Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What did you say, I couldn't hear you?

giphy.gif

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
They aren't assumptions, I've got years of first hand experience in road course, more so than most can ever dream of being a member at a private track 15min from home with IndyCar and GTD racers for instructors.

My math is simple
Base 500: 4100lbs, 4s, no aero... that's not going to be even slightly ground breaking on a track no matter how much hp they throw at it. HP does in FACT become a detriment once the chassis' ideal power is exceeded. It will likely be equal to or lose to a 350R on most road course, depending on testing. I'll bet we don't see the base car even get instrument tested as Ford likely wont allow it. The CF track pack will be impressive for sure, but its relying on the super sticky 100tw cup2 and GT4 aero..

And then we have a new mid engine vette that isn't actually new, it's been in development for about 8 years or so, much lighter and better balanced. The C7 grand sport was a full second faster than the 350R with 67hp less and a much worse tire. The C8 Z51 has a lot of equal parts to the C7 GS in a chassis that will be much stiffer.

Corvette is always going to be faster than mustang in general, that's nothing new. And now Corvette is cheaper than the shelby so people like me are going nuts over it. I was every bit of the Ford homer that you are, but I'm going to adapt with this C8. Not totally trying to take away from the new 500, I still like the car it's just that Corvette is now winning
What track? The C7GS ran .5 seconds faster than the R, running even with the 991T’S. The c7z runs 1.2 seconds faster than the GS. This is all at LS.

I can see the C8 running similar times if not slightly better than the c7gs. The big question is what’s the difference between the base GT500 on track and the GT500CF?

blk02edge

Established Member
What track? The C7GS ran .5 seconds faster than the R, running even with the 991T’S. The c7z runs 1.2 seconds faster than the GS. This is all at LS.

I can see the C8 running similar times if not slightly better than the c7gs. The big question is what’s the difference between the base GT500 on track and the GT500CF?
Difference between the base 500 and CF TP will be absolutely substantial. The base car will be a nightmare to put down a smooth lap in. Put it this way, the C7Zr1 is a handful and it has triple the downforce, double the tire and less power (yes negligible) than a base 500.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Difference between the base 500 and CF TP will be absolutely substantial. The base car will be a nightmare to put down a smooth lap in. Put it this way, the C7Zr1 is a handful and it has triple the downforce, double the tire and less power (yes negligible) than a base 500.

I disagree. The c7 zr1 is also much lighter, the weight spread 52/48, and the chassis tuned for that famous corvette mid corner twitch by trying to get so much corner entry at the nose that it pulls the rear out from you if you don’t get a feel for it. Couple that with most of 715tq at 2500- 4500rpm and you get... the shit scared out of you with everything off.

The base gt500 will just understeer a bit, push it’s tired, and howl some mid corner to exit over steer.

Think of a bigger, more powerful 2013 gt500 in everyway with more tire. On balance it will be an easier car to drive than a zr1 by leagues, it will also be 4 seconds slower give or take at leguna seca imo but much easier to coax.

I have a very hard time getting 60% out of a corvette, let alone 90%, but I can easily find 75-90% in a nose heavy mustang because predominant understeer chassis balance is much easier to play with than snap-off neutral balance.

The better went midship to get away from that trap. The c4/5/6/7 high g unexpected twitch to oversteer is the corvette physically sliding out because the nose was too sticky at the limit.

The mustangs nose won’t be nearly as sticky, so all other things it will just be a high powered car on a grippy but plebeian street tire.

Imo. Seriously and respectfully, I’m my opinion.

blk02edge

Established Member
That is just another popular internet "fact". We have plenty of average old men running c6 and c7 z06 close to the times of their pro driver coaches. The real fact around the paddock is the c7zr1 is overpowered even with all that wing.

another internet fact is that a gen 2 vipers try to kill you. They are in fact tame and understeery on the track.

Established Member
It's been said the C7GS is the best one for track work, z06 is faster and dangerous, and well zr1 fastest...

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
Back in 2008 Nissan retooled the track day car by defeating physics with electronics (GTR), now, they are all copying data off eachother and it has gone back to a battle of physics again.

All of these blower cars are all built for magazine numbers now. That GS will 9.9x/10 be ahead of a z06 on a 20min session all things equal

Users who are viewing this thread