Afco HE burp

98expo

Established Member
I installed the Afco HE last night. This morning I dumped some coolant in and jumped the pump on. It started to circulate and I noticed that my mix wouldnt be right. So I turned the pump off and removed the hose going to the pump to drain some out.

I reinstalled the hose and started to put some more mix in. Turned the pump back on and now it will not circulate. I have tried to empty the He and tank a few times now, but it will not circulate.

If I take the hose off the lower HE tank I can see the pump is pushing some coolant but not enough to circulate through out the system.

Ive also tried jacking up the car to relieve some bubbles but have had no luck.

What else can I do??

Thanks!

s174

trooper speed
Established Member
I had to pull the hose lose from the drivers side of pump itself that comes down from tank, I think it was air locked, worked great every since.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
It needs to be pressurized. I had the same problem. A plunger fixed it. Zporta with the honors...

241fe0eb.jpg

2nd2none

Established Member
It needs to be pressurized. I had the same problem. A plunger fixed it. Zporta with the honors...

241fe0eb.jpg

haha nice.
I had the exact same problem a few days ago after installing a liquid cooled KB. After hooking up the coolant lines and refilling the heat exchanger coolant I could get the pump to run but it wasn't pumping at all. We tried taking the hoses off at the blower and using a funnel to fill the system with water from those lines. Nothing worked. We figured maybe my pump was shot so I ordered a new one that day. The next day I drove to work and during the day I checked the level and noticed the tank went down a little. As soon as I got home I popped the hood with the engine still running and it was flowing like a champ. Guess the air pocket finally collapsed on its own. Now I have a new pump being delivered tomorrow that will just sit around as a spare.

98expo

Established Member
I am not pleased with the way the hose is ran from the 3x tank to the pump. It's either kinked out of the tank or it goes way down and then up to the pump. This is what I think is causing the air pocket.

I am going to splice a bend from one of the old hoses to the straight Afco supplied to see if I can get a better route.

If all else fails I will try the ol plunger method...lol

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
I am going to splice a bend from one of the old hoses

Don't damage your old hoses. They're expensive if you need to replace them. Your local auto store should have 45* and 90* 3/4" plastic fittings that you can make up any shape you want.

Steve

2nd2none

Established Member
I am not pleased with the way the hose is ran from the 3x tank to the pump. It's either kinked out of the tank or it goes way down and then up to the pump. This is what I think is causing the air pocket.

I am going to splice a bend from one of the old hoses to the straight Afco supplied to see if I can get a better route.

If all else fails I will try the ol plunger method...lol

Thats exactly the reason I was thinking my pump was messed up. When I had a bunch of stuff installed including Moroso tanks I was never told by the shop or did I happen to notice that the hose coming out of the tank going to the pump had a very bad bend/kink in it. Luckily the shop installing my new blower coolant lines brought this up and they went to NAPA and picked up a new hose with a 90* bend that they installed coming off the tank.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Hydrolocked. Turn the system on. Reach under the front of the car and get to the lowest hose. "Milk it". Literally (but without the downward stroke in case you're a farmer). Just keep squeezing until you force the air bubble through. Jacking the car up as you did won't do it. Or use the plunger. Don't run the pump with no fluid very long or you'll burn it up.

Have someone keep an eye on the fluid in the tank to let you know if it's running or not.

Should you decide to go get erector set pieces, do yourself a favor and buy a coupling with a petcock built in so in the future you can drain what you wish without taking off a hose.

bj

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
As BJ said.....MILK IT!!!!

I had to squeeze the hose going from the tank to the pump about 50 times before the air bubble was out. Air pockets are a bitch.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member

241fe0eb.jpg

Haha, that brings back a funny memory. Its the only thing i could get to work after my install, good thing Van answers late night calls.

98expo

Established Member
thanks everyone. I ended up getting a new hose with a 90 bend. It makes the run to the pump much nicer. I poured some fluid in, took the hose off the pump just slightly to burp some air, and then turned the pump on. Flows like a champ.

Wish Afco would include the 90 hose instead of the straight... I would of paid the extra $5 to not of had that headache.

Users who are viewing this thread