After almost 2 years...(long read)

Cobra03SC

Established Member
With work and alot of getting screwed over, one of my cobras has been neglected for the last 2 years sitting without a heart... 2 years ago i had a friend begin building me the motor in my sig. After about 4 months i was expecting to get it back and be back in business. 4 months roll around and nothing, so i check up and some of the parts are not done... not his fault ok np. 6 months roll around and they are still not done, then 8. So i decided to give the missing parts company a call (head cnc company) Anyways after some bitching he finally finishes them. Good looking work but worst timeline ever. So the motor comes together about 9 months after she blew. Im extremely excited to finally get my car back running, but after the install started having all kinds of issues. Would idle like crap had multiple misfires and just all around pain in the ass. After about 4 more months of getting advice from my buddy and spending tons of cash and time pulling and checking things over and over, he suggested instead of him sending me e-mail tunes trying to fix it that i bring it to him. Sure np, so i take her down to see him and drop it off. He puts the car on the dyno and hes supposed to hook up the meth kit because the car is pullied for around 23 psi. The next weekend i head to pick it up and he says its much better and everything is ok but it only made 580hp... Right then i knew something was up. I take the car home and the next day fire it up and its running like crap again... pull the plugs and find this:
SAM_1045_zps5bbe33a2.jpg

All the plugs shows signs of detonation and most were missing the ground straps... Compression test shows 3 low cylinders. Pull the motor and start to find all kinds of damage.
SAM_1068_zpsb699cbff.jpg

SAM_1069_zps66683d18.jpg

SAM_1070_zps0c0c580d.jpg

SAM_1163_zps762343c9.jpg

So pretty much im screwed at this point... Spent the last year or so and probably 7k bucks into this rebuild. So again she sits for 4 months or so while i think it over... Not much i could do since it WAS a friend of mine that did everything. Most of the parts were salvageable, heads, all arp bolts, really everything but the pistons and block. After 3 months i decide to have MMR build a 5.3 stroker for me. I know alot of people dont like mmr or have some complaints but ive never once had a issue. Now @ around 20 months of being down I feel i finally will get what i should have done in the first place. So i was told 2 months or so before completion. NP, and sure enough after 2 months she was done (actually about 2.5 months but i wasn't in a hurry at this point). They ship her out to me and now im very excited, i believe shipping time was a week, so each day of course i get on and check and track it. Sweet its in TX, next its in AL, Next TN... then its 1 day for delivery. Im working that day so i have a family member at my house to wait for it. No calls, no nothing and it never shows up. Now ive had some deliverys come at 7-9pm sometimes so the next day i call up UPS freight. Lady on the phone says she will look into it and call me back within the hour. 3 hours go by i call back.. Get a new guy and he says that they are still checking into it they will call me back... Never get a call. So Saturday, then Sunday they dont answer. Monday comes and i call first thing in the morning. They say UH we dont know where it is, they would have to file paperwork to get people looking for it...Tuesday haven't found it.. Wed i call again and somehow it went from TN back to TX instead of coming to SC. Im at least relieved they found it but pissed its taking 2 weeks to get something. So back on its way I finally get it on Friday.
SAM_1168_zpsaa2c674b.jpg

Cant wait to get get to work so i immediately start to assemble it to at least get it sealed up before i left it for the night.
SAM_1169_zpsd5ef7b2f.jpg

Today i get up pretty excited and get it buttoned up pretty good and ready to go in
SAM_1172_zpsa11c19e9.jpg

Hopefully within the next week or so ill have the time to stick her back in the car and update. Getting a start up tune from Bob Kurgan this go around. Heard nothing but good things about his work and hes been very helpful to me answering tons of my questions. Been a long drawn out rebuild and i hope this one lasts me a long while. My goal is to make around 800rwhp on e-85 which i dont think will be a problem. Sorry for the long read i just needed to vent a little after almost 2 years of pulling my hair out.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Wow, good luck with the MMR motor! I've had similar issues with ups on occasion. Every blue moon they seem to royally screw up a delivery when it's a stones throw from your door.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
That sucks man. I've had experience dealing with shops that are owned by "friends" and getting screwed over. Glad to hear you are going to Kurgan as I have also heard nothing but good things of his tuning capabilities. Sometimes you have to live and learn, unfortunately the learning part usually costs you 1k's, if not 10k's of $ with these cars. Good luck with the new motor and post up results! :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You've surely had your share of issues. I hope the install now goes smoothly and the MMR motor proves to be solid. I'll bet you're going to be very happy.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
damn man thats a hell of a "friend!" Hope everything works out and cant wait to see how it turns out.

mrose75

Established Member
Wow!! I think I would've given up on it by then. Glad it's finally starting to go in your favor.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Boss block stroker, manley rods diamond pistons 9.5.1 cnc'd heads with stage 3 blower cams. Going to run around 21 lbs on the street and might pulley it to 23-25 for the track or if i really need to make the number i want. Was going to run a meth+ 93 setup but now am just going full time e-85.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Back between the towers once again.
SAM_1176_zpscee0ecc4.jpg

