AEM failsafe gauge?

jojobee

Established Member
Great i think ill replace my Roush boost gauge with this one in my Roush pod.

Now trying to find some that matches the finish of the failsafe for my dual pillar.

techwerkz

Established Member
So what have some of you setup the failsafe to trigger? Being a PD car, and having an auto ... I had a few ideas, but what has been done?

jojobee

Established Member
I usually recommend lights / LED's / Buzzers which can be found at radioshack.

That way it alerts you when your in a lean condition.

So with a pd blower it isnt as simple as with a turbo to have the gauge reduce the timing, cut the engine etc...

I would feel more confident if there was something mechanical happening when the gauge safety is triggered.

What have you done with PD cars beside lights and buzzers ?

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
I mean honestly you really don't have that many options as far as failsafe triggers go to cut timing/ throttle/ boost.

It's just the nature of how a PD blower works, unless you have a standalone on the car you wont be able to pull timing either.

techwerkz

Established Member
I mean honestly you really don't have that many options as far as failsafe triggers go to cut timing/ throttle/ boost.

It's just the nature of how a PD blower works, unless you have a standalone on the car you wont be able to pull timing either.

Well that's where I want to change things. I got the gauge today. I had a few ideas ... one of which was possibly killing the TPS signal so you go to 0% throttle. Since you can control the trigger delay and time it stays active, if you kill the TPS signal for 2-3 seconds at WOT you should get the hint something is off. The gauge itself flashes and being in the vent pod should be enough of a visible indication.

Pulling timing was obviously another idea, but I didn't really look much into it. To my knowledge there are no timing boxes for these cars, even for the nitrous guys.

Then killing ECU power so the car shuts off, but I don't know how the 6R80 would react to that, and I am just not a big fan of that idea.

I am running a triple hat setup, so if a pump fails to come on, or the hobbs switch goes bad and the car starts to go lean, I need something to help save it.

ghig50

Established Member
as they said you have to view the log to see it.

The Software is very easy to use, One of the best things about this setup is starts logging as soon as the car is running. Will hold like 2 hours of information if you want. Or you can clear it out after every pass and just save a view so you can see boost spikes or belt slip.

IF you get an autometer Tach adapter you can even hook up RPM to and see that in the log. Real nice piece works great on tuning a boost controller

:beer:

EDIT i want to add if you use this with a good boost controller you can hook up the "failsafe" wire to the reduce boost and if it goes lean it will drop your boost and save the engine!!

Looking for more info. I just installed this gauge. It truly is awesome. I am looking for more info on hooking up the green wire for rpm readings. Do you really need an autometer tach adapter? I thought you could tap into one of the coils?

Users who are viewing this thread