Advice on Ram SRT 10

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
I've owned a Syclone, '94 L, '99 L, and an '04 SRT Ram. My Syclone was a built 10 second truck, but otherwise the Ram was my favorite. Though I think mainly because I wanted a manual trans. Stock vs. Stock, it was faster than my '99 L, and with a computer tune, full exhaust, and 4.56 gears(which became standard in '05), it was a solid 12 second truck @ 112mph.

They say the clutch is a weak point, but in the time I owned mine I loaded up the bed w/ over 1,000lbs. a few times and towed my Syclone (5,000lbs. w/ trailer) to and from the drags a couple of times w/ no problems. Never experienced any clutch slip either.

If you want a 4 door the Auto Trans will be able to tow, but they are slower/heavier than the 6 speed regular cabs. Though a Tune will wake it up quite a bit from what I've heard.

Now if only Ford offered a Supercharged Gen2 Lightning w/ a 6 Speed - I think that would've been a damn fun truck!

Last edited:

AAG

Established Member
The 4 doors are rated at 11 mpg hwy...That is just insane.

Jroc

Established Member
Who cares about just launching.

Driving experience > launching a autofaggit.

Who has issues launching a 3600lb t56 stang other than you? I loved tearing out of the hole with mine.

Thomas you let your bias towards and against certain things make you say some stupid stuff sometimes. Have you ever driven a manual truck? That long ass shifter with it's long throws, and terrible placement make for a awesome driving experience.

I care about a lot of things other than just launching:

Towing(unfortunately I had already unloaded the Mustang and dirt bike by the time I thought of taking the picture)
x3iypd.jpg

and hauling
15wnsb4.jpg

being taken off pavement
2nusryc.jpg

carrying old, dirty Mustang parts
161kfpg.jpg

being taking off pavement while carrying cement blocks, 1911's, and Glocks(<--- that rhymed)
16jovt5.jpg

going to the lake
34roi.jpg

etc is all better done in a auto L than a manual L, or SRT8/10/anyotherbuttF'in#.

Being able to look pur-die while sitting at a tail truck stance and not getting scared every time you see a speed bump, or heavy slopped driveway, or having to try and swerve and miss a dead Squirrel or other small road kill L > dropped Mustang.
opu3yr.jpg

The thing that makes the Gen2 L's and Gen1 HD F150's the best all around sports trucks is they know what they are. While yes the are a SVT Lightning(and HD with a L motor in 02/03) and are very strong pulling, and especially very good handling 1/2 trucks, they also say SVT F150(IDK what the HD's have) on the tailgate, and have no bones about having to tow something, or haul a load, or drive down a rough dirt road or something. These things offend many other sports trucks that have been built, but my L does all these things at least as well as any other 2wd regular cab 1/2 tons I've used. If you just need a truck for it's sport, and performance aspect I would look at a 3,500 lb GMC Syclone with it's AWD, and TT V6, but you may also want something more modern and refined.

Seriously why would you buy a truck if you don't intend to use it to do truck things? Overall cars tend to offer better performance, MPG's, comfort, passenger caring partiality, etc than trucks. I will say that my L is a way more comfortable, and easy to live with vehicle than a old Mustang, but that's not saying much when you consider that most newer cars are. :shrug:

EDIT:
If you need to shift manually buy a good aftermarket worked VB and some paddle shifters.
http://www.tciauto.com/tc/shifters/paddle.html

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Automatics are for faggels. Period.

Real men row gears, no matter where the shifter is or how long the throw.

The whole reason I would never get a L is due to it being only autofagic. I ****ing hate autos. Automatic in a vehicke that can be driven spiritedly is heracy imo. I barely tolerate the fusion but if they had a model that came with a 6spd manny id jump on that with the quickness.

And most you listed can still be done with a manual. You think you need a auto to haul mustang parts and glocks? Pretty sure the guy with the t56 swapped L has no issues doing the same. Towing maybe, but arent you almost exceeding that with a mustang+trailer anyways? The reason id own a L is because its quick and can still fit furniture or tv's or whatnot and a t56 wouldnt hinder any of that.

And paddle shift boxes for automatics are so fake.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member

The whole reason I would never get a L is due to it being only autofagic. I ****ing hate autos. Automatic in a vehicke that can be driven spiritedly is heracy imo. I barely tolerate the fusion but if they had a model that came with a 6spd manny id jump on that with the quickness.

And most you listed can still be done with a manual. You think you need a auto to haul mustang parts and glocks? Pretty sure the guy with the t56 swapped L has no issues doing the same. Towing maybe, but arent you almost exceeding that with a mustang+trailer anyways? The reason id own a L is because its quick and can still fit furniture or tv's or whatnot and a t56 wouldnt hinder any of that.

