Adjusting ride height on coilovers?

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
Ok, so I've never dealt with coilovers at all. The Cobra i bought had the griggs system on it with the Koni front and rear coilovers. The car sits alittle too high and I wanna lower it. How do I do this?

I called Koni and asked them and they said they didn't have a coilover kit for a '98 Cobra. So I called Griggs and asked how to adjust them. The guy said "just turn the spring seat". I asked him if I needed any special tools and he said no. I know I can't turn them by hand can I? So what do I need?

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
you probably can turn them by hand. i know i can turn mine by hand. You need a spanner wrench if you cant do it by hand.

RubberDown

the MAD hatter
Established Member
Put the wheel your working on in the air with a jack and you ought to be ok to do it by hand for a good bit of it. After that you will need the spanner

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yup just lift the side up in the air and spin it. Although pay attention to how much to lower it so you can lower it that amount on all sides. Than last but not least get the car re-aligned. I did this with my setup, just lowered it with no alignment and I ate through my tires very very quickly...

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
well the guy told me one full turn was an 1/8th of an inch....what do you think...lower it another inch in the front...1/2 inch in the rear?

CobraPhotoshoot003.jpg

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I thought that your torque arms was already hitting the ground in some cases?? If it's not an issue anymore yea I say lower it.

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
I thought that your torque arms was already hitting the ground in some cases?? If it's not an issue anymore yea I say lower it.

It was...i called Griggs as you suggested and they didn't know what was the problem, but most likely the install...so I took it to a shop and got new mounting hardware and had them re-install it and haven't had problems since.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Very cool, I'm glad it all worked out for you. So with that out of the way, yes lower it 1'' in the front and I say 3/4 in the back. I'm not a big fan of the raked look myself, but to each his own.. Badass car 1 way or another

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Not sure where to pick one up from, but I can personally tell you that I lower my griggs coilovers w/o a spanner wrench, just jack up the car and let the suspension get unloaded and your good to go :thumbsup:

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
Not sure where to pick one up from, but I can personally tell you that I lower my griggs coilovers w/o a spanner wrench, just jack up the car and let the suspension get unloaded and your good to go :thumbsup:
ok..thanks...I'll try to do this soon and post up pics when I'm finished

GR-40 Pat

Established Member
With the wheel in the air you should not need a spanner wrench (unless the threads are damaged or caked with dirt).

You should take a look at the k-member instructions on their site and check the ride height recommendations as well as alignment settings.

What is the current height now?
What spring rates do you have?

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
ok..stuff with my car is so FN weird. First the thing with the torque arm now this. I took the car down to have somebody do the adjust for me since I don't have any time to. So he called and said he started with the rears and he can only get a half a turn out of them before they start hitting the brackets on the rear end. I don't know what exactly he's talking about till I go pick it back up...but what in the world? He said it's possible...but it'll take him a couple of hours at $65 an hour to pull the coilovers off and cut and grind it down. What is with my car:dw:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
DON'T LET HIM TOUCH THE C/O!!! he's full of shit and omg don't let me touch the c.o. those are effing expensive as hell. just wait it out until you have time!!

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
DON'T LET HIM TOUCH THE C/O!!! he's full of shit and omg don't let me touch the c.o. those are effing expensive as hell. just wait it out until you have time!!

yeah..that's what i figured...I still don't know 100% what he's talking about till I go down there. But he said whatever it is has already been cut to even lower it as far it is....I think I have a curse on my car or something..i swear it:poke:

what could it be that it'll only let him turn a half a turn before it hits?

Last edited:

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
ok..so I went down there and he didn't just tell me...he showed me. When he trys to turn the spring seat on the rear so that it goes down, part of the seat and the set screw is hitting the bracket on the rear control arm that goes up to the top of the axle. Anybody have any ideas?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
That doesn't sound right. I have no idea what he's talking about. Post some pictures if you can so GR-40Pat and I can help yea out.

Last edited:

WhiteSnakeEyes

Established Member
Ok...I apologize for everything looking so bad under the car...one day I'll take care of it...

Koni006.jpg

Ok..so the bracket to the right of the coilover is hitting the set screw...the one right below is hitting the set screw/seat. any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread