aed customer service. .. unhappy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
This the point people are missing. If i have an issue im going to ask direct questions to get it fixed. Im going to say it doesnt work & expect someone to just pry stuff from me. People dont understand how busy these tuners/people are & think they sit around twiddling their thumbs all day.

That's because people have come into this thread with a predisposition to chunk stones at Shaun after someone already threw the first one. They ignore some pretty straight forward dialogue and facts and just want to rip faces off.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
There have been far more satisfied customers from AED than there have been unsatisfied. So end of the day, the stats say it all.

Stanger00

Established Member
I cant find where the OP asked AED for troubleshooting help on why his car failed an OBDII check.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
It seems like a bit of a misunderstanding that got taken way too personally. That's really all I have to say, and I think that Shaun should distance himself from this thread. Minds are made up, lines are drawn. There's nothing that anyone can say from this point that's going to change anyone's opinion. It's obviously getting to him, so I'd say for him to just drop it if the OP isn't interested in working with him any longer. Cooler heads.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
But but but... The customer is always right, right?

Guy doesn't ask for help, then acts like a complete child and runs his mouth to AED and expects Sean to receive that differently and bend over backwards for you? OP, wtf did you expect him to reply when you told him off? Get over yourself and go bother another tuner. You're the type of customer that gets "X'd" at service at every dealer I presume... Lemme guess, IF they actually let you get a loaner car, it takes MONTHS? Guess what buddy, it's not a fluke!

streetone01

SVT
Established Member
Wtf are you talking about? I expected some helpful response or a simple I cant help you, as any customer deserves. Running my mourh? I just spoke my mind by telling hin I could tell he didnt give a shit, which was obvious. I am all done with this thread as im sure everyone is. People saw shauns true colors wirh his comments.
good bye.

lovebread

Established Member
Tuner != Tech Support. They tune your car, sometimes install parts, but there is no way for him to even begin to diagnose the root cause without data logging.

A quick google would have gotten you more answers than 5 pages of words and troubleshooting via dick measuring. Why don't you take your car to a local shop that can actually touch your car instead of someone 3000 miles away.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
I must say, I am impressed with that response. One of the best rebuttal ever on any forum. You would make a awesome attorney Justin81...lol! *clapping*

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Shaun, I envy your tuning skills, accomplishments, dedication to the trade, participation to the forum and contributions to the future of Ford Racing products.

Does that sound like something a hater would say??? I have a Lund tune. I didn't spend 1 second Datalogging or transpiring with my tuner to get it right. I monitored it on my livewire for a few days and put the Livewire into the trunk when all was 100%. I do not wave the Lund banner, put it into my signature or force it down anyone's throat that my tune was spotless first time out.
When it comes to hating on a tuner, I save that for BAMA. They earned it.

I am in this thread because I see something that others don't apparently. I see a guy who was under the impression (by what you posted in the above link) that by using your tune he would be able to pass emissions with no cats and your tune revision.
He didn't. When he inquired with you (in the form of some questions) it appears as though you gave him a redundant answer. No matter how technical it sounded or how you may have thought it evaded your obligation to move any further with the customer the fact is the answer you gave offered zero help for him.

Here is my last example and i'll be finished with this thread and happy to move on as I'm sure I have nothing more to add.

I sell a guy a 2000HP Powerglide for his race car. He takes it out and snaps the input shaft right in half with his 1200HP car. The customer calls me and says hey "I broke the input shaft in the 2000HP glide with only 1200hp."

Here's my answer to the customer.

"Well, After an input shaft made of Aeromet is finished it's heat treated to a certain temperature to create a specific hardness. If it breaks beoynd that point of strength it means the metal was over powered beyond it's capabilities. "

Did you find that helpful if you're the customer with the broken input shaft? I mean, I answered his question, right?

I'm going to say one thing, If I went on to a website and saw 1 person claiming i'm short and evasive I would take that personal and make sure that no one else ever got that feeling from me ever again. That along with my apologies to the initial customer that felt that way. You would never hear about how busy I am, how much trucks in the shop, or it's my sisters B-day, or I got locked out of the house, or I have to many emails to return, or how my dog has worms, HBO was canceled , LAw & Order was a rerun.......NONTHING!

I'd just fix it.

forgot to quote. ^^^

SVTPete83

Established Member
Tuner != Tech Support. They tune your car, sometimes install parts, but there is no way for him to even begin to diagnose the root cause without data logging.

A quick google would have gotten you more answers than 5 pages of words and troubleshooting via dick measuring. Why don't you take your car to a local shop that can actually touch your car instead of someone 3000 miles away.
This about sums it up for me.

Beernuts

Established Member
Both sides are at fault here IMO. OP got frustrated and blew up in less than a couple of hours of email exchanges (its not like it had been days.) Shaun probably could have done more to assist his paying customer.

Part of my job as an engineer involves remotely troubleshooting (when I am not physically there) prototype military vehicles being tested in some of the harshest conditions on the planet - death valley, arctic circle, etc. I do this via J1939 datalogs. Its not uncommon to get a halfass report w/ datalog from a pissed off mechanic or driver who spent some time on the side of the road. I don't get short or pissy with them, or critique their lack of information - I just tell them to relax, I'll take care of them, and start from square one. Its not fun, but it comes with the job. There's also a certain satisfaction in successfully helping someone from 2000mi away, but thats just me personally.

