Adjusting to college....

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
Well I just finished my first week at west Virginia University. I was home sick the entire week and hated it for the most part. I am home for the weekend and really glad about it. I think it will pass but I was just wondering what some of you guys did to cope with the transition. Thank guys.

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
Once school really started you don't have time to be home sick. I admit I came home almost every 2 weeks though for the first year or two. Then when gas started going up I stopped and then hung out with friends there more and just had alot better time in college. I would just play some video games, that always passes the time pretty quick. Good luck man in college, I just finished it August 5th. :thumbsup:

matlock94gt

T67+Mustang
Established Member
dude.... are there any hot girls at that place? Thats all I had to do when I went to I.U. Got home sick..... then realized " wow...I'm in heaven... there ass around every corner... it must grow on trees!! ".... here is a party pic of me from college.....
303743399_l.jpg

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
JebTonkin said:
Well I just finished my first week at west Virginia University. I was home sick the entire week and hated it for the most part. I am home for the weekend and really glad about it. I think it will pass but I was just wondering what some of you guys did to cope with the transition. Thank guys.

I went to Undergrad at Rutgers which was about an hour from my parents house. I was very homesick the first two weeks. Then I wandered over to the female side of the dorm (guys on one side, chicks on the other, seperated by the showers in the middle) and I was no longer home sick.

Now, after completing two grad degrees I am back in school again. I live in Tampa and go to Law School in Orlando. I have a crash pad out there but come home to Tampa on the weekends. I am here right now and I dread driving back to Orlando and having to stay in the crash pad for the week.

I feel your pain, it will pass.

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
serious? i love college drinking 5 nights a week wit 19/20 y/o females! oh wait i never went away to college.... oh well i still love drinking with the girls. it'll pass with time

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Show up to class in your boxers and bunny slippers. It will break the tension and every girl in the class will love you...

01silverstang

Established Member
My cousin goes to WVU, and my mom graduated from there. Its a lot of fun, but don't get caught up in the drug/party seen or it will be your downfall! I'm jealous though man, WV is so beautiful in fall!

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
FordSVTFan said:
I went to Undergrad at Rutgers which was about an hour from my parents house. I was very homesick the first two weeks. Then I wandered over to the female side of the dorm (guys on one side, chicks on the other, seperated by the showers in the middle) and I was no longer home sick.

Now, after completing two grad degrees I am back in school again. I live in Tampa and go to Law School in Orlando. I have a crash pad out there but come home to Tampa on the weekends. I am here right now and I dread driving back to Orlando and having to stay in the crash pad for the week.

I feel your pain, it will pass.

How many damned degrees are you going to get? I have some catching up to do and right now I'm lagging behind terribly.

Nick85

Banned
Totally normal, chances are most of your classmates are homesick too. Some will even drop-out just to go back home. It happens. My advice, find a group of guys you get along with and stick together. Find out what parties are going on. Recruit hot chicks to said party. Expect about a 6 month transitional period, but once you set up shop it's all good.

331SC

EGO Sum Deus
Established Member
JebTonkin said:

Hated college life? :lol:

What's the problem? Are you one of those shy freshman guys we always used to make fun of in college?

venmos1

Established Member
college was my best experience in life thus far. i went to school four hours from home. what i suggest is not to go home frequently. find some friends and get to know them. you will spend a lot of time with them and they will help you forget home (remember everyone is going through this at the same time). the more solitary you become the longer the semester will be. make some friends, go to parties and do your work. pretty simple. learn to dedicate your time and you will do fine. put things off and get behind and force to study for 6 hours straight and it will suck. good luck and push to be first in the keg stand line. :beer:

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
Wow, I'm a senior at Purdue right now and I've had the time of my life at college. I never want it to end. Get out, make some friends, meet as many girls as possible.

SERIOUSLY!

You should not be going home the first few weekends. You are at a critical period right now. Right now, nobody knows anybody and everyone is trying to meet eachother and find their place. You need to find your niche. Think about it.... you are starting on a clean slate. Nobody has any opinion on you. The people you meet now could easily be your friends for the rest of college and beyond. So my advice is get out and be social, even if you are homesick it will make you feel better trust me.

Paul

PhotonSabreX

Motor City Slicker
Established Member
JebTonkin said:

I hear you on that, man. I remember my freshman year, I lived in a lame-ass hall, and I had nothing in common with anyone. I know it's tough, but trust me, you'll want to limit how much you go home on the weekends. The weekends are the times when people loosen up and are more open to meeting people, especially in the beginning of the school year. You don't want to alienate yourself by leaving every weekend. Trust me, I speak from experience. Stick around campus. If your hall is lame, do what I did and find another building to hang out at. I pretty much only slept in my dormroom, and spent all time elsewhere.

I don't know if it's your bag or not, but if you're having trouble finding a crew, you could go greek. I don't know how the system is at West Virginia, but look into it.

If you're seriously homesick, rather than going home, try to gradually wean yourself away by making a quick phonecall home. You're about to go into the best years of your life, dude. I envy you. Just stick it through, and things will go your way.

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
Well, I finally went back to school as a transfer student. I moved out of my parents house to a school roughly an hour away. I'm a 24 yr. old sophmore. For me its an adjustment, but I love living by myself.......however always chilling by myself isn't fun at all. My g/f comes to vist me, we have always lived far apart. Now she is about an extra 1/2 hour from me. So far I've me a few people here at school, but I need to plug myself into the social pipeline. Drinking?.....yeah, I do that to kill time, watch TV, study, surf the net, clean, ......I just keep myself busy or else I start to get bored and lonely. I go for runs around town and campus. I'm going job hunting this coming week, so I can further occupy my mind and make a little cash on the side. I'm a religious guy myself, and I daily ask God for strength. You can pull strength from anywhere though; your family, friends, your future.

Its not easy at times, but as all things in life you can adapt to your next environment with time.....have patience and try to enjoy yourself all you can. I'm happy to be back in school, I'm bettering myself, plus its better than my old job I have for 4 years.

Take care!

Mitchell

MonkeysL

Established Member
331SC said:
Hated college life? :lol:

What's the problem? Are you one of those shy freshman guys we always used to make fun of in college?

and u must be one of those guys that thinks they are the shit, that we use to make fun of:lol: :lol:

anyway, back to topic..... go out and meet new friends and get laid as much as possible

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
MonkeysL said:
and u must be one of those guys that thinks they are the shit, that we use to make fun of:lol: :lol:

anyway, back to topic..... go out and meet new friends and get laid as much as possible
I always laughed at the kids that thought they were cool in HS and tried to carry it over to college. My roomate and I threw alot of parties, had alot of girls and alot of fun. We took alot of kids in under our wing(small juco) that would have never got ouf if not for us. We were cool to everyone, but you respected us and our house, and if not asked to leave. Pretty much most of the school knew who we were, and where we lived, but in turn so did the cops:mj: You have a nice car and it isn't hard to make friends in college if you want to make them. Just stay away from the space cadet ****s.

Users who are viewing this thread