Advice for 2001 Cobra mods

TireMeltingTork

Hey guys, I've been reading about how these cars have the IRS and all that, so i was wondering what kind of mods do you look for if you wanted to mod it to be more of a road & track kind of car instead of a drag car. Would there be any special considerations or is it the same basic philosophy of bolting go fast parts on it?

Sent from my Pixel XL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

shurur

Established Member
FTBR irs upgrade and MM FLSFC/GW subframe/stifflers subframe first handling mods.
Lowering springs and strut/shocks next.

Other handling/suspension mods as you want to phase in.
Must reads:
https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/the-irs-tech-article.213384/
IRS Informational Article

IMO a front and rear list needs to be made by someone...
a concise front and rear handling mod recipe of sorts for those who hate to read.
maybe phases or levels of handling listed.

Our cars are old enough now to do this, as what works and doesn't work are generally known.

NA HP mods:
This is the nasvt recipe. a list i gleaned from posts made by na svt and approved/fixed by him.
NASVT fixed!!!
General consensus for NA ~320 RWHP with 99-01 DOHC C-Head 4.6L:
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydroboost and WP pulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
Tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

360-370 RWHP:
106060 comp cams properly degreed.
short runner (Maybe only ported for OEM RPM range??..a recent question of mine.)
Tune
You can get all this without touching the motor yet..
na svt (Todd Warren) is also specing his own cams now...those may get you more.

Last edited:

scottydsntknow

Established Member
For the IRS. Get the Full Tilt Boogie kit and upgrade your axles to 03/04 spec. I recently did the FTBR kit to my car with an IRS swap and it is amazing. Good wheels and tires plus a good set of shocks/struts, cc plates, go through all the bushings/balljoints/tie rod ends etc...

Upgade the K if you are feeling really froggy. MM for coilovers, Steeda if you don't want coilovers. UPR for drag.

As far as bolt on power... the Todd list is good. Don't fall for the cold air kits or dipshits trying to sell you aftermarket coils or underdrive pulley kits etc...

TireMeltingTork

For the IRS. Get the Full Tilt Boogie kit and upgrade your axles to 03/04 spec. I recently did the FTBR kit to my car with an IRS swap and it is amazing. Good wheels and tires plus a good set of shocks/struts, cc plates, go through all the bushings/balljoints/tie rod ends etc...

Upgade the K if you are feeling really froggy. MM for coilovers, Steeda if you don't want coilovers. UPR for drag.

As far as bolt on power... the Todd list is good. Don't fall for the cold air kits or dipshits trying to sell you aftermarket coils or underdrive pulley kits etc...
Or left handed shift nobs, blinker fluid pressure regulators, and an aftermarket distributor replacement for the coil packs.

Sent from my Pixel XL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
If you're thinking about a road and track type set up and doing some track days or maybe even auto-x the driver mod is a great mod that is definitely worth the money.

Take some classes and get to know your car on the track.

shurur

Established Member
All good suggestions, but I'd save $ and keep your axles.
you have the supposedly better 31 spline axles anyway...even with the terminator 31 spline being beefed up yet again.

The other FTBR mods and good lowering springs will keep them just fine.

If the money saved is burning a hole in your pocket, I'd get a torque sensing differential and 3.73 gears instead of the axles. A Detroit true track is the poor man's choice.

52merc

Established Member
There is a thread in the Terminator section about the Eaton TrueTrac. Seems like a lot of people are not happy with the noises they make, especially for a daily driver.

shurur

Established Member
There is a thread in the Terminator section about the Eaton TrueTrac. Seems like a lot of people are not happy with the noises they make, especially for a daily driver.

But they don't break...and Eaton is emphatic about using valvoline non-synth it.

Users who are viewing this thread