Adding to coolant without re-burping.

awakened

Established Member
I want to put a liquid additive into my cooling system (I want to keep this focused on the process so not disclosing the additive). My coolant system is fully burped, topped off, and running well.

As option number one I figure I can open the crossover tube, pull out a little coolant, and replace it with the additive.

I really hate messing with the crossover tube once the system is fully burped and running well so the other option I guess I can do is put the additive into the overflow tank.

My question is how much does the coolant in the overflow tank really circulate into the entire system and therefore how long would it take the additive to get fully distributed?

If it won't get through the system quickly then I guess I should just go the crossover tube route.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BMSTNG

Established Member
Add it at the crossover pipe. Do not add it to the overflow reservoir. Taking the cap off the overflow tank is where you will get air in the system. You'll be fine at the crossover pipe

awakened

Established Member
Add it at the crossover pipe. Do not add it to the overflow reservoir. Taking the cap off the overflow tank is where you will get air in the system. You'll be fine at the crossover pipe
I thought that if the system was cold and the crossover plug was on you could open the overflow tank without any issues.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Last year I changed the upper radiator hose. I sucked out the fluid in the cross over tube till I could pull the hose without spilling any fluid. Replaced the hose and filled the crossover tube, I squeezed the radiator hose to make sure there was no air trapped there. Put the plug back in and never had a problem.

awakened

Established Member
Well I added it to the crossover tube. Problem is when I removed the plug a good amount of coolant came out under pressure. Probably close to 1 quart. Once it was done pushing out coolant the level remained right at the top of the crossover plug hole. Car has been sitting for days so no heat in the system. I then sucked out enough to add 16 ounces of my additive. Besides the mess under the car I'm now going to have to repeat the last part of the burping process to be able to add more coolant back in because it lost more volume than I was able to put back in. This is what I wanted to avoid but oh well. Nothing with this car is easy. Not even adding a little bit of coolant.

This is the first time that I opened the crossover tube plug without draining some part of the system first. Is it normal for that part of the system to be completely full and under pressure when cold?

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
Should have leave the way it’s , fresh 50/50 coolant is best for the system , adding royal purple ( wink wink ) coolant additive change the original coolant protection chemistry . Do more harm then good .

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Well I added it to the crossover tube. Problem is when I removed the plug a good amount of coolant came out under pressure. Probably close to 1 quart. Once it was done pushing out coolant the level remained right at the top of the crossover plug hole. Car has been sitting for days so no heat in the system. I then sucked out enough to add 16 ounces of my additive. Besides the mess under the car I'm now going to have to repeat the last part of the burping process to be able to add more coolant back in because it lost more volume than I was able to put back in. This is what I wanted to avoid but oh well. Nothing with this car is easy. Not even adding a little bit of coolant.

This is the first time that I opened the crossover tube plug without draining some part of the system first. Is it normal for that part of the system to be completely full and under pressure when cold?

it is kinda good that coolant came out when you opened crossover tube - you def want that tube to be very full.

but yes, you probably should have just bit the bullet and drained some (radiator petcock's an easy place) before adding your chemical, and then just go through the filling process again.

anytime you crack the system by doing anything other than just opening the reservoir cap, you pretty much have to go through the fill process again anyway.

adding a draincock into the 1 1/2 inch bypass hose (down next to the t-stat) is nice.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I will promote this to until the end of times. This and a small air compressor is all that’s needed. 100% worth it!

It will leak check your system, ensure zero air is left and totally fill the system. Never guess again!

Here’s the name to look up, not sure if the link is working since it doesn’t show up correctly using the app on my phone: “UView 550000 Airlift Cooling System Leak Checker and Airlock Purge Tool Kit”

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

awakened

Established Member
I will promote this to until the end of times. This and a small air compressor is all that’s needed. 100% worth it!

It will leak check your system, ensure zero air is left and totally fill the system. Never guess again!

Here’s the name to look up, not sure if the link is working since it doesn’t show up correctly using the app on my phone: “UView 550000 Airlift Cooling System Leak Checker and Airlock Purge Tool Kit”

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I just looked at this and it sounds pretty good. Where do you connect this to use it, at the cap to the reservoir or will it fit in the crossover tube drain plug hole?

BMSTNG

Established Member
Are you trolling us or do you really believe that?

--Joe
Not trying to troll anyone that's not the type of person I'm. At that point I was thinking he had the crossover plug out and I didn't want him to open the overflow tank and have both ends open which could create air in the system. I appreciate your reply though

Soap

Established Member
Not trying to troll anyone that's not the type of person I'm. At that point I was thinking he had the crossover plug out and I didn't want him to open the overflow tank and have both ends open which could create air in the system. I appreciate your reply though

Well that is still wrong. Having both ends open is not a problem. In fact that is the way you should fill........open resevoir, fill through crossover until resevoir is full, then cap resevoir and top off crossover.

--Joe

BMSTNG

Established Member
Well that is still wrong. Having both ends open is not a problem. In fact that is the way you should fill........open resevoir, fill through crossover until resevoir is full, then cap resevoir and top off crossover.

--Joe
Your correct and I understand that if he was filling the system. He was not filling the system He was just adding and from my understanding you add at the crossover

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member

--Joe

I have done this as well. Basically have my funnel in the crossover, with enough in it to cover the amount that will be going into the overflow. I then loosen the overflow cap just enough to let the level in the overflow to rise until it is to the fill line and quickly tighten it back down. I never fully remove the cap, because it wont stop coming out if the crossover is open. I then leave it closed while I heat cycle the system a few more times. I have yet to have any issues with air pockets doing it that way. Hopefully that makes sense.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I just looked at this and it sounds pretty good. Where do you connect this to use it, at the cap to the reservoir or will it fit in the crossover tube drain plug hole?

Ive done the funnel with the car slightly elevated in the front and all that crap. Nothing works better than the tool I posted. You never touch the crossover. Everything is now done through the overflow cap. Once done you'll have to suck a small amount out of the over flow as it fully fills it but other than that its straight forward.

I promise you will not be disappointed!

Users who are viewing this thread