AED Tuning

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
Okay so about 2 weeks ago I contacted Shaun @ AED for a Email Tune
He had me datalog my car and send him the files, I was using SCT stock 93 Octane tune
He immediately noticed I had Massive Knocks and told me I had to fix the knocks before he can do any tuning.
I had no idea where to start or what could even cause the knocks.
He told me to check my exhaust again and make sure it was not hitting the chassis
After checking it and sending datalogs again, The massive knocks was still there, I then made a post on here getting advice from other users that had the problem and everyone told me its most likely bad fuel and to use octane booster and chevron or shell gas
Long story short, Shaun told me to try Lucas Octane Booster since it was the best octane booster that I could get my hands on and like magic, The knocks went away
This process lasted about 2 weeks
I just wanna Thank Everyone for the Help & Most of all Shaun @ AED for responding to emails very quickly, He even worked with me on weekends, He continued to help me the best way possible to get the problem solved. I think we had a total of 50 emails sent back & forth
Now I have a BAD ASS Performance & Drag tune !
It was definitely a difference in power, throttle response and shift timing being as I have a A6
It was well worth the wait and money spent, Customer Service was Just outstanding !! Giving credit where credit is due !
AED !!!

helloWorld

Established Member
Sounds like my story with AED. I brought my car back to the shop who did my most recent exhaust install and the installer and I put my car onto his lift and we both looked at everything under the car. We even tried manipulating the heat shielding. (Exhaust shop was great, they did this with me after hours and free of charge!) I was just too stubborn to believe that fuel was causing my knock.

I broke down, paid like $65 for six gallons of pump 100 octane from the local Harley Davidson and my knock went away. Now, I run E-85 full time when I can.

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
Sounds like my story with AED. I brought my car back to the shop who did my most recent exhaust install and the installer and I put my car onto his lift and we both looked at everything under the car. We even tried manipulating the heat shielding. (Exhaust shop was great, they did this with me after hours and free of charge!) I was just too stubborn to believe that fuel was causing my knock.

I broke down, paid like $65 for six gallons of pump 100 octane from the local Harley Davidson and my knock went away. Now, I run E-85 full time when I can.

That exhaust shop was great ! Free charge , can't beat that
It was hard believing the samething also, I was always told that there's no such thing as "bad gas" my dad drives petroleum trucks for over 30 years and told me it all comes from the same place but he was definitely wrong
Well good to see you fixed your problem as well
I will run the octane booster for now on with every fill-up

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Shaun @ AED is a great guy. I had a similar issue and filled the car with a few gallons of 100 Octane. Some of the knock went away and the car feels better. Shaun suggested Torco and I dumped a bottle in and the car feels even better, although, I do not have a log or a dyno chart of the knock going away with Torco, it just feels like it.

AED FTMFW!!!!!

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
That exhaust shop was great ! Free charge , can't beat that
It was hard believing the samething also, I was always told that there's no such thing as "bad gas" my dad drives petroleum trucks for over 30 years and told me it all comes from the same place but he was definitely wrong
Well good to see you fixed your problem as well
I will run the octane booster for now on with every fill-up
Just a little note for you since I live close to a small gasoline distribution hub. All of the local gas stations get fuel from there (BP, Clark, Speedway, Sunoco, Shell) I would be more inclined to believe that the problem lies with that particular stations tanks versus the gas quality. Gasoline storage plays a BIG part in the quality of the fuel.

JDos1

Established Member
Just a little note for you since I live close to a small gasoline distribution hub. All of the local gas stations get fuel from there (BP, Clark, Speedway, Sunoco, Shell) I would be more inclined to believe that the problem lies with that particular stations tanks versus the gas quality. Gasoline storage plays a BIG part in the quality of the fuel.

This. Also keep in mind that 93 octane doesn't sell in nearly the quantities that 87 octane does. It's not uncommon for smaller gas stations to go a couple of months between 93 tank fills. Plenty of time for moisture to enter the tank and octane ratings to lower.

AutoRed5.0

Established Member

That's what my dad was explaining to me, most gas stations get the same gas from the same place, we're only paying for the name brand but you're definitely right, Maybe it is within the gas station, I was getting gas from on base, Everybody pump gas here so it usually goes out pretty fast but I can tell the quality from when I'm here to when I go home in New Orleans, Gas is much much better there, my car runs way different when I'm home

AutoRed5.0

Established Member
Shaun @ AED is a great guy. I had a similar issue and filled the car with a few gallons of 100 Octane. Some of the knock went away and the car feels better. Shaun suggested Torco and I dumped a bottle in and the car feels even better, although, I do not have a log or a dyno chart of the knock going away with Torco, it just feels like it.

