AEM 2011 GT cold air intakee

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
Looks great, but why do they insist on including that damn sound tube. Would look 10x better with out that ugly POS ford afterthought attached to it.

wbt

Banned
This intake is perfect. looks great, nice closed design and still using cold air tube, and nice smooth bends. the reason i WONT be buying it is because in traditional AEM fashion they continue to use aluminium plumbing. adapt already AEM! this is no longer 1999. Almost every single intake on the market for every car now uses plastic, carbon fiber, of some sort of the same material to figh against heat soak. all i see this intake doing is heat soaking and not making any power becuase any gains will be offset. im sure top end itll pick up a few ponys, thats all. I would sell my JLT in a seconf if this came in another material tube. Hey, atleast the aftermarket is starting to pick up. thanks for sharing the pics.

Hmmmm....that is a paradigm that needs to be dropped. The air moving through the tube is at such a high rate that it doesn't have time to absorb heat.

Thinking it through in simplest terms one could come to the conclusion that a metal tube would absorb more heat and then radiate that inside affecting the IAT's.

This simply isn't the case. In fact, Jannetty Racing did a test not so long ago of CAI's for the 5th gen Camaro. The plastic tube intakes didn't have any better IAT's than the metal tube intakes nor did they make any more power simply because of the materials used. In fact, the best performing intake is made by CAI, Inc. utilizing an air scoop from ADM. This is a metal tube intake BTW.

Some food for thought. The metal vs. plastic debate is simply a wives-tale.

Last edited:

Classic_Engr

Hmmmm....that is a paradigm that needs to be dropped. The air moving through the tube is at such a high rate that it doesn't have time to absorb heat.

Thinking it through in simplest terms one could come to the conclusion that a metal tube would absorb more heat and then radiate that inside affecting the IAT's.

This simply isn't the case. In fact, Jannetty Racing did a test not so long ago of CAI's for the 5th gen Camaro. The plastic tube intakes didn't have any better IAT's than the metal tube intakes nor did they make any more power simply because of the materials used. In fact, the best performing intake is made by CAI, Inc. utilizing an air scoop from ADM. This is a metal tube intake BTW.

Some food for thought. The metal vs. plastic debate is simply a wives-tale.

You are right on the money! I followed that Jannety Racing test closely and the intake tube material had no impact on the results. Like you said, the intake air is moving too fast at that point to readily absorb any transferred heat. What's more, I was at SEMA and learned that AEM uses a ceramic flake in their powdercoating to reduce heat transfer even further, so the aluminum vs. plastic tube argument has no credence. BTW, the intake with the highest HP gain in that Camaro test used a dryflow filter from AEM, so I think this kit is good to go.

What is important? The overall design and length of the system, where it draws air from, the location of the MAF and IAT sensors (if separate), and the capacity of the air filter. That said, this looks like one of the better systems out there. However, Ford's stock intake is already a decent design, so I'd bet your lucky to see a 10HP gain with this intake--in stock tune. Now, if you do a little tuning and...

I also think that's AEM's synthetic "dryflow" filter, so no oil = easy to wash and re-use. I can't wait to see this in person.:banana:

Last edited:

65mph_Roll

Established Member
The 'dry' filter is import mentality. Seems like the Japanise car guys run next to nothing filtration-wise. My buddy has a big-single supra with what looks like a piece of course foam as the element - seems scary for engine protection!

Anyway - maybe this is as good as an oil'ed filter for engine protection?

Users who are viewing this thread