AED Tuned: First Impression

Boss949

Established Member
AED Tuned: First Impression: Drag Race Update

I just had the AED tunes installed (Performance/Lopey/Drag) along with Airaid Parnelli Jones CAI.

Now, I don't have a baseline dyno to compare before and after. And with the traffic tonight not many chances to really open up.

However, my first impression is WOW. There is a very noticeable increase in performance.

Lopey Idle Tune is like 4 X's better than TracKey Idle. The car shakes....
Customer Service from Shaun is extraordinary.

One Problem: Especially in the Lopey Idle tune the backfire from side exhausts has gone insane. I do have the Cat Deletes. With the TracKey, the bark and crackle was cool. But with the Lopey, its over the top. So, I'll probably look seriously at an X pipe.

I'll try to take it to the track tomorrow night and get some real results.

Friday Night Drags at Texas Motor Speedway. No lights/timers, etc. Cars are set up by class and I'm in Sportsman, which is 8 Cyl, NA, Drag Radials ok. Since no timers, there are no race slips; just race and win; losers go home (you can buy back in on first race only and only one time)

I'm running the AED Performance tune. I didn't use the Drag tune because I'm running the stock Pirelli's; Track is not prepped and first time with this tune so I want to get a feel for it.

Launched at 15-1800 RPM, no power shifting.

First Race: 2012 Camaro SS, 6 speed; Boss wins.
Second Race: 2005 CTS V (stock) Boss wins by a bunch
Third Race: 2011 GT 5.0 with Bama Tune Boss wins
Fourth Race in Quarter finals: 2014 GT 5.0, tuned, headers, new MT ET Street Radials. He beat me two weeks ago in Semi's. He was tuned (i wasn't) both of us oem tires; beat me by a nose. He added the MT's this week; He hooked up way better with the DR's and I just couldn't keep from some spinning. It was close; but it's a loss.

Impressions on AED tune? Definite difference in performance on the track; felt it pull much harder. In the past, when I got close to or probably right on the 7500, the rev limiter kicks in. Of course with tune it's raised up, so she just keeps pulliing like a freight train.

I've got to add DR's this week.

Last edited:

DallasBoss

Established Member
I really want an AED tune, but keep delaying due t o warranty concerns. But I'm pretty sure I'll break down and do it, along with ARH headers and an Airaid intake.

It would be really cool to see an in car video! Congrats on your new power!

Boss949

Established Member
Dallas. I'll try to get an in car. Could take a while. I might go to TMS Friday Night Drags. I made semi finals a couple of weeks ago. Got beat by a tuned GT Auto. We'll see

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Do you have the restrictor plates in or is it wide open? Maybe some 5/8" disks or qtp cut outs could help.

Boss949

Established Member
Do you have the restrictor plates in or is it wide open? Maybe some 5/8" disks or qtp cut outs could help.

Wide Open! I've thought about that. When I had the dealer take out te discs, I didn't receive them from the dealer and really didn't care ( my mistake for not following up). So if I want some more plates, I' ll have to find them.

However, I'm waiting to install a Torque Arm Kit in the next few weeks and the application may require a change to the X pipe anyway, so Ill just manipulate the decels when I have to.

I'm a huge fan of the side exhaust. BUT the AED lopey idle is so good that I would rather do the X pipe if necessary for suspension advantage with torque kit.

Ochoblanco

Established Member
Wide Open! I've thought about that. When I had the dealer take out te discs, I didn't receive them from the dealer and really didn't care ( my mistake for not following up). So if I want some more plates, I' ll have to find them.

However, I'm waiting to install a Torque Arm Kit in the next few weeks and the application may require a change to the X pipe anyway, so Ill just manipulate the decels when I have to.

I'm a huge fan of the side exhaust. BUT the AED lopey idle is so good that I would rather do the X pipe if necessary for suspension advantage with torque kit.

You will feel and hear the idle just fine without the side pipes...get an offroad X or Prochamber or whatever and let her breathe!

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Post some sound clips when you have the spare time. Congrats on the new power BTW it must be a blast to drive

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
Awesome, aed makes great power! warranties are worthless, i feel people buy warranties and not cars. If and when i blow something up im just happy there is great places on this site to bulletproof it.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Is the lope tune separate with the drag and performance tunes? What I mean is, when the performance tune is on will you get that cammed sound? Or is the lopey idle tune just that, a lope idle only with no increased performance, throttle response, etc?

Boss949

Established Member
Is the lope tune separate with the drag and performance tunes? What I mean is, when the performance tune is on will you get that cammed sound? Or is the lopey idle tune just that, a lope idle only with no increased performance, throttle response, etc?

I'll quote Shaun from AED:

Lopey idle is identical to the performance tune aside from idle. It will degrade the performance of Cats over time, that is the only issue with running it full time.
Drag tune is identical to the performance tune aside from having advance track and traction control disabled, along with a few TQ management changes. Expect warning lights with that tune

Boss949

Established Member
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread