Acura/Honda valvetrain noise?

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
The same friend with the Integra (non-VTEC) spark plug change favor, came to me again. I drove the car, and it sounds like there is a whole lot of valve noise at lower rpms (below 2500).

Is this common for the 1.8L motors with 120k+? Is this motor on it's way south, or will it run forever?

If it were a Ford I'd worry, but I have no clue about Honda Motor Company products. Help please.

(if you use sarcasm, please add smileys:beer:)

50 Proof

Established Member
Try adjusting the valves. Honda motors require valve adjustments. If it still doesn't quiet down, than he'll need to basically rebuild the head to get it quiet again. My friend's Civic had the same problem. The damn thing sounded like a tractor even with a proper valve adjustment. The shop he brought the car to essentially rebuilt the head, and told him that Honda motors are prone to this. His engine is quiet as can be now.

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
Most I have heard tick like a timebomb but run fine and keep going no problem.
Alot of older 4 cylinder car engines are very noisy and not very smooth with their power delivery.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
check the maint. records as certain parts on hondas have to be replaced at specific milege like the timing belt and a few other parts

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Interesting I ran into this thread. I just did a search in Googe for valve noise on a 2002 Infiniti QX4 with about 54K miles. I've noticed when the motor is warming up I am hearing more valve noise than I can remember. Once the motor is warm it seems fine. Does this sound like it might need a valve adjustment as well?

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
Glad I could be of service to you Bob!

Everyone else: I do know the timing belt was changed roughly 10k miles ago.

How hard/expensive is a valve adjustment on these motors? An onld ASE tech buddy of mine mentioned they were a nightmare (but then again he was color blind, and always had trouble with wiring and electrical things. "grey wire with the grey stripe")

Worst case scenario and the problem is not addressed in the near future, will the car be in any danger of exploding? I was under the impression that that little Honda motor will run forever sounding like a diesel...

jdm99svt

jdm99svt
Established Member
Interesting I ran into this thread. I just did a search in Googe for valve noise on a 2002 Infiniti QX4 with about 54K miles. I've noticed when the motor is warming up I am hearing more valve noise than I can remember. Once the motor is warm it seems fine. Does this sound like it might need a valve adjustment as well?

Bob, I have worked on these cars many times and if I recall they almost all get a noisy exhaust manifold on the pass side....the Pathfinders do it too as well as the old style Quest vans with the same motor ( front manifold on these ) ...most likely that is what you are hearing till the motor heats up causing the metal to expand slightly and seal off the leak??

Glad I could be of service to you Bob!

Everyone else: I do know the timing belt was changed roughly 10k miles ago.

How hard/expensive is a valve adjustment on these motors? An onld ASE tech buddy of mine mentioned they were a nightmare (but then again he was color blind, and always had trouble with wiring and electrical things. "grey wire with the grey stripe")

Worst case scenario and the problem is not addressed in the near future, will the car be in any danger of exploding? I was under the impression that that little Honda motor will run forever sounding like a diesel...

FWIW I've owned my '94 Accord for nearly ten years, bought it at 74K original miles and it now has approx 225K miles , one timing belt replaced so far, many many oil changes and it still makes some strange sounds ( clatter, tick etc etc ) just as it did the day I bought it way back when

50 Proof

Established Member
Honda make some damn good engines. I'd say its probably just due for some maintenance.

Like I said before, Honda's are prone to noisy valve trains (commonly referred to as tapping noises coming from the valve cover). If this constitutes for "damn good engines" than maybe you need to step out from under the honda umbrella.

Users who are viewing this thread