afr readings and gauges

cobra-k

Established Member
Hey guys, Before winter i was having some troubles with my afr readings. Before i parked it this winter it usually was reading 12-12.5 or a tad higher on WOT pulls. I had it tuned not very long ago, and confirmed with the tuner that everything read nicely off the dyno, as for my gauge i cant give a confirmation what it was reading during those pulls. I did end up replacing my wideband sensor figuring maybe that would be the culprit but im afraid that wasnt the case. I do have the sensor bunged into my x pipe and i do still have the cats installed, could having the cats and having the sensor in the xpipe affect my afr to read a bit leaner? What other possibilities could i be looking at here? the gauge is a AEM wideband.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Where exactly do you have the bung welded on the midpipe? I believe it should be before the cats.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
its on the driver side rear right after the cats

Hmm maybe others will chime in, I've always heard it should be before the cats. But most tuners do the sensor at the tailpipes so I'm not 100% sure how much it does matter?

cobra-k

Established Member
Hmm so I should get it bunged directly into my headers than? Where the sensor is now, would that be likely that it would be reading a bit leaner? It runs on 94

SOVACobra03

I have an addiction......
Established Member
Maybe the cats are having an issue and that's causing the lean conditions. I'd be sure and put it before the cats to eliminate any variables. Most likely thing is a tuning or mechanical issue. Maybe maf issue

ctgreddy

Established Member
cats do not make a difference. The further up in the exhaust it is the more accurate it will be but the difference between where the primary's are and the secondaries is probably .05 so nothing you'll notice. I have an aem and it's within .03 of my works $1000 wideband so if you have a new sensor and are sure there's no exhaust leaks prior to the sensor then take it back for a retune. Might even want to reconsider where you're taking it.

cobra-k

Established Member
cats do not make a difference. The further up in the exhaust it is the more accurate it will be but the difference between where the primary's are and the secondaries is probably .05 so nothing you'll notice. I have an aem and it's within .03 of my works $1000 wideband so if you have a new sensor and are sure there's no exhaust leaks prior to the sensor then take it back for a retune. Might even want to reconsider where you're taking it.

like i said it seems like its off by .5 as it reads 12-12.5 but on the dyno it read accurately at 11.5-12 through the band so i dunno. if youre saying it can be expected and yours is off as well then maybe i have nothing to worry about?

ctgreddy

Established Member
Mine is barely off, less than .1. Double check for an exhaust leak as that will make the sensor read leaner and make sure you've got a good ground. I've seen widebands read some crazy things with bad grounds.

Users who are viewing this thread