AED FTMFW!!!!!

Nice !! He suggested Torco to me as well but no one sells it around here and ordering it would take to long
Lucas is actually really good, my knock was Massive !! And the Lucas made it to completely away but like you said, you definitely can feel it

Mark Aubele

Established Member
These cars are very sensitive to octane. One of the reasons I went with E85. Shaun was awesome to work with for me as well.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
The blended 93 around here is shit, had a similar issue with lots of knock showing up in the datalog. My knock was partly caused by the shitty JBA x-pipe (no longer on the car/longtubes now) being really close to the transmission cross-member. After I clearanced it with a BFH, it improved, but I still had some knock and tried 4-5 different stations and brands. This is why I made the jump to E85 and haven't looked back.

FWIW The valero by my house produced the least knock regarding 93 pump gas..

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
Damn...so for a weekend warrior car this makes me just want to run a bottle of Torco with every tank. About to get myself an AED tune as well.

DaBigBone

Established Member
Awesome to hear! Can't wait to pull the trigger on an AED tune in the next few months

roadPilot

Established Member
That's what my dad was explaining to me, most gas stations get the same gas from the same place, we're only paying for the name brand but you're definitely right, Maybe it is within the gas station, I was getting gas from on base, Everybody pump gas here so it usually goes out pretty fast but I can tell the quality from when I'm here to when I go home in New Orleans, Gas is much much better there, my car runs way different when I'm home
Many stations do, in fact, receive product that was dropped from the same racks at the same terminal. So the base product can be the same. However, the difference between Shell or Mobil or Texaco isn't the base product, per se, but is in the additives that go into their fuels. These are referred to as "branded" fuels. Think of each brand as being Kentucky Fried Chicken. Each have their own secret 11 herbs & spices, event though they all buy their chicken from the same place. The fuel that gets delivered to all the Tom, Dick & Harry gas stations does NOT have the "special herbs and spices" of the branded fuels (they have basic additives, but not the "super cleaners" or whatever the branded fuel is advertising). Those fuels are referred to as "unbranded" fuel. That said, the refineries are owned and operated by the big oil companies, and these refineries are where the terminals (thousands of them across the US) get their fuel that is sold and delivered to many different stations. For example, the Marathon refinery in River Rouge, MI produces various grades of gasoline, diesel, kerosene, AVGAS, and other fuels products that go to many terminals in MI and OH (mostly) which, in turn, blend (at the rack, mostly) for many different branded fuels.

That's a very basic explanation of how it works.

roadPilot (the guy who used to work for a downstream petroleum distributor)

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
all BRANDS of fuel use a slightly different recipe the get to the octane they want.and yes it comes from same place.were can i buy TORCO octane booster?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Many stations do, in fact, receive product that was dropped from the same racks at the same terminal. So the base product can be the same. However, the difference between Shell or Mobil or Texaco isn't the base product, per se, but is in the additives that go into their fuels. These are referred to as "branded" fuels. Think of each brand as being Kentucky Fried Chicken. Each have their own secret 11 herbs & spices, event though they all buy their chicken from the same place. The fuel that gets delivered to all the Tom, Dick & Harry gas stations does NOT have the "special herbs and spices" of the branded fuels (they have basic additives, but not the "super cleaners" or whatever the branded fuel is advertising). Those fuels are referred to as "unbranded" fuel. That said, the refineries are owned and operated by the big oil companies, and these refineries are where the terminals (thousands of them across the US) get their fuel that is sold and delivered to many different stations. For example, the Marathon refinery in River Rouge, MI produces various grades of gasoline, diesel, kerosene, AVGAS, and other fuels products that go to many terminals in MI and OH (mostly) which, in turn, blend (at the rack, mostly) for many different branded fuels.

That's a very basic explanation of how it works.

roadPilot (the guy who used to work for a downstream petroleum distributor)

10 points to you explaining how it works. This coming from someone who hauled the stuff for years. What goes into the the tanker depends on what card you slide in when loading it.

IGO 202

Established Member
I too am a Shaun fan, his tune REALLY woke my bolt-on car up. He also spent a lot of time on the phone or by email with me.......couldn't be happier.

Has anyone compared 93 ethanol to 93 100% gasoline on the dyno?

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread