accidently went from 3rd to 2nd at WOT!!

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I was cruising at around 55 in 6th and instead of moving through 5th then into 4th, I went from 6th directly to 4th...or so I thought. It was 2nd. However, as I started to let the clutch out, I realized it and pulled it back before I fully released the clutch. The stock shifter has close gates. Just took a little time to get used to it. I have no issues now. All I added was a Barton bracket.

This was before the bracket. First to second is a powershift, inducing massive wheelspin, 2nd to 3rd just a normal speed shift.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhbOlSRlWBY&list=UUECPEzGAKEB4O9G3T-ImoFA&index=4&feature=plcp"]2012 Mustang GT 5.0 in-car with Roush axle back - YouTube[/nomedia]

Mike

Last edited:

EnthusiastGT

Established Member
this is exactly what happened twice...dropped to 3rd from 6th then went for 4th.....didnt happen at the strip/ from a dig... i know how to shift....its gotta have something to do with the trans/shifter moving....

Anyone know what we can do to deal with this? Without going on a crazy forum propaganda spree. I love Ford and don't want any trouble...however I don't want a shifter with a mind of its own either. These aftermarket solutions look good, but they also could create an excuse for a malfunction down the road. I have an extended warranty.

Roger Davis

RSD
Established Member
If you came from a 5 speed and now have a 6 speed it is a matter of muscle memory to learn the new shift locations. Eventually it will become second nature and you will not be missing the gears or shifting into the wrong gear
This is the best advise on this topic.:)
This trans has the closest shifting gates on any Ford trans from the past and drivers just have to get used to it.
I don't care how great a driver you were, you have to adjust to this trans.
A high dollar shifter is not going to make up for poor driving habits.:nono:

D.T.R

Established Member
I don't think there is anything wrong with the tranny/shifter. Like someone already said, seems like you're pulling towards YOU when going into 4th when it should be just straight down

Erich

Established Member
I own a 4 speed, a 5 speed and a 6 speed. It is funny how far the gears feel when going from the 6 to 5 to 4 speed. Try trying to get the 4 speed between gears as though it was a 5 or 6 speed. Everything seems cockeyed.

This 6 speed does default to going from 6 to 3 if you don't keep it over. It is true, your muscle memory just has to get used to what the trans does where and it becomes natural.
Erich

James Salmon

Established Member
I just did this fourth to second, only shifted around 4500rpm and it bounced off the limiter twice then I threw in the clutch. It still runs, I don't hear anything clicking or knocking and continued to drive it a few miles after it happened. No leaks or anything either. Do y'all think anything is wrong? First time I did this

noldevin

Established Member
People rev these engines at 8k+ on cobra jet setups so luckily they can just take a lot of RPM without major issues. I did this once when I first got the car, never happened again.

king_13

Established Member
What's happened to me sometimes is going from 1st to 4th on low RPM shifts, around 2-2.5k.

I've been locked out of 2nd gear 5 times in the 2 months of had her, 2 high 3 low RPM. The MGW is next on the list along with an OR H pipe for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11gtcs

Established Member
What's happened to me sometimes is going from 1st to 4th on low RPM shifts, around 2-2.5k.

I've been locked out of 2nd gear 5 times in the 2 months of had her, 2 high 3 low RPM. The MGW is next on the list along with an OR H pipe for sure.

That sounds like the stupid skip-shift feature to me and is normal. Mine is disabled by my tuner.

Last edited:

king_13

Established Member
That sounds like the stupid skip-shift feature to me and normal. Mine is disabled by my tuner.
I thought so, but they removed it in the 13-14 I believe.

Plus I'm Lund tuned, either I started sucking the more I drive, or they activated skip shift. I will still attribute it to the shifter though haha.

11gtcs

Established Member
3rd to 4th perfect shift= palm of hand on back of knob, fingers extended & joined, time to shift just snap your palm up, fingers back and never miss it again. drive with my transmission bein a TKO 600 and you start payin attention to what actually works. stiff & tight, so accuracy is a must with it.

Bingo! I also use this technique and she just slides right into gear every time.

11gtcs

Established Member
I thought so, but they removed it in the 13-14 I believe.

Plus I'm Lund tuned, either I started sucking the more I drive, or they activated skip shift. I will still attribute it to the shifter though haha.

Okay, well if that's the case.. Then I'm stumped. Lol

Willmkent

Established Member
did this a couple times with my mach 1 2004. The stock shifter was so sloppy so hitting a random gear was a high possibility. If i remember that far back i went with a B&M shifter with a ford racing knob. as far as MGW, its gotta be a great upgrade. I hear nothing but good things about that shifter, and honestly if you are worried about causing possible damage and have already done this twice, then maybe investing in that shifter would be a good idea and then retrain to pull straight through to fourth. It is possible you have a habit of pulling slightly toward yourself

Users who are viewing this thread