Been a while since the front end had some weight on it!
SAM_1175_zpsb4389997.jpg

Cobra03SC

Established Member
The curse continues...arg. Drove the car around my neighborhood a few times and got the oil changed on friday. Very happy, cars running great and sounds amazing. So Saturday and i decide to put some miles on her for the first time in 2 years. All is well i fill up at the gas station and head out do to the local power sports shop to pick up some numbers for my jet ski. Its around 20 miles or so. Drives flawlessly, no overheat no bucking or spitting. Let her sit for about a hour and a half while i walked around and grabbed a bite to eat next door, then i start my journey home. I get about 5 miles from my house when it just cut off. My heart sank and i thought something catastrophic had happened again. Crank it over and its spinning over fine, get out check under the hood and all is well. Scratching my head i go to get back in the car and see a large puddle of gas under the rear. Poke my head under there and sure enough 1 of my feed lines had popped off my push-lock fitting. Car is pretty low i cant quite fit under to fix it so i have a friend bring me a jack. I get under there and of course i have everything the exact length it needed to be so the hose would not fit back on even after i fixed the fitting. So back he goes to get some screw drivers and a razor blade so i can unscrew and cut the mounting points and pull some extra hose from the engine bay. After about 4 hours of being under the car @ 5oclock traffic i finally managed to rig it up and make it home. Its either me or the car thats cursed i dont know what is going on. The fuel lines were on the car for 4 years never touched and it just decided to make my great day into a crappy one.

03cobraracer

Established Member
congrats on finally getting the car done man. sucks about the fuel line but at least it was something simple that can be fixed easily. when I picked my car up recently I filled it up at the gas station and smelled gas and found a puddle under my car as well the fuel hat is leaking.. once I burned about a gallon off it was fine but still wasn't cool lol. It was the first time in 2 years I have driven my car as well.. fix your fuel line and go enjoy it! and post some more pics car looks good, great color!

also what drag wheels are on the back?

Last edited:

Cobra03SC

Established Member
congrats on finally getting the car done man. sucks about the fuel line but at least it was something simple that can be fixed easily. when I picked my car up recently I filled it up at the gas station and smelled gas and found a puddle under my car as well the fuel hat is leaking.. once I burned about a gallon off it was fine but still wasn't cool lol. It was the first time in 2 years I have driven my car as well.. fix your fuel line and go enjoy it! and post some more pics car looks good, great color!

also what drag wheels are on the back?

They are race stars on the rear, i didnt want the car to sit on my almost new et streets while i waited to get it done and possibly have them warp or get a flat spot so i had a set of bald slicks i let her sit on while the car was down. Fixed the line this morning and drove it again and even on a break in tune with no boost its putting a smile on my face.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
bob does amazing things. he did my startup tune on my 03 gt that now has a terminator motor in it.

matter of fact im seeing bob tomorrow to get mine tuned.

I can also tell you I feel your pain. ive got an 03 cobra with a 5.3L stroker turbo build that's been down for 2 years and 5 months! its been apart 3 times.

bob did not do this build on my 5.3L car just to clarify also.

but its been a nightmare and im so worried about whats going to happen next to it...

anyways bob will take great care of you

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Back to the nightmare... Putting some more miles on her today (132 total) and i am coming to a stop at a red light when the motor starts to shake and tick. I of course quickly shut it off and push it to a parking lot and get a buddy to come tow me home... Pulled the plugs all looked good, Compression test, cold all cylinders @160psi.... except #1 @ 0. Im leaning toward a valve, no way to know for sure untill i pull it back out for the 100th time and pull it apart. Called MMR to make sure they were ok with me taking it apart and they said yes, and if it is something wrong they would take care of it 100%. Although the valves and heads were not done by them so if it does turn out to be that then its hitting my pocket again... Anyone want to buy a cheap cobra, i want out of this game.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Back to the nightmare... Putting some more miles on her today (132 total) and i am coming to a stop at a red light when the motor starts to shake and tick. I of course quickly shut it off and push it to a parking lot and get a buddy to come tow me home... Pulled the plugs all looked good, Compression test, cold all cylinders @160psi.... except #1 @ 0. Im leaning toward a valve, no way to know for sure untill i pull it back out for the 100th time and pull it apart. Called MMR to make sure they were ok with me taking it apart and they said yes, and if it is something wrong they would take care of it 100%. Although the valves and heads were not done by them so if it does turn out to be that then its hitting my pocket again... Anyone want to buy a cheap cobra, i want out of this game.

keep the faith brother

im telling you I was ready for gas and a match for my car.

but when its right and done you will be so happy.

just gotta get to that point

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Update, got around to pulling the head today and as i was pulling the valve cover i looked and noticed 1 rocker laying in the head. After looking more closely a comp cam beehive spring was broken in half... Less than 500 total miles on these springs and one already broke? I know mmr cams are not THAT high of a lift that this thing should have broken like this. No damage to the pistons thank god, and no head damage. I had already ordered 4 new valves in anticipation of changing them even though there was no contact made, but looks like ill also be ordering a new spring. Im now worried about the other 31 springs....

Users who are viewing this thread