Adjusting ride height on coilovers?

BlownVenom01

Boost > NA
Established Member
you cant remove the set screw, turn it, and put the screw back in? im sure its more complicated than that but you never know i've missed some pretty easy fixes before ha.

and you can get a spanner wrench at any tuner supply shop (lots of imports run coilovers and they usually have em in stock). I got a set of Tein chrome spanner wrenches for 30 bucks lol. I let the import in me out.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Well I don't have rear coilovers on my car but I do up front and my perch is on the top not the bottom. I think they installed your c/o upsidedown. There is no way that griggs is going to make a mistake like that to where you have to cut shit.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Just checked online and it's correct. And I remembered now that my car's perch up front is on the bottom. That's wierd that it won't work. Maybe Pat can help us out..

GR-40 Pat

Established Member
First that is not the set screw that came with the kit. The set screw that comes with the kit does not stick out of the hole at all.

I would remove the set screw that is installed and try and adjust the perch as needed. If you can't find the a proper set screw to go into the hole (recessed completely), I wouldn't worry about it too much and leave it out or get the perch set so the current screw will not be a problem. In all reality the weight of the car will keep the perch from turning and self adjusting your ride height.

In some cases (race cars) I have seen where the upper part of the shock mount needs to be trimmed to get the desired ride height due to spring perch contact, but from the picture it looks like you have some room before your perch hits the bracket.

Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to help out with.

Patrick

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
ok...i might try that with taking the screw out...the mechanic said it looks like it'll all clear fine when the weight of the car is on it..but once you jack the car up and take the load off of it and jack up one side, that bracket gets right in the way

GR-40 Pat

Established Member
Here are a few pictures of what you would want to do if you needed to cut the the shock mount.
Note: Do not cut off the loop that goes around the axle.
DSC00947Flip.jpg

Also note the set screw that is not tight...

DSC00941Flip.jpg

DSC00948Flip.jpg

Patrick

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
thanks for those reference pics...i appreciate it. I'll try what you told me tomorrow night and see how that does. If I have any more questions I'll just PM you

GR-40 Pat

Established Member
No problem, I was thinking about it on way home and it was still light out when I arrived so I just took a few shots.

I doubt you need to make the modification to the shock mount, but I wanted to show you how to do it properly if required.

Again feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Patrick

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
just a quick update for everyone that's curious...I tried the set screw idea that pat gave...that didn't work. Come to find out...it's hitting exactly the same spot on the bracket that Pat showed in his pics. So it looks like I'm gonna have to notch it out like he said right?

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
yeah it is...I'll try to get it done tonight and tomorrow night. anybody predict any problems I might have with the fronts? I haven't even tried anything with those.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
You shouldn't have any problems in the front. If you do I would be suprised. Oh yea just to make you feel better your not the only one that has a car spawned by the devil himself. :thumbsup: :beer:

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
You shouldn't have any problems in the front. If you do I would be suprised. Oh yea just to make you feel better your not the only one that has a car spawned by the devil himself. :thumbsup: :beer:

hahaha..thanks. I swear it man...everything I try to do to this thing I always end up being one of those "rare cases". I still love the car though...I take it for a drive and forget all the problems.

GR-40 Pat

Established Member
How low are you trying to set the car?

Based on the thread count showing on your sleeve you should have been able to drop the car another .5-.75" or so without having clearance issues.

It should not be a big issue to make the modification to the brackets as long as you copy what has been done to mine in the first picture.

As for the front I doubt you will have any issues, but things to check will be tire to coil spring clearance and fender to tire clearance. And don't forget to have an alignment done on the front once your all done!

Here is the link to the Griggs Tubular K-member instructions which provide some starting points for your alignment.

Griggs K-member Instructions

Note: Looks like the image on the last page was moved slightly since I last looked at it but you should be using the rear k-member pads where the two slotted holes used to mount to the chassis are located.

Patrick

GR-40 Pat

Established Member
I wouldn't consider this a big deal, your just trying to lower your car more the most do. You may end up raising it back up once you have taken it for a drive. I know I had mine set at 7.5" in the front with the rear raised 3/4" more then the front and ended up raising it up .5" both front and rear. However I drive it daily and the roads here in Cali suck!

Just for the record I no longer work for Griggs (just looked at my control panel and found that it was still listed).

Patrick

Last edited:

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
yeah..i see what you're saying...i was just gonna go down 7/8" in the front and an 1" in the rear. That would make from ground to the fender 26" in the front and 26 7/8" in the rear. Right now it sits 26 7/8" in the front and 27 7/8"....is that too much you think? I just wanna get rid of some of that gap...it bugs the crap outa me

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
Ok...well I finished. Turned out awesome in my opinion! Just the right height. It's not the lowest, but it's exactly what I had in mind. No scrubbing or anything and handles just like it did before..here's pics

BEFORE
CobraandTruck007.jpg

AFTER
Koni007.jpg

Koni009.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread