Adding Oil to E85 for lubrication?

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Interesting - you might find some info on EVO forums, they beat their little motors to death with high boost\high revs while running e85.

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
Methanol and nitro both require a top lube since they are such a "dry" fuel.I use grape scented in the race car and have used it in my e-85.
Helps keep the valve guides lubricated in alcohol fuels,the e-85 isn't as dry as pure alc. but the cast iron guides in our 4 valve heads could use it. Especially since most of us have all but eliminated crankcase vapor from entering the intake with catch cans that actually helps lubricate the valve guides.
Race motors tend to need it more due to the complete lack of a pcv system ,therefore if you run catch cans on your car.I would highly recomend it.

Does anyone follow this school of thought? I heard it mentioned by David Buschur on a Youtube video (link below). He details adding 1 qt. oil per 55 gallon drum. This is the first I'm hearing of the introduction of oil into a fuel source other than 2 stroke engines. Thoughts?

http://www.modularfords.com/threads/209330-E-Readings-Inline-vs-Manual-Testing/page5

Last edited:

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
I use Manhattan Oil's Liquid Power as adding protection in E85 motors. Alcohol is a fantastic solvent and keeps trying to "clean" the cylinder walls, lol. A 16oz bottle treats 55 gallons.

Plus, it smells like grape or cherry , so people wonder what the hell we use for fuel...

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
+1
grooooooovy grape,lol

I use Manhattan Oil's Liquid Power as adding protection in E85 motors. Alcohol is a fantastic solvent and keeps trying to "clean" the cylinder walls, lol. A 16oz bottle treats 55 gallons.

Plus, it smells like grape or cherry , so people wonder what the hell we use for fuel...

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Interesting read and those plugs do look nasty....but nothing like that has happened to me. the plugs look brand new after 12 months 1200 miles, lots of sitting. Maybe Texas ethanol refineries are adding a lubricant

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
Interesting read and those plugs do look nasty....but nothing like that has happened to me. the plugs look brand new after 12 months 1200 miles, lots of sitting. Maybe Texas ethanol refineries are adding a lubricant

Looks to me that the plugs have been overheated,either a tad lean or a bit too much timing.
My race car plugs will look like that if I get close to the "ragged edge"
It is hard on parts,will take the tension out of the rings and puts excessive heat in the valves and guides.

65sohc

Established Member
Methanol and nitro both require a top lube since they are such a "dry" fuel.I use grape scented in the race car and have used it in my e-85.
Helps keep the valve guides lubricated in alcohol fuels,the e-85 isn't as dry as pure alc. but the cast iron guides in our 4 valve heads could use it. Especially since most of us have all but eliminated crankcase vapor from entering the intake with catch cans that actually helps lubricate the valve guides.
Race motors tend to need it more due to the complete lack of a pcv system ,therefore if you run catch cans on your car.I would highly recomend it.

I'm posting to this old thread because I haven't seen the above comment/opinion anywhere else. I recently installed the Lund flex fuel tune in my GT350 and love the way it runs. I also tranferred the JLT passenger side oil separator from my departed Boss onto the Shelby. I just checked it after about 500 miles and found a surprising amount of oil, much more than I used to get with my Boss and I have run this car very easy. My question, in light of the above comment is: would I be better off not running the separator and allowing some oil vapor to enter the intake tract to provide lubrication?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm posting to this old thread because I haven't seen the above comment/opinion anywhere else. I recently installed the Lund flex fuel tune in my GT350 and love the way it runs. I also tranferred the JLT passenger side oil separator from my departed Boss onto the Shelby. I just checked it after about 500 miles and found a surprising amount of oil, much more than I used to get with my Boss and I have run this car very easy. My question, in light of the above comment is: would I be better off not running the separator and allowing some oil vapor to enter the intake tract to provide lubrication?

I'm actually surprised you're getting a decent amount. I never did on my 03 cobra and just replaced it with a different one.

Users who are viewing this thread