Adding amps to the Mach460 stereo...

313Speed

Banned
What do I need for this. I'm planning on adding my two Phoenix Gold Amps and JL 12W6 subs into the cobra. I've heard there is a simple way to tap into the stock amps to get the low bass signal. Can someone refresh me on the how to. Also, ideas on adding a simple bass block to the stock speakers.... sound like the right idea? Lemmie know.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by 313Speed
What do I need for this. I'm planning on adding my two Phoenix Gold Amps and JL 12W6 subs into the cobra. I've heard there is a simple way to tap into the stock amps to get the low bass signal. Can someone refresh me on the how to. Also, ideas on adding a simple bass block to the stock speakers.... sound like the right idea? Lemmie know.

You should be able to tap the subwoofer line on the 460 for your sub amp. Check the lines on the black plastic box to locate these. Connect one of these lines to your high impedance input on your new amp and that should do it.

To limit the frequency on any speaker, put a choke coil on the + line of the speaker. You can get choke coils tuned to a certain frequency (ie. 200 Hz) from any decent speaker shop in town.

Hope this helps!

bigboye

Established Member
I did with no problem

All you need is some speaker wire and a level converter. If you go to mustangworld.com They have instructions on how to do it.They even tell you what color the wire go where. works great but the signal you get is only for subwoofers. If you plan on running and amp for highs you will need to get a signal from a nother location. If that is you plan PM me and I can help you with that also. I have level converter with 4 channels 2 front and 2 rear. I also have two amps, one for my subs and one for my tweeters monted on the rear deck. The factory radio works OK but You will need to turn the bass all the way down to make it sound good and let all the bass come from you sub. I can actully turn it all the way up and it still sound OK but once you a litttle bass to the factor spekers, at that level they bottom out. You'll see when you get every thing hooked up. PM If you have questions. No bass blokers are needed. Just turn the bass all the way down.

Screamin'SVT

Banned
What Bigboye said.. using a line out converter gives a much cleaner sound than tapping the sub out.. I have an Excelon set up that way and it sounds great.

lethal

Established Member
I just purchased an Alpine CDA-9835 and plan to pick up the ipod adapter (Thanks for the reference Racerat =) in the next week or so.

If all goes well, I will let everyone know how to integrate an aftermarket stereo into the mach460 amp system. The particular solution I am trying is to match the outputs for the stereo and try to reuse as many of the mach amplifers as possible. I'll live with this for a while until I am bored then the install the JL components (XR series) and I have two 12W3's for the low end.

At that point, its a full on commitment to multiple high current amps. If I get all the ipod features and can reuse the stock amps, I may just replace the speakers and add a single amp for the lows. Really depends on the db level capable by the stock amps and the drivers I select.

Probably 3-4 weeks from now, will post on it.

John

313Speed

Banned
Cool.. thanks for the info guys. I know most stuff here is performance and not audio. I used to do 12v installs a few years back, so I was looking for some ideas. I got an old MTX crossover... any ideas on how to adapt that?

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
i just did this i tapped the 4 wires coming from the amps to the rear speakers they are located in the middle of the speaker enclosure towards the back seat... cant miss them theres a harness plug fastened to the enclosure aswell..just unplug that and tap away then reconnect...i have a single audiobahn 10 and a audiobahn amp and it Bangs nicely.....my .02

Jay

lethal

Established Member
If you just tap the electronics and change the impedence of the load too much, it could fry the stock amps. You'd need a voltage divider or live level converter to do it right. Even then you are amplifing and amplified signal thats been reduced and you can introduce noise.

Guess I'm anal, but I want to make sure the circuitry I do will be long lived.

John

Jpjr

Established Member
Hey guys,

I was planning on just adding a sub to the stock setup as well. But I just go to thinking.. would there be any problem with re-wiring the entire car, adding new amps and speakers, yet keeping the factory 6-disc receiver?? Has anyone done this?

I for one like the look of the stock deck plus its ability as a changer. The only thing I don't like are the paper speakers and the inability to add aftermarkets that sound good.

Circuit city said they would re-wire the entire setup for $90. I think it would be a good deal as long as it will work perfect with the factory receiver..

Thoughts??

lethal

Established Member
Seems really inexpensive to me. I wonder exactly what they are doing... if they are doing nothing more then installing a bunch of line level converters then you'll have to plug your own amps and seaker into them. Exactly how are they going to rewire? The only acceptable thing would be to have a stereo with live level outs, otherwise, just replace the existing speakers with comporable watt/impedence and you'll hear a world of difference.

Otherwise, I expect, you will end up paying $90 and have line outs, then have to go through new speakers, amps, etc.

John

Last edited:

allmotorTA

Established Member
Originally posted by BLWN03
i just did this i tapped the 4 wires coming from the amps to the rear speakers they are located in the middle of the speaker enclosure towards the back seat... cant miss them theres a harness plug fastened to the enclosure aswell..just unplug that and tap away then reconnect...i have a single audiobahn 10 and a audiobahn amp and it Bangs nicely.....my .02

Jay
I just did this last night. I tapped into those 4 wires to power my Fosgate amp. I also added a single 12 in a box. The problem is, when I got it all done and ready to go I turned it on and the light for the amp turned on so it is getting power, but you can just barely hear any sound coming from the 12 I added. Even when you turn it up pretty high you have to put your head right next to the 12 to even hear the faintest sound... Anyone know what it could be? Everything is adjusted correctly as far as I know. Could it be a bad ground? Bad wire connection somewhere? I haven't really checked it out too much, I'll look at it more today...

Jpjr

Established Member
Originally posted by lethal
Seems really inexpensive to me. I wonder exactly what they are doing... if they are doing nothing more then installing a bunch of line level converters then you'll have to plug your own amps and seaker into them. Exactly how are they going to rewire? The only acceptable thing would be to have a stereo with live level outs, otherwise, just replace the existing speakers with comporable watt/impedence and you'll hear a world of difference.

Otherwise, I expect, you will end up paying $90 and have line outs, then have to go through new speakers, amps, etc.

John

no its a full re-wire. i've dealt with circuit city in the past not because i can't do the work myself, but because its not worth it when they will do it cheap. the way they make their money is in different areas, like selling $20 wiring kits for $60, $5 receiver mount kits for $30, and $200 subs for $330. i'm basing these comparisons off the exact purchases i just made online versus what they had it for in the store yesterday.

and so everyone knows, circuitcity does not require you to purchase the equipment from them for them to install it. there is a warranty on the install as well as long as the parts are all new in box.

313Speed

Banned
Well, I got a convertor like the one mustangworld.com suggested. I'm thinking of using a dual crossover to split the signal to two amps. I'll take pics as I do the install and post them today.

pennywisegt

Audio & Video Production
Established Member
i hate to see people screwing up the factory unit when they can just go buy a new one, and reinstall the factory unit if they decide to sell the car. if you guys want better quality than the 460, don't modify it, toss it!

Jpjr

Established Member
Originally posted by pennywisegt
i hate to see people screwing up the factory unit when they can just go buy a new one, and reinstall the factory unit if they decide to sell the car. if you guys want better quality than the 460, don't modify it, toss it!

valid point, but i think most people agree that almost all aftermarket receivers look either like rice, or just don't fit well. i for one like the stock look. and i also like the 6 disc changer. as long as the amps are external i don't see any reason why you would need to change the receiver...from a sound quality perspective at least.

allmotorTA

Established Member
Originally posted by Jpjr
valid point, but i think most people agree that almost all aftermarket receivers look either like rice, or just don't fit well. i for one like the stock look. and i also like the 6 disc changer. as long as the amps are external i don't see any reason why you would need to change the receiver...from a sound quality perspective at least.
Exactly. I like the stock look and the 6 disk changer. Why go through the hassle and expense of changing it if you really don't want or need to..?

lethal

Established Member
I don't think anyone is "messing" with the Mach460. There are really only a few components to a system: head unit, amplification, and drivers.

For the Mach system, they decided to have internal and external amps -- and to throw a monkey wrench in the works the did some crossover action as well.

So normally, I'd agree, if you wanted a aftermarket radio then you would simply buy a harness, pull the stocker, and wire it up. On the other hand, some people love the head unit and like the stock look -- but stock units usually do not have line level outputs.

I would not suggest the rear tap like others have been doing, but it is their car and they can do what they like.

Hopefully, I'll have a good experiment in the next few weeks and we will have another option.

John

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
Originally posted by lethal
I just purchased an Alpine CDA-9835 and plan to pick up the ipod adapter (Thanks for the reference Racerat =) in the next week or so.

If all goes well, I will let everyone know how to integrate an aftermarket stereo into the mach460 amp system. The particular solution I am trying is to match the outputs for the stereo and try to reuse as many of the mach amplifers as possible. I'll live with this for a while until I am bored then the install the JL components (XR series) and I have two 12W3's for the low end.

At that point, its a full on commitment to multiple high current amps. If I get all the ipod features and can reuse the stock amps, I may just replace the speakers and add a single amp for the lows. Really depends on the db level capable by the stock amps and the drivers I select.

Probably 3-4 weeks from now, will post on it.

John

I tried all that. I found that, by examining the schematics on my 95 Cobra, that the stereo was 16v positive ground and the amps are very, very, very weak. 460 watts is peak dynamic (transient) power...there are 3 amps in the system (two under the rear deck for subs in the deck and in the doors, one in the dash to run all four "tweeters". Each amp under the rear deck is 200w dynamic, the amp under the dash is 60w dynamic.

OK, now I'm going by memory...200w dynamic is truthfully 100w max, and about 50w RMS, or clean. Sooooo...our system, which is advertised as 460 watts, is really only 115 watts RMS. Pretty bargain basement stuff. Not to mention that the speaker elements are paper and the tweeters not only are not domes but don't even have whizzer cones, and the system looks like it came right out of the bargain bin.

I'm leaving mine in 'cuz it's already there, it's good enough, and when I did the system in my '95 I was ~$5000 poorer and it only sounded marginally better after I factored in my loud exhaust. It just isn't worth the hassle to me anymore.

lethal

Established Member
Well, that kinda sticks, I have the wiring diagram and I also have the Lincoln wiring harnass that I intend to use to determine what signals are where.

If the amps are that weak, then my project to replace the head unit will then proceed into Phase II: Replacing all drivers and amplification.

I believe the adapter I have with some other adjustments will feed everything properly. I also want to find a way to add low end without having to reduce lhigh level to line level inputs -- they are so noisey.

John

Users who are viewing this thread