Acouple mods realistic expectations

usmcsvt98

A day in the life
Established Member
My 98 cobra is virtually stock rite now with the exception of a cat back and short shifter. I've been accumulating parts. But I wanted to add them all at the same time. Going on soon is bbk ceramic long tubes with o/r x, ford racing 4.30 gears, ford racing aluminum driveshaft, and some underdrive pulleys. Think Ill notice a decent gain. What's similar 98's running at the track like this with some decent tires and what's realistic whp numbers?

mustang3X

Established Member
Since you are doing it all at once you'll really notice it. The largest gains will come from the gears, off road mid pipe, and headers. The other stuff is just along for the ride.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Long tubes with a t45 is only for those who are a glutton for punishment. Headers have to at least be loose if not completely detached for any clutch, throw out bearing, transmission removal, starter, steering shaft work. Maybe even for spark plugs.

You really gotta want it if you go that route. Short tube gains aren't significant enough to be worth the money.

97 Nightmare

Established Member
Long tubes with a t45 is only for those who are a glutton for punishment. Headers have to at least be loose if not completely detached for any clutch, throw out bearing, transmission removal, starter, steering shaft work. Maybe even for spark plugs.

You really gotta want it if you go that route. Short tube gains aren't significant enough to be worth the money.

Not if you purchase a quality LT and not junk. My Kooks have had starter replaced without header removed. And a throw out bearing has been done without header removal. And spark plugs are no where near the headers in a DOHC motor.

OP, if considering LT headers, spend the extra coin and get a quality set. It'll pay dividends in labor down the road.

Cory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

97 Nightmare

Established Member
Ah that's true on the spark plugs. I don't know what I was thinking there.

I have heard the horror stories about transmission related service with some brands though. BBK and MAC come to mind first off.

hu8yza8a.jpg

Not the best image but you can clearly see the starter and its fairly easy to get to with a good LT header.

Cory

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I have heard the horror stories about transmission related service with some brands though. BBK and MAC come to mind first off.

hu8yza8a.jpg

Not the best image but you can clearly see the starter and its fairly easy to get to with a good LT header.

Cory

DAMN! That's an awesome picture! Is that your car? Nice mods I see.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
You will absolutely notice the difference. You'll notice the gears alone and the longtubes and midpipe alone - together you'll love it.

I'm guessing a 13.2 at 105 with 290rwhp.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

usmcsvt98

A day in the life
Established Member
I forgot to add a c&l intake with k&n cone filter as well. I know the horror of putting on longtubes. I'm putting in a new clutch and tob at the same time. I do have a brand new starter in to. Bbk wasn't my first choice but I found the ceramic coated ones brand new for 100 bucks so I couldn't really pass that up!

97 Nightmare

Established Member
DAMN! That's an awesome picture! Is that your car? Nice mods I see.

Yes that's my whip. It's dirty as crap in that picture. Thank you sir. It's definitely been a long road.

Cory

By the way to OP, biggest gain I've noticed was from the gears. 4.30's will make you feel like you just built the motor.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Agreed. I had 4.30s in my 96 when it was NA and it was awesome.

I had 4.10s in my other car when it was NA and the 4.30s absolutely made the difference. If I was doing it all over again I'd try 4.56.

chromeyellosnak

Established Member
With a tire , high 12's will be possible. My car has stock manifolds , basssni x with cats, bassani catback,4.30 gears, Bbk crap intake , and a shifter. With drag radials I ran 13.3 first pass, second pass 13.08 . All stock suspension, if I could have had more runs that night I would have been 12(s without a doubt . Now with the cool air I'm gonna head down soon and get more times but with longyubes you should.make a little more power than me.

Bite u

Established Member
My car is 291 wheel and 28x torque and has been a best of 12.72 @ roughly 107 in warmer weather.. It ha 12.5x's in it in this cooler weather but I ended up blowing out the factory 28 spline diff and will b upgrading to 4.56's.

As stated get a good brand of headers.. I have hooker headers and replaced tranny, clutch and everything without loosening anything.. On jack stands by hand.

Add a nice tune to the list and u will b one your way to a quick little ride

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member

Kooks and ARH are way to expensive to the small gains they offer. BBKs and some MACs must have one header removed to get the tranmission out. Flowtechs, Hookers and Pacesetters do not have to be removed.

97 Nightmare

Established Member
Kooks and ARH are way to expensive to the small gains they offer. BBKs and some MACs must have one header removed to get the tranmission out. Flowtechs, Hookers and Pacesetters do not have to be removed.

I haven't went price shopping in a long time but iirc I picked up my kooks lts and x for around $1200 shipped. Not bad for a good stainless exhaust imho.

Cory

Users who are viewing this thread