Additional chassis bracing - umm YES!

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
I didn't want to just post this in the New Edge sub-section, so here it is.

I, like others, had additional chassis stiffening installed on my 99 Cobra. As described in multiple threads throughout SVTP, it helps tighten up the suspension, reduce chassis twisting, interior noise and helps put down the power to the road. Its a pretty easy decision and relatively simple installation.

However, here are some pictures that show an additional "not often thought of" result.

Back story: Modified 99 (Eaton/T56 swap) totaled in July by an elderly gentleman's failure to yield. He was driving a 2000 Silverado.

2d7974e5.jpg

file_zps12199100.jpg

file_zps49f7acac.jpg

file_zps4c797c28.jpg

file_zps26c79c16.jpg

file_zpsa8be12de.jpg

It is my firm belief that the additional bracing which included a full KB tubular K, A arms, subframes, matrix brace and jacking rails absorbed/blunted the impact of the truck which saved my feet and ankles from being crushed.

So, if you wanted another reason to add bracing...

oldmodman

Established Member
Very good point.

Most of "todays" cars have a design that transfers the crash impact around the passenger compartment.

Just like your extra chassis reinforcement did.

Glad that you came out OK. Did gramps pay for the car and all the mods?

Broke

Established Member
Glad you walked away, shame looks like a super clean car. The bracing defently saved you from serious injury. Sad to see some gramps ruined it.

What's the outcome of this wreak? Does your state give you the option to buy it back? I ask wondering if you parted it out.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
The extras you added to stiffen the chassis definitely served you well in this accident. Sorry to see such a nice ride destroyed, but it can be replaced, your life, legs and feet cannot.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Sad to see, but you make a good point. Glad you walked away relatively unharmed.

Glad you walked away, shame looks like a super clean car. The bracing defently saved you from serious injury. Sad to see some gramps ruined it.

What's the outcome of this wreak? Does your state give you the option to buy it back? I ask wondering if you parted it out.

If the other driver is at fault and insured you can negotiate whatever you like with his insurance company.

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
Very good point.

Most of "todays" cars have a design that transfers the crash impact around the passenger compartment.

Just like your extra chassis reinforcement did.

Glad that you came out OK. Did gramps pay for the car and all the mods?

He was cited for failure to yield and at fault. I went a couple rounds with the appraiser and received an acceptable payout. A lot of the mods went to my replacement 03.

Car was totaled (twisted frame, etc) I bought the car back from the insurance company and have almost completely dis-assembled it. Just a couple things to go before I call the scrap yard. I've kept most of the parts, as Dad is bringing down a "project" 99 Vert this week for us to work on :)

The replacement:

DSC_0283_zps48607101.jpg

Mac99Snake

cbr repsol

Established Member
Glad u are ok op. Good thing u did have her braced up. Im going to be doing the same thing. I need the shell really strong to withstand 1k rwhp on the project im working on.
Good luck for your next ride.

Users who are viewing this thread