interesting...that's kinda f'd up of them to say that's normal. I thought that the McCleod's were the best for the stang.....
Soooo, everyone, what would be the best brand of clutch to put in?
(Sorry if this deemed a hijack).

draxxus131

Established Member
yes it is a hijack of my thread, please back on topic if we can. ANYBODY WITH RAM CLUTCHES any info please will help.

GO MCLEOD!
fireballs from his eyes, and lightning bolts from his arse.

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Established Member
Anyone running an exedy clutch? what stages are you running and how do you like it? Stock fly wheel or aftermartet?

Exedy mach 700 stage 4 here in a BOSS. Some light chatter unless perfect throttle/release balance, great grip and shifts beautifully. Might be too much for gear higher than 3.73.

helli217

Established Member
I hadn't read any reviews that indicated any problems at all with the Mcleod clutches until now.

Normal noise/harmonics from 1500-1900? Is this with the RST AND RXT?

draxxus131

Established Member
Well according to others, it happens to both. The reason you haven't read reviews about "problems" with Mcleod clutches is because it's personal taste is what it comes winding down to. One persons rattle is another persons carnage.

draxxus131

Established Member
People get way to anal about clutch chatter. Id rather have nasty clutch chatter then the stock pos or another aftermarket clutch that has a crazy stiff pedal or on/off clutch release

I would not like any of those, I would much rather have a clutch that is smooth with a slight harmonic rattle. I would understand if YOU want to settle for something less, that is your choice! Besides a chattering clutch also causes pulsing within the hydraulics... this is a NO NO.

redline5.0

Established Member
I would not like any of those, I would much rather have a clutch that is smooth with a slight harmonic rattle. I would understand if YOU want to settle for something less, that is your choice! Besides a chattering clutch also causes pulsing within the hydraulics... this is a NO NO.

Yes how dare I settle for a crappy McLeod RXT clutch....what was I thinking. I could give two ****s less if it makes a rattle at 1800 rpms as long as it holds a boat load of power. Anyways good luck on your clutch search :beer:

pufferfish

Established Member
My spec stage 1 with aluminum flywheel was a fantastic choice for me. Excellent modulation. Zero chatter. And it's reasonably priced. Pedal feel is slightly heavier , but after a few weeks, it seems totally normal.

I daily drive (with heavy MD traffic, not country road dd). I road race and do occasional trips down the 1/4. It's just a no drama clutch setup and the lightened rotating mass really helped out throttle response and rwhp!

ae02

Established Member
I am using a McLeod Super Street Pro single disc clutch paired with a ACT Prolite flywheel on a 2006 Mustang GT... I am pleased with this set up and don't have any chatter

draxxus131

Established Member
Yes how dare I settle for a crappy McLeod RXT clutch....what was I thinking. I could give two ****s less if it makes a rattle at 1800 rpms as long as it holds a boat load of power. Anyways good luck on your clutch search :beer:

Hey, you said it not me. I'm just stating my personal preference and standard, then again not that someone would give two plops of defecation about my personal tastes; because they are not me! BTW thanx for the cheers? MCLEOD FTW!

draxxus131

Established Member
Seems to be simple questions asked among enthusiasts are very troublesome in these parts. This is kinda turning into a pissing contest, even though the wind IS BLOWING DIRECTLY AT US.

Users who are viewing this thread