Thomas I think you are a ******. I am quite hetero, and I love my auto transmission(I just wish it had an extra overdrive gear with a .50 ratio) A auto is a much better choice for a full-size performance truck. A manual actually makes a great work tranny in a truck just not one designed for a sport car. My dads 01 Ram 3500 Cummins has a manual tranny in it, and it's clutch makes a Terminators clutch feel like it came out of a CRX, and it in no way screams sporty just like the manually trannies in the flatbeds at work don't. A manual tranny would in most situations make a L a lesser performer so why would you want one?

Jroc

Established Member
I like it except for the wheels. have to get a different style, kinda like the white though.

It's a waste of truck. Not a good performer or truck for putting in work. It does have a nice look to it though.

If you want to build a badass truck that isn't a factory sport truck then older 99-06 Sierra's/Silverado's with badass LSx swaps, and the newer 5.0 Coyote F150's make great platforms to get great performance out of. A new regular cab 2wd F150(say FX2) with a 5.0, and a Roushcharger(a Eaton TVS 2300) is a very bad ass mofo.

Here's a KB 5.0 F150 vs a C6Z. These guys also own a TVS 2300 5.0 F150 that's faster than the KB 5.0.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFLG_xl-0qg

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
A friend of mine has the quad cab automatic. He's blown the transmission twice in 80k miles. I still love the sound of it though.

chrisheltra

Established Member

And paddle shift boxes for automatics are so fake.

You dont have to like them but you cant deny that they will always shift quicker than a manual and run down the strip more consistently.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You dont have to like them but you cant deny that they will always shift quicker than a manual and run down the strip more consistently.

Sure they do. I dont 1320' race as its boring as **** and stupid to boot, not to mention if youre JROC it leads to you wrecking your car...so having a tranny thats good for just that or a car thats built for just 1320 seems more of a waste to me than modding a t56 into a L and making it fun to drive in every other aspect. Nothing would be more fun than knowing you own a 450hp truck that can still bang gears through some twisties and still haul some furniture or a engine puller or whatnot when necessary.

Nothing fun about driving an automatic aggressively through a mountain canyon. Selecting your own gears ftw. Letting something else select for you is like letting someone else fondle your significant other.

Last edited:

Planter

Banned
Sure they do. I dont 1320' race as its boring as **** and stupid to boot, not to mention if youre JROC it leads to you wrecking your car...

But nothing fun about driving an automatic aggressively through a mountain canyon. Selecting your own gears ftw. Letting something else select for you is like letting someone else fondle your significant other.

simmer down there PLANTER.

Jroc

Established Member
Lol @ "putting in work" with a truck with a 5k towing capacity.

Hey stupid I mean Thomas try a 1,400 lb payload rating for the 03/04's which is quite respectable for a 1/2 ton especially in 8/9 years ago. Few short wheel base full-size trucks do have high payload ratings. All these manufactures rating 10K+ lbs for their tow ratings are few very specially setup models that in reality most people don't want. Wheel base, vehicle weight, tire selection, etc all pay factors in a manufacture designating a tow rating on a vehicle. A HD has a tow rating of 4,500 lbs but most say that with it's longer wheelbase and greater weight that it feels better while towing. Still 20" wheels and low-pro's limited it's factory rating in the early 2000's. A L will snatch it's manufacture rated tow limit around like it's nothing at least compared to other factory 1/2 ton trucks trying to pull the same weigh, but when you take into account that it's making 450 lb-ft @ 3,250 RPM's and using 3.73's in it's beefy 9.75" rearend being turned by a 4R100 tranny straight out of a Ford Super Duty it's easy to see why. I was passing people @ 80 mph towing a Mustang up the mountains of western Virginia, and while you could pretty much see the gas gauge dropping it didn't miss a beat. Didn't miss a beat on the way back down them either, and this was with several hundred lbs in the bed also. Trust me a L pull 1/2 ton truck duties just fine.

Still Thomas I've been thinking you are making claims on what makes people a *** or what not like owning auto equipped vehicals or new 5 liter Mustangs, but then you have a thing for a butt F'in Genesis Coupe. I mean a squatty little Hyundai that really does nothing well performance wise. Even it's handling isn't acclaimed to be great, but you think they're cool cars. IDK IMO it's kind of a faggoty car.

Jroc

Established Member
Sure they do. I dont 1320' race as its boring as **** and stupid to boot, not to mention if youre JROC it leads to you wrecking your car...

