Advice on plug gap with the mods posted, car us missing under full boost

latinwrlord

Established Member
I know it's like beating a dead horse. But I was up till 2 am. Researching plugs and plug gaps etc. Have a major migraine. He is the issue the car runs fine till I hit full boost. Partial boost is fine but once I get down on it I have to back off right of way. It detonates or misses. I was told to change the plugs. The car is a 09 GT500. It's has mild modifications like 2.5 VMP upper pulley, 15% Innovators West lower, 127me JLT CAI, 72 me L&M throttle body with L&M high flow elbow and the S/C mouth was port match to elbow. Has full length headers with high flow cats and stinger axel backs. With a Diablo Sport Trinity tuner with performance tune. Driving me nuts. Want to drive the car on Easter. So went and bought NGK BR7EF plugs and so many forums you read state gap them from .028-.039. Looking for advice. There is a lot of knkwledgable people on this site. So please advise, please?

latinwrlord

Established Member
Have it set up to get it dyno tuned. But I data logged the car. Emailed into them. Then they made some adjustments. I believe in the mass air table. Then it worked shortly but now still not 100%. So I sent in another log. Just waiting to here back.

latinwrlord

Established Member
I was looking at the TR7IX . But saw most people don't recommend them. They were saying they can act like a glow plug. Because they hold heat. And saw people had a lot of idle issues with the TR6. The BR7EF seemed to have less negative reports. That's why I went that route. Looking to get it dyno tuned soon. So I may have to get 2 sets of plugs just in case. Thanks for your input.

Mongopushn

Established Member
Are you seriously running a "canned Diablo sport tune" with those Mods?

Agreed, why not purchase a tune from a reputable vendor for these cars? Like maybe the one already posting in this thread. Your going to mess around with miss fires and detonation on a high-end motor to save a few hundred bucks?

latinwrlord

Established Member
Live in Lakeland, FL so not to many in the area that have a good rep. Power by the hour has a N Gauge package with remote and dyno tuning available. Just need to take a day off line up the hotel and pull the trigger. If I could find a tuner in Tampa that would be better. So for now I am looking at a 3 hr drive. But your right I am not going to mess around. Was just trying to get on plugs. To get it ready. Power by Tue Hour said needs fresh plugs and fuel filter for the dyno tuning. But am open to other performance shops if they have a decent price package for tuner/dyno tune.

Mongopushn

Established Member
Get an SCT with a mail ordered tune from VMP, no travel necesary. That will get you 99% there on tune. Then you could dyno it later at one of their sceduled events. They are about 2 hrs from you so I'm sure there is something in your area coming up this summer.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Live in Lakeland, FL so not to many in the area that have a good rep. Power by the hour has a N Gauge package with remote and dyno tuning available. Just need to take a day off line up the hotel and pull the trigger. If I could find a tuner in Tampa that would be better. So for now I am looking at a 3 hr drive. But your right I am not going to mess around. Was just trying to get on plugs. To get it ready. Power by Tue Hour said needs fresh plugs and fuel filter for the dyno tuning. But am open to other performance shops if they have a decent price package for tuner/dyno tune.

We tune these cars all over the world. I think Lakeland is doable. :)

vmpperformance.com

bj

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I was looking at the TR7IX . But saw most people don't recommend them. They were saying they can act like a glow plug. Because they hold heat. And saw people had a lot of idle issues with the TR6. The BR7EF seemed to have less negative reports. That's why I went that route. Looking to get it dyno tuned soon. So I may have to get 2 sets of plugs just in case. Thanks for your input.

BR7EF are fine, but not as long lasting as the TR7IX Iridium. TR6s are plain old copper plugs and not a true step colder than stock.

bj

latinwrlord

Established Member
I may have a buyer for my tuner. So I will contact BJ about getting a SCT tuner and go the VMP way. I will see what kind of tune packages they offer and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread