Advice/Opinions on a 2008 Ford F250 Super Duty Turbo Diesel

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Wow. I have been wanting a diesel but not now. My 2000 F150 with the 5.4 get 14 mpg and 12 - 12.5 towing the Cobra on a HD car trailer. I'll keep my gas truck.

It might, but go up a grade the diesel is going to be much easier towing. If you don't tow alot gas is probably the better bet, if you tow alot the diesel is the way to go.

ModularFan

Established Member
Thanks for all the input guys. I am very curious to see what the price of Diesel will go to.

Considering my EVO takes 93 and when I fill it up It cost roughly $30 and I get about 220miles before my fuel light comes on.

I hear Diesels get $500 + miles to a tank but cost $100 to fill up. Not too much worse when you think about it.

Can I have what your smoking. Id like to try it. A diesel car yes, a truck hell no. unless it's a small v6

Last edited:

Grunnsetning

Established Member
Stock, horrible turbo lag, terrible fuel mileage.
H&S tuned and DPF removed, unreal throttle response, mileage increase of 3-4 MPG driving normally. I am running about 550 HP 1050 Ft/Lbs. It is insane. Sadly how the truck sits now it will last longer than factory.
The factory DPF puts into regen which dumps fuel on the exhaust stoke causing 7-8% fuel in the oil.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I thought the whole point of the sequential turbos was to get rid of turbo lag?

It doesn't have turbo lag. What he is describing is a delay built into the tune to prevent the truck from producing much soot. Basically any tune on the market will remove the delay, even if you do not remove the emissions equipment.

SRT-4 Turbo 7

Established Member
I have been told by numerous people to delete the DPF and tune it.

Once my warranty is finished I might have to try this.

Grunnsetning

Established Member
It doesn't have turbo lag. What he is describing is a delay built into the tune to prevent the truck from producing much soot. Basically any tune on the market will remove the delay, even if you do not remove the emissions equipment.

Technically yes he is correct, not actually turbo lag but who cares what it is called when you almost get t-boned trying to turn into traffic because your 500-600 ft/lb truck wont ****ing go.
With the H&S my only concern is "going" too fast.

SRT-4 Turbo 7

Established Member
i love my spartan set up. I like the 210 tune the best for dd.:beer:

Are you running the 210 tune with just the dpf delete in the stock exhaust or do you have a full 4inch turbo back exhaust and an intake?

I am only going to do the DPF delete in the stock exhaust and a tuner. Trying to decide between H&S and Spartan. I like that with H&S you can switch tunes on the fly. I have so much more research to do. I am really only interested in doing this to increase fuel mileage.

scotty98

8 Ribs
Established Member
Are you running the 210 tune with just the dpf delete in the stock exhaust or do you have a full 4inch turbo back exhaust and an intake?

I am only going to do the DPF delete in the stock exhaust and a tuner. Trying to decide between H&S and Spartan. I like that with H&S you can switch tunes on the fly. I have so much more research to do. I am really only interested in doing this to increase fuel mileage.

ya all i got is a dpf/doc delete and intake. Stock dpf back exhaust and running the 210 with no problems even towing. I just ordered a 5" exhaust for a deeper tone. I was looking at both the h&s and spartan to,i wanted the dash daq monitor more then i wanted shift on the fly. They are both great units. If you go spartan find a used one as there is a 325.00 fee to reset it for your truck, and most used spartans go for 600.00 and you don't take a big hit if you sell the truck or tuner down the road. if you got any questions just ask:beer:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Technically yes he is correct, not actually turbo lag but who cares what it is called when you almost get t-boned trying to turn into traffic because your 500-600 ft/lb truck wont ****ing go.
With the H&S my only concern is "going" too fast.

I care. There's no reason to characterize an easily solvable issue as one which is much more difficult to remedy.

I'm not a huge fan of the Spartan stuff just for the fact that you can't call up another tuner and get a tune unless you buy another tuner. I ended up going with an SCT Livewire from Eric@Innovative. For what I have drove the truck while tuned they seem to run great.

Grunnsetning

Established Member

Read this thread, it may help you decide.
Spartan is way too expensive and they love trying to keep you with their tunes only.
The Ultimate DPF delete SHOWDOWN! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

[Me109] TACO

Hello i am bumping this because i just Registered. i found this thread google because i am doing research on the 2008 6.4L F250 i am about to buy tomorrow. I like to read on any pro's mainly CONS if any. after i buy it i will have a 15 hour drive with it.
anyone by now know of any real issues on the 08' F250 6.4L? mechanical wise?

Dougdanger

Established Member
the 6.4 eat HPFPs, blow out up pipe welds, eat transmissions once turned up, and all the emissions stuff has to go, it'll all give you trouble, it isn't a matter of if its a matter of when. for rock solid reliable, and reliable power a 06+ Duramax lbz or lmm would be your best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread