Accufab/Densecharger/Denso Iridium combo

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, as I posted earlier, I got to re-install my Densecharger in Up position, installed Denso Iridium plugs and lastly installed an Accufab TB/Plenum (polished set) on Saturday and Sunday. Man, I am really impressed. No dyno results yet, but after taking it out yesterday and putting 50+ miles on it I am way impressed. Throttle response is much better now. Low end torque is up. No idling problems. No stalling. Just a much improved kick in the butt when you nail it. I am very happy with this combo. The polished TB and Plenum look pretty cool, too. And the blower noise is magnifed now -- which is exactly what I wanted. I also noticed that the blower seems to kick in a bit earlier now. Can't prove it by a before and after set of numbers but it seemed that before my mods the blower wouldn't kick in as early as I might expect. But now I've noticed (looking at the gauge) that it seems to build boost sooner. Is that possible or is my SOTP gauge making it just seem that it is coming in sooner?

For those changing plugs and might think that the plugs are all pre-set at .40 you would be well advised to check each and every one. Mine ranged from .35 to .42. I re-set them all at .38.

Man do I love this car! Can't wait to jump in after work for another cruise around town.
:burnout:

ALA G8R

Banned
You are probably building boost sooner since you have opened up the intake (versus stock) with the TB. Congrats on the successful mod.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I haven't checked my A/F ratios but another side benefit to the combo install I did was that I eliminated the skunk smell I was getting. I had called Magnaflow CS last week and was told the smell is coming from a too rich mixture combined with the new cats. I had been concerned that maybe the cats were clogged (they only have 400 miles on them). But since switching to the Densecharger/Denso plugs/Accufab combo the smell is gone. Assuming that what I was told by Magnoflow is true, it would appear that I am running a bit more lean than before.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Electodes? What electrodes?

Originally posted by mosconiac
How did you gap the Iridiums? With the very fine electrode, I would be scared of snapping one off.
Just kidding of course. They surely are very fine. I had both wire type and coin type gap gauges. I was warned against using the coin (graduated thickness) guage but had to because my wire guage didn't have a.38 setting. Only a .35 and a .40. So I very carefully adjusted the gap with the wire gauge adjuster and then checked the gap (very gently) with the coin gauge. I did all eight plugs with absolutely no problem at all. I think the key is that with regular plugs you can set the gap with little attention to the electrode but with these you have to be extra careful. So be gentle and you should be golden.
:burnout:

[sky]03cobra

Established Member
If you went with the tb and plenum is it a good idea to at least go to a bigger maf? I really dont know much in this area, maybe someone can help out. What's the stock size of the maf, what kits are available and how much of a difference did it make changing the maf out?
just hoping someone could enlighten me here..thx
sky

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My understanding is that unless you have extensively modded your car the stock MAF is fine. You're running a smaller pulley and a chip, etc. so you would likely need a new MAF. I'm fine for the mods I've done.

Users who are viewing this thread