Letting something else select for you is like letting someone else fondle your significant other.

lol you're just into buy cars that you can't afford. Pretty funny seeing you try and convince yourself that buy a 03 Cobra with over 50K miles was a good idea back in 07 just to see you have to sell in a short time later because you couldn't make payment, only to then buy back the same car that it's owner didn't want maybe a year after that, and then to sell it again because you again couldn't afford a used fairly high mileage Mustang Cobra payments. Didn't you buy it back for more than you sold it for? If I remember correctly you couldn't even afford payments on some of those POS Eclipses you've owned.

Do you **** cars or something?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Hey stupid I mean Thomas try a 1,400 lb payload rating for the 03/04's which is quite respectable for a 1/2 ton especially in 8/9 years ago. Few short wheel base full-size trucks do have high payload ratings. All these manufactures rating 10K+ lbs for their tow ratings are few very specially setup models that in reality most people don't want. Wheel base, vehicle weight, tire selection, etc all pay factors in a manufacture designating a tow rating on a vehicle. A HD has a tow rating of 4,500 lbs but most say that with it's longer wheelbase and greater weight that it feels better while towing. Still 20" wheels and low-pro's limited it's factory rating in the early 2000's. A L will snatch it's manufacture rated tow limit around like it's nothing at least compared to other factory 1/2 ton trucks trying to pull the same weigh, but when you take into account that it's making 450 lb-ft @ 3,250 RPM's and using 3.73's in it's beefy 9.75" rearend being turned by a 4R100 tranny straight out of a Ford Super Duty it's easy to see why. I was passing people @ 80 mph towing a Mustang up the mountains of western Virginia, and while you could pretty much see the gas gauge dropping it didn't miss a beat. Didn't miss a beat on the way back down them either, and this was with several hundred lbs in the bed also. Trust me a L pull 1/2 ton truck duties just fine.

Still Thomas I've been thinking you are making claims on what makes people a *** or what not like owning auto equipped vehicals or new 5 liter Mustangs, but then you have a thing for a butt F'in Genesis Coupe. I mean a squatty little Hyundai that really does nothing well performance wise. Even it's handling isn't acclaimed to be great, but you think they're cool cars. IDK IMO it's kind of a faggoty car.

lol, keep directly insulting me. Mods will love it.

I didnt directly insult you, I insulted ALL automatic lovers.

I really give two shits what people think of the cars I like, especially you. It matters not to me. It puts a smile on my face, unlike a fat tubby 5.0 GT for the same price that drives like my 02 GT just faster. Whooptee****ingdoo. If horsepower is the only measure for a cars performance then I guess we need to throw away everything we know about what makes the rest of a vehicle fun or enjoyable.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Towing maybe, but arent you almost exceeding that with a mustang+trailer anyways?

not sure about towing with a Lightning.. but I've towed a lot with my 92 F150 with 300" six and 5 speed manual.. find it as easy as with any auto equipped pickup I've used to tow stuff with..

the only downside I've seen to a manual equipped vehicle in normal driving is in heavy traffic the clutch can get bothersome.

chrisheltra

Established Member
Sure they do. I dont 1320' race as its boring as **** and stupid to boot, not to mention if youre JROC it leads to you wrecking your car...so having a tranny thats good for just that or a car thats built for just 1320 seems more of a waste to me than modding a t56 into a L and making it fun to drive in every other aspect. Nothing would be more fun than knowing you own a 450hp truck that can still bang gears through some twisties and still haul some furniture or a engine puller or whatnot when necessary.

Nothing fun about driving an automatic aggressively through a mountain canyon. Selecting your own gears ftw. Letting something else select for you is like letting someone else fondle your significant other.

I wish we had twisties. The 5.0 has a manual though.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
lol you're just into buy cars that you can't afford. Pretty funny seeing you try and convince yourself that buy a 03 Cobra with over 50K miles was a good idea back in 07 just to see you have to sell in a short time later because you couldn't make payment, only to then buy back the same car that it's owner didn't want maybe a year after that, and then to sell it again because you again couldn't afford a used fairly high mileage Mustang Cobra payments. Didn't you buy it back for more than you sold it for? If I remember correctly you couldn't even afford payments on some of those POS Eclipses you've owned.

Do you **** cars or something?

lol wat.

I love how all of a sudden you and the other dolts on here know my bank account history.

Being able to afford payments and wanting to keep paying them are two separate things. I could afford them no problem, I just didnt want to anymore, having 450hp for a 5min drive to and from work and maybe a jaunt on the weekends was not worth the price per month. Not to mention there were other reasons for selling the Cobra in 2009, it was called imminent layoff, and being responsible and making a tough decision.

Its ok though, still made money on it both times.

Users who are viewing this thread