Voltwings

Established Member
This is Shaun and I's conversation regarding my CJ install. I have trimmed part of the responses to just keep the relevant bits since I like to type walls of text:

Hello Shaun,

I Installed my CJ manifold this evening and ran into a problem. I made sure everything was tight, returned the ECU to stock, flashed the new map, and when It started up my STFT were about 40%. Assuming there was a vacuum leak somewhere, some friends and I went over everything we could for a few hours to no avail. While I’m new to the coyote, im not new to cars… but for the life of me couldn’t find a leak anywhere. I know the early cobra jet models had problems with coming apart, and before I get to drastic I’ll check again tomorrow afternoon if I missed something stupid (which is almost always the case), but I also wanted to check with you. Thanks Shaun, and any input you have on what could possibly be leaking, common things people miss or overlook… would be greatly appreciated.

One last thing, my passenger side valve cover hose (where the PCV valve is correct?) instantly collapses when the car is turned on. I imagine the CJ is creating significantly more vacuum, but this is still odd to me. I removed the hose completely and just had my finger over the hole on the manifold but the trims did not change. At any rate, that’s where im sitting, hoping to hear back from you, thanks.

*(Btw, I later found out that last part was because the hose I was using was too weak, replaced with silicone reinforced PCV hose and no more issues)

Shaun's response the next morning, since I sent my email around 11:00 pm:

(message trimmed)... I am assuming you have the other valve cover hose hooked up to the intake track,
but if am only speculating as I have not seen what you have done in person.
You can send me pics of the setup if you like.

Sounds about right? He has no idea what I have done with the car, but is willing to help diagnose and receive pictures via email to do what he can. Shaun and I later found the problem, and the car has been rock solid ever since.

_Snake_

Established Member
No, I do not believe you guys do 'get it'.

9:35 AM PST From Doug
Hi shaun. You tuned my car last summer. I would like to get a revision for Pypes long tubes and x pipe. That is the only change.

9:53 AM PST from AED
Requested updates attached:

1:15 PM PST from Doug:
I just took the car for an inspection before I do the long tubes and it failed. It failed for emmisions not ready, I have an easy 2000 miles on this flash. Are the rear O2's turned off?

(AED checks tune to verify Rear O2's are ON and the tune change for Rear O2 monitors is correct)
2:43 PM PST from AED:
Rear O2's are ON.

2:44 PM PST from Doug:
Well, I failed and gave it plenty of time to ready.

2:47 PM PST from AED: (I believe THIS is where some are saying I am being Rude, however it is 100% accurate.)
I simply keep all 4 O2's on and calibrate the rears to NOT look for additional O2 saturation from the Catalyst.
The rest is up the ECU to complete the monitors, I can not force that.

2:55 PM PST from Doug:
How long will that take its been nearly a year and 2000 miles.

2:58 PM PST from AED:
I've had customers report they complete in 60 miles.

3:01 PM PST from Doug:
Thanks for the help..... the car is 100% stock aside from cat deletes. You advertised it would pass before I purchaed from you. I can see you give a shit now. Thanks.

Note the prompt response to customer inquiries, despite the 'short' answers.
No where in this email thread does Doug ask for advice or help on what could be going on with his car. Within 18 minutes of my first email response to his Rear O2 question he fly's off the handle. It is clear to me he was pissed off from the beginning when his car failed the emissions test and was simply looking for a 'reason' to fly off the handle.

How do I know his car does not have any trouble codes? How do I know it does not have any intake or exhaust leaks? How do I know it hadn't had a KAM reset recently? Or that the Idle lope tune was not being run? How do I know what Monitors did not clear? What if it was his Evap? Or the Misfrie monitor? Fuel system monitor? EGR? Seriously?

Why is it immediately MY issue?

Why didn't you ask your customer those questions during that initial conversation? This thread would have never been started.

blackcoyote13

Established Member
I've had both a remote tune and a dyno tune from Shaun. All in all, I've had a good experience. There were times that I could tell that my tons of questions were getting tiresome, which in an ideal world for customer service the customer shouldnt see that ever. However, we're all human and I can vouch for Shaun's expertise and the quality of the tune. I have no complaints. :)

Mike Rousch

Established Member
In comparison my work load is extremely small to what Shaun has and I still get 60-100 emails a day for tuning/revisions. I am sure he may seem a little short sometimes but when you deal with that many customers a day that is the way it has to be if you want a timely response.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
I really don't see what the problem is here. Since when did short and direct answers in a timely manner become rude?

diagnosis-butthurt.jpg

1slo5ohh

Established Member
Why didn't you ask your customer those questions during that initial conversation? This thread would have never been started.

I'm not going to waste my time reading 5 pages of pissing and moaning and what I can assume is just the normal "**** shauns tunes X toooooner is better"vs"shaun is the only good tooooner around phucks the other tooneerrrz" bullshit but by looking at the his time line of emails I don't see the issue. He answered in resonable amount of time and he answered the questions asked. The customer didn't have to wait days for a response and to get answers to questions he asked, whats the big deal? Instead of going 0 to bitch fit at the speed of sound, why didn't he just say "What do you think could be the cause? Do you have any advice?" He answer his question about how long he thinks it would take, he responded with his other customers telling him 60 miles, then he goes diva. Whats so difficult about going from asking a question, receiving your answer to said question, then asking another question? Its not like Shaun wasn't responding. I don't get the panty twisted shit that goes on around here. Do your guys mencies sync up or something?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread