Aeromotive returnless system?

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
Is it possible to run the aeromotive pump as a returnless system? I know it's not what is RECOMMENDED but i drive this car everyday. I had a return aeromotive set up on my 98 supercharged cobra but i HATE the sump tank and turns with a 1/4 tank of gas.

Does someone make a pickup for our tank?

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
Ok...decided to go return. Where can i find a pickup for our tanks. My last car was sumped and with the limited track duty my cars sees i just cannot justify it.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
Two many potential problems with returnless systems. I did a TON of research last night.

At the power level i'm going to be with the stroker and turbo set up i must have enough fuel at ALL times.

BLK_03

Established Member
Vortech has a pickup tube that mounts at the factory hat location.

The only issue with ANY sort of pickup is some (most) aftermarket return style pumps require a gravity feed. Make sure if you use a pickup instead of a sump, that the pump will work in a "sucking" fashion, opposed to a gravity feed setup.

Wiseguy

Established Member
If your going return and want to keep your 03 tank. You could mod the stock top hat with your own pickup/return or Modify a Fore single -8an with return to run two 255lph return pumps and a Bap. This should supply your Hp needs. You could always put a older style tank in - bypass the evap system,modify the filler neck. Cost factor for both.

It has been said the walbro Gt pumps can be used in return setup but I do not think it has been confirmed yet....

turbo'd 03

Established Member
If your going return and want to keep your 03 tank. You could mod the stock top hat with your own pickup/return or Modify a Fore single -8an with return to run two 255lph return pumps and a Bap. This should supply your Hp needs. You could always put a older style tank in - bypass the evap system,modify the filler neck. Cost factor for both.

It has been said the walbro Gt pumps can be used in return setup but I do not think it has been confirmed yet....

One of the tech's at HPP has done that setup,not sure how it is working for him though.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I prefer to get away from the returnless system now. I've done a LOT of reading. Only thing i cannot find is a pickup tube for our tanks. I saw that Hermann had made one and i messaged him to see if i sent him mine could he do the same.

I refuse to Sump.

TRBO VNM

you can use a returnless pump in a return system, but not a return pump in a returnless.

since with the returnless system the voltages vary and the pumps are built for that, they will operate fine in a return system where the voltage is constant, but since the return pump is designed for constant voltage, it won't operate properly in a variable voltage system.

that is my understanding of it and what was explained to me. I have installed and there have been a lot of cars that have used a returnless style pump in a return system.

I myself will be going with a return setup and probably Weldon. but I may use the Fore Hat for the return setup. not sure yet.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I found a setup on modular fords that hermann did and i printed pics to bring to a local machine shop and have them fab up a pickup tube.

I am going to run the a1000 pump setup return style like on my last 2 cars. I wanted to stay close to stock, but after this rebuild i'm not doing it again.

Last edited:

Wiseguy

Established Member
True .
Does the gt pump "pop off' at around 85psi like others?(Vpumps) this is why I was not sure if a gt pump would work in a high horsepower return setup. If the fuel pressure is raised to compensate small injectors this could be a problem.

BLK_03

Established Member
I found a setup on modular fords that hermann did and i printed pics to bring to a local machine shop and have them fab up a pickup tube.

I am going to run the a1000 pump setup return style like on my last 2 cars. I wanted to stay close to stock, but after this rebuild i'm not doing it again.

The Aeromotive Eliminator will support more horsepower, is marginally more expensive, and is supposedly much less likely to overheat and shut down than the A1000. Just a heads up.

That being said, my Eliminator has overheated and I've lost fuel pressure several times now.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
Are you running the controller?

I am going to run the controller and if it gives me trouble run another pump in line with it closer to the pickup to help control fuel delivery.

My lines, fittings, regulator, y block, 10 micron, and 100 micron filter came in today. I just need my pump and rails to come in. My motor is supposed to be assembled this weekend. Went and had my valvecovers powder coated satin black and Jason (TrboVNM) has my money on the way to him for the hellion kit :)

Built solid, Built 4r70w, built bottom end, and dainty little turbo. Hello 9's :)

BLK_03

Established Member
Yup.

BatteryRelocate069.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread