AED's 2016 A6 Project car first 1/4 mile data Stock vs Tuned:

86merc

Established Member
Oh snap! Well let me see if I can find a cheap SCT handheld. Haha

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Unless something has changed in the last day or two, He doesn't tune with HP Tuners..

Shaun@AED

Shaun are you tuning with HP tuners?

I have not taken the leap.
Although Eric Brooks has been doing great things at HP, I have my reservations still.
Converting my current work via SCT to HPT would not be an easy task, and HP is missing tables I currently use in SCT. Of course SCT is missing some things in HPT I'd like to use. Go figure.

Shaun@AED

String of 12.1's tonight. The MPH is there but the 60's are killing me. The DA does not help either, these cars don't like the heat.
Interesting note the car ran near identical times shifting the 1-2 at 6650 all the way to 7350, so short shifting is really not an issue.
e1b4efb2-ae51-4475-b2be-5add9510c45f_zps5gmqqwin.jpg

myke hunt

Feugo
Established Member
String of 12.1's tonight. The MPH is there but the 60's are killing me. The DA does not help either, these cars don't like the heat.
Interesting note the car ran near identical times shifting the 1-2 at 6650 all the way to 7350, so short shifting is really not an issue.
e1b4efb2-ae51-4475-b2be-5add9510c45f_zps5gmqqwin.jpg
I may be able to offer some insight on the 60'

My best launches came from getting really high on the stock converter and going WOT while dumping the brakes. I would take it as high as the track would take which was usually 2100-2200ish. Almost like a quick slip and dump on an mt82 to avoid heating up the fluid. It would flash up to 2400-2500 and chirp and go. I managed a 1.76 on the stock converter doing this with a 28" with just the tune and catback with e50 and a 1.78 with 93 octane

You can kind of hear it in this video (1.68 here best was 1.64) although boosted but same concept https://youtu.be/WHyukoEoph0

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

I may be able to offer some insight on the 60'

My best launches came from getting really high on the stock converter and going WOT while dumping the brakes. I would take it as high as the track would take which was usually 2100-2200ish. Almost like a quick slip and dump on an mt82 to avoid heating up the fluid. It would flash up to 2400-2500 and chirp and go. I managed a 1.76 on the stock converter doing this with a 28" with just the tune and catback with e50 and a 1.78 with 93 octane

You can kind of hear it in this video (1.68 here best was 1.64) although boosted but same concept https://youtu.be/WHyukoEoph0

I've been experimenting with launch and if I'm not hard enough on the brakes as I push on the converter to 2000RPM the tires ball up and lose their sidewall, which results in tire spin since the sidewall is already used up. When I've gotten it right I think my best 60ft is a measly 1.84.
IMO a stiffer sidewall would net better 60's and a more stable ride, but I can't add tubes to these 17's. I am thinking about a tire change.

myke hunt

Feugo
Established Member
I've been experimenting with launch and if I'm not hard enough on the brakes as I push on the converter to 2000RPM the tires ball up and lose their sidewall, which results in tire spin since the sidewall is already used up. When I've gotten it right I think my best 60ft is a measly 1.84.
IMO a stiffer sidewall would net better 60's and a more stable ride, but I can't add tubes to these 17's. I am thinking about a tire change.

Yeah dude I have to literally LEG PRESS the brake pedal lol and it helps. I ran the stiff sidewall 305/40/18 NT555R with great results and I think I could low 1.7x on the NT05R 275/40/17. I may do some testing cause I sold the blower and I'll be NA before twins. I'd look at the MH which is what I run now and they're a really light tire. You on 91? Or liquid gold?

Shaun@AED

I've run the M&H DR's before and I don't like them.
The DR I'm looking at is the MT 305/45/17 ET Street R. Aside from M&H it's the only full size (27.5+) DR I can find for this application.

86merc

Established Member
I liked the M&H drag radials. I went 1.35 on the 275/40/17 in a 3800# car. Before I turned the car up. But I think the MT is a better radial and a great choice for sure.

I agree, these cars are too heavy for a non-stiff sidewall slick/tire.

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

I liked the M&H drag radials. I went 1.35 on the 275/40/17 in a 3800# car. Before I turned the car up. But I think the MT is a better radial and a great choice for sure.

I agree, these cars are too heavy for a non-stiff sidewall slick/tire.

M&H is known for their soft sidewalls. I had the 275/50/17's on a twin turbo Fox that ran low 10's/high 9's. These Hoosiers I'm running on the 16 very much remind me of driving that Turbo Fox on the M&H's. Sketchy as hell unless going perfectly straight.

I miss my stiff sidewall Goodyear slicks!

86merc

Established Member
Well, my car was boring to drive as it went straight every pass. haha So maybe I didn't have the same kind of experience with them as you did. At that time, M&H just came out with the first set of 17" drag radials that were taller than 26". So I had no choice anyways. Other than put a 15" wheel on the car. But what fun is that! lmao

I usually use the M/T stiff sidewall slicks. I have yet to use Goodyear slicks. I can understand and appreciate the reasoning of trying to use one tire of the progression of the car. But it will probably lead to them not working as well with one combo and better with another. Nature of the game I guess. But keep up posted on progress. Always fun to watch documented builds like this.

myke hunt

Feugo
Established Member
I have noticed that I get sway with these MH radials vs any other radial and I thought it was just my head playing tricks. The ET R is a straight BEAST of a tire.

[video=youtube;QcJVOL902x0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcJVOL902x0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

You can see it swaying here

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

Yes, that's what I get with the Hoosiers, sway after the 1-2 shift.

I do agree tires are specific for the application and I have the wrong tires IMO.

myke hunt

Feugo
Established Member
Yes, that's what I get with the Hoosiers, sway after the 1-2 shift.

I do agree tires are specific for the application and I have the wrong tires IMO.
I think once you load up e85 and get aggressive downlow with timing and the right tires you'll do 11.7-11.8@117-118 since you're doing well on 91 octane.

Crazy what these cars can do with a tune and some corn. Have you gotten S mode to shift as firm as D? I know there was a disconnect on the two for a while for shift mannerisms

Last edited:

Slow Five-O

Established Member
Is there a difference between the S and D for drag racing AFTER a tune?Shift points or firmer shifts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaun@AED

I think once you load up e85 and get aggressive downlow with timing and the right tires you'll do 11.7-11.8@117-118 since you're doing well on 91 octane.

Crazy what these cars can do with a tune and some corn. Have you gotten S mode to shift as firm as D? I know there was a disconnect on the two for a while for shift mannerisms

That's next on my list actually. 'D' is where I've been doing all the work so far while leaving 'S' as close to stock as possible, but I think I need to make it the other way around based on input from a customer running on street tires.

myke hunt

Feugo
Established Member
That's next on my list actually. 'D' is where I've been doing all the work so far while leaving 'S' as close to stock as possible, but I think I need to make it the other way around based on input from a customer running on street tires.

Imho D should be for Driving and S for racing

I would have liked D to have a loser converter feeling for smooth accel and softer shifts as well.

I always thought S sound be a tighter converter and way more firm shifts while maintaining that same feeling through paddle use.

I never got that far before we started tuning for the blower and forgot about it. I think tune like that would be great to break up the modes

Users who are viewing this thread