Advice/ Experience with Vehicle Shipping

TGS2

Dr.Gonzo
Established Member
Anyone ever ship a car a long distance? Who did you use? What was the experience like?

Any input would be welcome.

Looks like I’ll be shipping a car half way across the country for the first time.

robvas

Established Member
Done it a handful of times. It's really nice when you, and the other person are available for calls, flexible on pickup/drop off times...

The shipping guys are almost all Russians and don't communicate well and don't really call again if you don't pick up.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Stick with the big guys, intercity, reliable, passport, horseless carriage.

Most ads online are just brokers looking for the quick commissions

PC03GT

Established Member
I dealt with passport transport, they were very easy to deal with and fast shipping. Just remember you get what you pay for

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Stick with the big guys, intercity, reliable, passport, horseless carriage.

Most ads online are just brokers looking for the quick commissions
This, especially if you do not have prior shipping experience (knowing what to avoid, like the brokers). Obviously we are making the assumption that you are shipping a vehicle you care about, and want it shipped in an enclosed trailer.

_Snake_

Established Member
@13COBRA
E0A20B3B-B1F1-4B5F-96D9-D1DC9E9CB724_1_201_a.jpeg

ToddW702

Established Member
Whatever you do don’t give any contact info to a broker website. Contact companies direct or you will get calls and emails for 89 months straight. I shipped a car two years ago and just stopped getting emails asking if I still need help. Lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

bird_dog0347

Established Member
I've had 3 shipped from DFW to Sweetwater, TN where my builder is, we used the same guy all 3 times and other than some very minor delays (4-6 hours not days)and less than stellar communication from the Russian drivers (as mentioned above, every damn time) it went smoothly and cost about $600 on average. I can dig up his number if you don't go with the guy @13COBRA uses.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I've had 3 shipped from DFW to Sweetwater, TN where my builder is, we used the same guy all 3 times and other than some very minor delays (4-6 hours not days)and less than stellar communication from the Russian drivers (as mentioned above, every damn time) it went smoothly and cost about $600 on average. I can dig up his number if you don't go with the guy @13COBRA uses.

Are yours all the Saleens he has been working on?

A coat hanger can bring out the kid in you.

bird_dog0347

Established Member
Are yours all the Saleens he has been working on?

A coat hanger can bring out the kid in you.
No, those are (just a few of) his personal cars in the garage pics (with a couple of exceptions but those have their own build threads by the owners), mine is a 92 Coupe getting T-Tops, and a full build. I'll eventually put a build thread here when we are getting closer to completion, but if you want to kill a ton of time going back over the last 10 years or so the link is below.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Also went through Nick’s guy. I chose open trailer since it was “just” a pickup.

Came from Phoenix to Chicago. Shipping was a breeze. Had the deal done with the owner of the truck and told him when the driver was going to arrive for pickup. Driver contacted me with an ETA well before his arrival to make sure someone was there to take the truck.

Hardest part is buying unseen. Luckily I had a family acquaintance in the area I paid to go look at it.

I’d 100% do it again.
IMG_4552.jpeg
IMG_4551.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread