Added a Oil return pump failure light.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
I had a fuse blow once that powered my oil return pump on my Hellion turbo kit, which made me have to clean all of the piping(pain in the ass!). I then had the return pump motor seize, but luckily noticed the smoke quickly. I had a warning light wired into the power wire feeding the pump, so I knew if the light went off, power was not going to the pump.

I read that Hellion added a light to the Shelby kit to come on if there was a failure with the return pump. I got the part number of the switch they use and ordered it. It is a Hobbs switch, like the one that comes with boost-a-pumps and whatnot, but this one is normally closed, and opens when it see at least 2" of vacuum. The part # is 480-2060-ND I bought it from here SWITCH VACUUM N.C. 2"HG - 077343 02.0HG 01

The Hellion set up drains oil from the turbos to a tank, and then the return pump draws the oil from the tank, and pumps it back to the oil pan. I used an adapter to thread the hobbs switch straight into the opening that isn't used on the top of the tank.

DSC00720.jpg

I wired up my old light, and a new light in series to the Hobbs switch, so that if the switch loses vacuum, the lights will come on.

I had the old light down by the light switch, but wanted the new light in a more easily noticed spot, so I added the new light right beside the boost gauge on the column pod.

DSC00727.jpg

Tested it out and it worked great. The switch was about $25 and the light was only a couple bucks at the part store, so $30 bucks and an hour of time to install it is pretty worth it for the piece of mind to know the whole system is working alright.

Just wanted to throw this up here to make it easier for anyone else that has to rely on an oil pump for their turbo kit.

Wildcard

Established Member
Looks good. And if you ever have to clean oil from your pipes use brake cleaner. Makes it fast and easy.

Last edited:

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
For us twin guys that don't use a collection tank, what options do we have with regards to a hobbs switch on the discharge of the pump to confirm pressure? I guess it probably won't be easy seeing as how I'm sure there is very little pressure there....

On an unrelated note, has anyone ever implemented some kind of filter/screen on the DISCHARGE of their scavenge pump? I think I will put one in at some point but I haven't really been able to find something appropiate for my setup. I'm just using 1/2" braided hydraulic hose and hose barbs. I guess it's probably more common for people to put filters on the suction of their scavenge pumps, especially if they are gear driven but I'm more concerned about my pump failing and then spitting parts into my oil pan where it could cause much more trouble...

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
For us twin guys that don't use a collection tank, what options do we have with regards to a hobbs switch on the discharge of the pump to confirm pressure? I guess it probably won't be easy seeing as how I'm sure there is very little pressure there....

This is from the GT500 instructions on Hellions site.

gt500hobbs.jpg

I'm guessing as long as you are on the draw side of the pump with a fitting like in the above picture, this switch would still work.

On an unrelated note, has anyone ever implemented some kind of filter/screen on the DISCHARGE of their scavenge pump? I think I will put one in at some point but I haven't really been able to find something appropiate for my setup. I'm just using 1/2" braided hydraulic hose and hose barbs. I guess it's probably more common for people to put filters on the suction of their scavenge pumps, especially if they are gear driven but I'm more concerned about my pump failing and then spitting parts into my oil pan where it could cause much more trouble...

I never even thought of that. It's probably pretty unlikely that the 2 little brass gears exposed to the oil lines would frag into the oil, it's still a possibility, and I probably will put a filter after the pump since I know my luck! haha

Users who are viewing this thread