ACLU Android/iphone app to record police encounters.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
How is this different from simple video with permission? One does not need an app to take or send vids.:rollseyes

Because this goes directly to their servers where it can be reviewed by lawyers for civil rights violations......Did you read the article?:rolleyes:

Vid and audio can't easily be deleted either...... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
only a matter of time until:
a) somebody records a stop and it pisses a cop off enough to have him beat/taze/harass somebody.
b) somebody records a stop and winds up getting arrested and having his computers confiscated.

chrisheltra

Established Member
"officer, if you are not doing anything wrong then you don't mind if I record this encounter."

What if they dont want you to record it and they do end up doing something wrong?

I actually think this is a good idea. Everyone needs to be held accountable.

blinelaxd27

Established Member
keep in mind that if you are using this app... your chances of just getting a warning are probably pretty slim.

chrisheltra

Established Member
Most record you during a traffic stop without your consent why cant we do the same to them?

This app isnt targeted at your average traffic stop though.

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
Most record you during a traffic stop without your consent why cant we do the same to them?

This app isnt targeted at your average traffic stop though.

differing state laws. Some states require two party consent or at least notification. Know your laws so you don't get charged with 'wiretapping' or 'illegally recording'

blwn306

Established Member
With all the twisted cops here in town it's a great app! In small decals put on your car you may be recorded for the safety and quality assurance of civil servant and civilian lol

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It will only be good IF the entire stop is recorded, leaving NO gaps. For example, if the person stopped gets tough with the cop or even threatens him, and THEN starts the app up, the file sent to the ACLU server will be incomplete and swayed heavily (potentially) against the cop until the cop's video is matched against the accused person's video. This is going to potentially cause a lot of unnecessary time wasted as people partially video a police encounter after which the police department will have to defend itself. Where does all of this stop? I mean the nonsense end of it. I would bet it is more the people who DO get into trouble routinely that will love to use this app. Maybe those who want to claim police profiling or harassment.

As someone said above, if you don't do anything that gets the attention of law enforcement to begin with, then you should have nothing to worry about. People who DO draw law enforcement attention will be the first ones to whine and cry "police harassment/police brutality" and claim their liberties were breached. JMO.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Could have used this when my wife got arrested for disorderly conduct for standing at the back door of a bar when a confrontation started with the bouncer and other people.

Users who are viewing this thread