After market clutch guys help.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Quick question do any of you with aftermarket clutches have a clutch pedal that sits a good bit higher than stock location and is this normal. I have never had an aftermarket clutch in an sn95 so I don't know. I had one in my 03 but it sat pretty even with the brake but I think those are different clutches. The previous owner said there is a spec stage II in mine and it is fairly stiff. Any help or opinions appreciated. Aslo is there a way to even it out with the brake pedal if this is normal. If it is not normal what can I do. Thanks in advance.

uofipilot

Established Member
I'm not at home right now so I can't look, but I would say mine rests a touch above the brake pedal. It engages/disengages about 1.5 inches from the top, which is starting to piss me off. This is a KC clutch.

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
i have a spec stage 2 as well i have a firewall adjuster and i have mine set to engauge about 1 inch as you let the clutch out. Mine is pretty stiff and is pretty even with my brake pedal i believe

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
i have a spec stage 2 as well i have a firewall adjuster and i have mine set to engauge about 1 inch as you let the clutch out. Mine is pretty stiff and is pretty even with my brake pedal i believe

Mine engages about the same as yours but it rests about an 1 1/2 above the brake which makes not smacking the steering wheel with the knee a bit a chore as I am not exactly a small guy lol. Anyone know if getting a clutch quadrent would allow me to adjust the pedal resting point down?

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
wow i just went out to the car and sure enought its just like yours about 1 1/2-2" higher than the brake pedal. My dads 04 mach1 is the same way(clutch is stock) i believe this is normal. Im not sure why i said mine was even with the brake pedal:shrug: i guess i should of taken a closer look:D

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Maybe mine is a little higher was just guessing on the amount without going down stairs to measure in the garage but it is really high when at rest maybe 3 inches will have to go down and measure.:shrug:

sohcgt96

Established Member
My current setup is a Spec Stage 2 with a brand new OEM cable and a Maximum Motorsports Quadrant/Adjuster. Original throwout bearing (that came with the clutch) bit the dust, and its a higher performance centerforce unit now because while the car was taken apart on the lift and we discovered its failure to be the culprit of the non-functioning clutch, it was what I could find locally. Its been great too.

With the current setup pedal effort isn't much heavier than stock and engagement is at about the same point relative to the floor. Overall, as a matter of fact, its freakin' fantastic.

How I arrived at this point, if you care to read the details, i.e. learn from my mistakes:

During my interior exchange, decided while the dash was out, put in a new quadrant/adjuster/cable since its really easy with no dash. Used a kit from BBK. Clutch action was awesome over stock. Threw out the 142,000 mile stock cable.

Next year did the engine swap and trans rebuild. Installed a Spec stage 2 clutch during that time. Pedal was pretty heavy. Destroyed the first clutch cable in a week. Destroyed the 2nd clutch cable in about 4 days. Argh.

Guy I knew had a new in package Ford cable. Rumor had it they were better than the aftermarket cables. Installed it, was too short to work with the BBK single hook quadrant. Crap.

Ordered/installed a UPR HD cable that fit the firewall adjuster properly as opposed to the BBK cable that came with the BBK firewall adjuster as part of a flipping BBK kit. Fit fine. Pedal action wasn't so great. Blew throwout bearing, likely not to be related. It always squeaked a little right from the get go. Then he car was sidelined with engine problems for a while.

I can handle a stiff clutch but the rebound was a little slow too and I couldn't shift as fast. But it never broke. Fine, I'll deal. Couple friends tried it and couldn't believe how heavy the clutch was. I called them wussies. Then I tried a friend's turbo fox body with a Spec Stage 3 and it was a fraction of the pedal effort mine was. I decided something wasn't right.

A couple weeks ago: Decided I wanted better pedal action. I kept my Ford cable from before that had been on the car all of about 10 minutes previously and ordered the MM Quadrant/Adjuster designed to work with the Ford cable. Installed those parts Sunday. NIGHT and DAY difference. Clutch action is smooth, fast, and barely heavier than stock. I heart. I heart much. Should have done this in the first place. Maximum Motorsports FTW.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
The pedal effort on mine is not too heavy or bad it is mainly how high I have to get my food from the floor to get it on the pedal itself. You really have to work to get your foot on the pedal. Something is not right just not sure what as I havent had an aftermarket clutch except in my 03 and those are hydraulic I believe so maybe they sit different.

sohcgt96

Established Member
Do you still have the stock quadrant?

If so, I think how you can adjust it is put your foot behind the clutch pedal and pull it forward with your foot. It has a ratchet pawl in it and will self adjust to the right height.

I'd still look at an aftermarket adjustable setup some day though, they have a bit nicer feel.

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
I have Centerforce clutch, factory quadrant, cable, no firewall adjuster

pedal sits and feels exactly like the stocker. It is the first time I have ever put in a Centerforce into a mustang that the pedal height and feel didnt change.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
I think it's the stock quadrent and I measured it today and it sits 4 1/2 inches higher than the brake pedal.:fm:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member

RPM4DAZ

Because stock sucks!!
Established Member
I have a McLeod clutch and a T-56. The pedal height is set by the pedal assembly itself. What I did, was purchase a clutch pedal height adjuster from Maximum Motorsports along with a firewall adjuster, quadrant and a stock Ford cable. The little pedal adjuster is a clever design and can adjust the pedal from about stock height to just below the brake pedal height. I didn't like the Maximum quadrant and replaced it with a Steeda double hook unit. My adjuster is just barely off the wall and my pedal iis right at the height of the brake. The short overall throw takes a bit of getting use to, but works well. I would probably go with the Steeda high ratio quadrant now though. It moves the clutch a bit more with every bit of movement of the pedal.

LDC2335

Established Member
steeda makes one as well (pedal adjuster) not sure how much it can lower it though

Steeda Adjustable Pedal Stop - '94-'04 Ford Mustang

adjustable_pedal_stop_550.jpg

Last edited:

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
20 minutes between first and second post? Do you think your premium membership entitles you to priority tech support?

LOL no Toasty I don't think my membership entitles me to anything more than any one else. The only reason I paid for it was to help out Sid and keep the site going as I enjoy my time here. As for the time between posts I forgot to hit the instant email notification at the bottom before posting the first time and I am notorious for forgetting to check out threads I post so the notification helps. I just typed the second one so I could subscribe to the thread as the edit button doesn't allow the option. Thanks for your reply though I know you are generally a wealth of knowledge to many on here especially with mechanical issues as I have seen you solve alot of problems for people on here and I can't tell you how much it means to me that you were able to help me out with my mechanical problem. You truely are a credit to the site lol. Thanks again. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread