Adding Cams?

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
So I do not know if I am messing with a ticking time bomb if I were to add cams to my '14...I am all stock internal wise with a pretty safe lund tune for my KB 3.6 pushing 18psi. Is this a good idea? If so what brand etc should I go with?

RBB

Established Member
So I do not know if I am messing with a ticking time bomb if I were to add cams to my '14...I am all stock internal wise with a pretty safe lund tune for my KB 3.6 pushing 18psi. Is this a good idea? If so what brand etc should I go with?
How much power are you making with that 3.6 and how are you using the car? You're probably already making more than enough power to hurt the stock engine with the 3.6, add cams to the equation and you're just making it worse.

But again, it all comes down to how you're using the car. If you're just cruising around, staying out of boost, and not beating on the car the engine will probably live a long time. Cams sound cool....I get it, everyone wants the sound. If you're racing it, it's probably not going to last all that long.

Whatever you decide to do, look into some secondary upgrades as well if you go with cams. Billet OPGs, secondary gears, crankshaft sprocket and HD secondary chains.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
My 13 GT500 was making 827whp on E85 with the 3.6 KB, cams would have pushed me well into the mid to high 800+whp area. I wouldn't trust the stock rods at that power level.

Curt@injected

My 13 GT500 was making 827whp on E85 with the 3.6 KB, cams would have pushed me well into the mid to high 800+whp area. I wouldn't trust the stock rods at that power level.

Agreed plus with a set of cams you will be revving it harder which just compounds the issue. OP I would stay with the stock cams until you are ready to do an engine.

JimIII@jdm

We have installed and sold tons of our Super Stock Cams to customers running bigger superchargers like yours on the stock motor. Realistically you have to keep the car in a safe RPM and Power band and you won't have any issues. Kind of defeats the purpose of cams because they extend the RPM and good cams will add a ton of power. ie our Super Stock Cams add 70-100 RWHP!!

http://www.teamjdm.com/jdm-super-stock-2007-2014-shelby-gt500-camshaft-upgrade/

If you want to do a few other upgrades to strengthen the motor or if you have higher mileage, while doing the cams we made this max performance package which includes: new timing components, stronger secondary chains, ARP cam bolts, TSS billet crank gear, TSS Billet oil pump gears, New GT500 oil pump housing that is O ringed, and Chromoly retainers!

http://www.teamjdm.com/jdm-gt500-super-stock-camshaft-max-performance-kit/

50stangpower

Established Member
if one of you smart fellas wants to PM me your email and review some of my data logs and discuss I will talk about my experience after. I do not want to say anything incorrect, so Id rather talked to another party about my thoughts first.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
Wow thanks for all this great info! I already had an idea this was not a good idea, and I do not race my car at all. Another reason I put the 3.6 on knowing it will last a lot longer than if I was on the strip every weekend. But of course I always want more hp and that sound can not be beat! But a wise choice is to leave it alone until I decide to build the internal

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I really want to add cams but it doesn't seem to be worth the cost unless you plan to build the motor to be able to take full advantage of them.

50stangpower

Established Member
Well here is a video....
At 30 seconds in I opened my side exit exhaust. I closed it at 55 seconds.

I'm still working through some minor tweaks but all is seeming to work out well.

Users who are viewing this thread