Accufab TB is history on my FR500 Cobra

99svtvert

Potentially Dangerous Situation --- Everything started out very well. Good idle, good response, motor comes back to idle (for a month); then out of the clear blue, the last 3 days, which have been cold and wet; the engive revs to 3500 for no apparrant reason each time I drive it for 5-10 minutes. I put in the clutch and tromp0 the accelerator and it settles down again and is then OK. After it is warmed up, the problem goes away. I have been driving this car for 6 weeks - not a TB problem, then all of the sudden -- this. I swapped back in the stock TB and all is fine which is fine eith me too.

Anyone else experience this ??

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Naz originally had the accufab TB on this setup as well. He also removed it because of drivability issues. I think issues very much like the ones your describe.

03Steve

Established Member
Hey Naz, do we need to link the mach1registry thread here? :-D

I see you are in STL. I would like to take a look at your TB.

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
I've heard of a lot of people having problems with accufab TB's so I don't think you're alone.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member

03Steve

Established Member
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55784&page=7

There is some great information in this thread. It includes George Klass (a representative from Accufab), Naz, myself, and others. Page 7 is where George Klass begins to talk tech, and I begin to reply to his remarks.

Here are the seven main points I address which cover about any Accufab hanging idle problem. They are remarks in reply to Accufab's set screw calibration process, and the installation instructions on their website. I make suggestions to George Klass on how Accufab can improve their QC and installation instructions:

03Steve said:
1) Sometimes it is necessary to adjust the set screw stop, because Accufab does not calibrate their throttle bodies on an engine. Their calibration process does not include heat. It is done by human eyeball on a table in room temperature.

2) Because heat is not included in the calibration process, a throttle body blade(s) may hang up against the throttle body case. Not against the throttle body stop set screw. If this happens, it will cause hanging idle.

3) 1.00 volts on the TPS puts a car in dashpot mode, not idle mode. The car may idle higher in dashpot mode.

4) Recommended TPS voltage is 0.90 -0.97 volts, not 0.98 - 1.00 volts as Accufab suggests. This gives you more voltage "headroom" before dashpot mode, and takes the next point into account...

5) Don't assume a digital multimeter is accurate to 0.01 volt. In many many cases, they are not.

6) It is preferred to use a EEC reader/datalogger over a digital multimeter for reading the TPS position.

7) Sometimes the TPS holes where the Phillips head bolts go through may need to be elongated/drilled out to provide more rotation to set the TPS voltage properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

todd4566

Man Of Steel
Established Member
03Steve said:

Good information there - I've read thread too. IMO, a customer shouldn't have to go through the burden of 'calibrating' the throttle blade screw, nor should they even have to swap the TPS sensor for a piece that costs $350. With all the headaches I've read about the BBK & Accufab throttle bodies, I'll be staying stock. Screw that.

1999WhiteSVT

STLMustangs.com
Established Member
todd4566 said:
Good information there - I've read thread too. IMO, a customer shouldn't have to go through the burden of 'calibrating' the throttle blade screw, nor should they even have to swap the TPS sensor for a piece that costs $350. With all the headaches I've read about the BBK & Accufab throttle bodies, I'll be staying stock. Screw that.
good idea

99svtvert

I this point I don't care. I tried it, it didn't work out. I'm not in to fooling around with it to get it to work again after working fine for 30+ days. They are beautifully made; but I have few other things I'd like to spend my time on. For sale for a fair price to anyone who wants to futz with it !

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
they are notorious for hanging open ever so slightly.. when you rev it and let off the throttle it closes hard enough not to hang.

Nazman

Established Member
There was lots of BS on that thread.

From some good tech to name calling and what not. Its good that it was edited for content.

Naz

ex-PJs snake

That Others May Live
Established Member
I know that some people swear by them, but IMHO, I wouldn't own one, better yet, place it on any vehicle I have.

Nazman

Established Member
blksnake99 said:
Potentially Dangerous Situation --- Everything started out very well. Good idle, good response, motor comes back to idle (for a month); then out of the clear blue, the last 3 days, which have been cold and wet; the engive revs to 3500 for no apparrant reason each time I drive it for 5-10 minutes. I put in the clutch and tromp0 the accelerator and it settles down again and is then OK. After it is warmed up, the problem goes away. I have been driving this car for 6 weeks - not a TB problem, then all of the sudden -- this. I swapped back in the stock TB and all is fine which is fine eith me too.

Anyone else experience this ??
Exactly what happen to me.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3739663&postcount=185

Naz

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Same problem here. Went back to my BBK TB and the Accufab went back into the box. It's now a $400 paperweight.

MJ

Users who are viewing this thread