Adding Oil to E85 for lubrication?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I'm posting to this old thread because I haven't seen the above comment/opinion anywhere else. I recently installed the Lund flex fuel tune in my GT350 and love the way it runs. I also tranferred the JLT passenger side oil separator from my departed Boss onto the Shelby. I just checked it after about 500 miles and found a surprising amount of oil, much more than I used to get with my Boss and I have run this car very easy. My question, in light of the above comment is: would I be better off not running the separator and allowing some oil vapor to enter the intake tract to provide lubrication?

Hell no, oil and oil vapor promote detonation, especially when tuned or running hard for extended periods.

65sohc

Established Member
Same here, my JLT separator never got anything.

I put a wad of Scotchbrite stainless steel potscrubber in mine to increase surface area and it was at least half full. I don't know if the Scotchbrite was the reason but the JLT certainly caught plenty. Re: detonation I was thinking maybe the surplus octane of e85 would compensate for any less due to oil inhalation.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
So you're saying Buscher is wrong putting oil directly into his ethanol?

The reason E85 is such great race fuel is its extremely uniform vaporization temp and that it forms very very little soot. The added oil will not vaporize at the same temp and will form soot when combusted. Soot is great for knock.

Users who are viewing this thread