AFM powerpipe keeps working it's way off of my v2-sq

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I'm getting sick of having to re connect the afm powerpipe to the blower. it works it's way off after a couple days. anyone else with this problem or have suggestions on how to fix it.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
Take the rubber elbow off. Clean it really good. Then your supposed to clamp the elbow down on the supercharger first before you go to clamp it down to the powerpipe. If it still slips, you may need to adjust the position of the powerpipe slightly so that it doesnt pull back on the elbow after awhile...

allgo90

Established Member
i hate mine too. i want to get a different setup than this rubber elbow.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Take the rubber elbow off. Clean it really good. Then your supposed to clamp the elbow down on the supercharger first before you go to clamp it down to the powerpipe. If it still slips, you may need to adjust the position of the powerpipe slightly so that it doesnt pull back on the elbow after awhile...

thanks, i'll give it a try

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
i hate mine too. i want to get a different setup than this rubber elbow.

i hear ya, i'm trying to come up with something a little better. i still could never understand why no one else makes a power pipe except afm for the 96-98 vorteched cobra. i wish jlt made on in plastic to match the car.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Just thought i'd throw the thought out. I had a bad one on my setup. A good cleaning may be the solution.

Helomech74

Established Member
Not sure about on the Vortech units, but the Prochargers have a 3.75" inlet size on the blower. AFM sends a 4" elbow, so it's a little loose on the blower. If this is the case with the Vortech units you could get a 3.5" to 4" tapered 90 degree silicone elbow and cut it size to replace the one AFM sends. Use the 3.5" side on the blower. It takes a little work to get it on, but once it's stretched on and clamped down, it won't come off.

I don't use an AFM powerpipe, I just made my own, and used the 3.5" elbow and it works like a champ.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You could also try roughening up the inside of the rubber elbow. I did that on a buddies Vortech and it stopped slidding off.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Anyone know what size prochargers intercooler pipes are? im going to do my connections in blue.. I believe they are 3inch..

On my set up the pipes from the blower to the intercooler are 3" and the pipes from the intercooler to TB are 3.5".

Leeroy697

Established Member
I had this problem years ago when I put one on my 95. I even called Rick at AFM and he basically called me an idiot and said that he had never heard of this happening. To fix it I just put a zip tie to the pipe in my inner fender and it has not slipped or moved at all in 3 years. The only way you can see the zip tie is if you crawl under the car and look in the inner fender.

Helomech74

Established Member
All Prochargers piping is 3" except where it goes from the fender to the plastic intake tube. It's a 3" to 3.5" coupler. I ditched all that plastic crap and re routed all my piping, and got rid of as many rubber elbows as I could. It's much better now, and it actually picked up about 1psi of boost in the process. I also moved the MAF from the fender into the engine bay (ditched the 90mm LMAF, and went with a PMAS HPX.)

Here is a pic of my own powerpipe, and how I did the piping to the TB:
DSC00288.gif

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
All Prochargers piping is 3" except where it goes from the fender to the plastic intake tube. It's a 3" to 3.5" coupler. I ditched all that plastic crap and re routed all my piping, and got rid of as many rubber elbows as I could. It's much better now, and it actually picked up about 1psi of boost in the process. I also moved the MAF from the fender into the engine bay (ditched the 90mm LMAF, and went with a PMAS HPX.)

Here is a pic of my own powerpipe, and how I did the piping to the TB:
DSC00288.gif

that looks pretty damn good. i figured out a way and it only took an extra band clamp. i've always known what the problem was, the thickness of the reducer insert and the rubber elbo was a little to thick to get everything nice and snug. i took the insert out and put a band clamp around the thick edge and put it on seperately and cranked it down real good. then i put the rubber elbo on the insert and put another band clamp on it to secure it to the insert. it hasn't moved yet.

Users who are viewing this thread