accidently went from 3rd to 2nd at WOT!!

chancejat

Established Member
I know, I know...i suck right? well im not the best driver in the world but i know how to drive. Ive done this twice having some fun...went from third at about 84 mph and tried shifting to 4th but ended up in 2nd instead. Tires lock up and i pushed back in the clutch, everything seems fine and no cel. i think its because the trans moves so much during shifts....i driven dozens of manual cars and ive never had this happen. Do you guys think i caused damage hiting the limiter that hard? And how do i stop this from happening, is it the shifter bushing/bracket or do i need extra transmission bracing? My car has 3000 miles and has an airaid intake, pype bombs, and a tune. Ive gone 12.6 at 115 at the quarter.

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
Done same thing twice nothing should happen should be fast enough pushing that clutch back in that nothings going to happen

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
It is possible to severely damage an engine through mis-shift induced over-reving. More than likely the first thing to happen would be floating the valvetrain. This can break springs/valves and possible damage piston tops.

Since you've done it twice already, it might be a habit you're engraining while you shift. It never hurts to practice proper technique. It could save you thousands in not having to repair a drivetrain from a mis-shift.

If you tend to grab or grasp the shifter handle, stop. Instead, cup the shift ball with the top of your hand. Pull down without directional guidance to select gears like 2 and 4. Push forward with the palm of your hand to select 3rd and 5th.

Since the shifter is is offset from your body, grabbing or grasping changes the pivot angle relative to your body, which makes it more likely to pull towards you causing mis shifts.

give it a try, it might help you out!

01bluesnake

Established Member
Sounds like you are pulling it towards you on the shift.

It is possible to severely damage an engine through mis-shift induced over-reving. More than likely the first thing to happen would be floating the valvetrain. This can break springs/valves and possible damage piston tops.

Since you've done it twice already, it might be a habit you're engraining while you shift. It never hurts to practice proper technique. It could save you thousands in not having to repair a drivetrain from a mis-shift.

If you tend to grab or grasp the shifter handle, stop. Instead, cup the shift ball with the top of your hand. Pull down without directional guidance to select gears like 2 and 4. Push forward with the palm of your hand to select 3rd and 5th.

Since the shifter is is offset from your body, grabbing or grasping changes the pivot angle relative to your body, which makes it more likely to pull towards you causing mis shifts.

give it a try, it might help you out!

Agreed on both.

First and last(can honestly say) 3-2 was when i bought my first stick shift car(fox body) and was on the highway. Did it and ever after that, never did it again. You have to practice shifting and adjust as needed.

Torch, exact same way i shift and have shifted ever since. :rockon:

Last edited:

2012GTCS

Established Member
Same advice as above. I did it with my 12 on the highway and my whole body cringed when it happened. I think it was a 4>3. I swear it never even stopped at the rev limiter and someone said that it wouldnt on a downshift. It was just an awful sound but I quickly got the clutch in. I start doing what Torch10th said and I havent done it since. I usually just use my fingers to pull down and the base of my palm to push up.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Same advice as above. I did it with my 12 on the highway and my whole body cringed when it happened. I think it was a 4>3. I swear it never even stopped at the rev limiter and someone said that it wouldnt on a downshift. It was just an awful sound but I quickly got the clutch in. I start doing what Torch10th said and I havent done it since. I usually just use my fingers to pull down and the base of my palm to push up.

This is because the software can't overcome mechanical forces. 7000rpm in 4th gear will end up giving you over 8000 rpm in 3rd gear. Software can't stop the mechanics from working in that situation.

The fact that the mt82 has fairly close ratio gearing is probably saving people that accidentally do this from sever issues. Outside of the issues it can cause with engine damage, if you're doing this at the top of 4th, the sudden locking of the rear wheels can do worse and cause an accident.

Lone Star

Established Member
If you came from a 5 speed and now have a 6 speed it is a matter of muscle memory to learn the new shift locations. Eventually it will become second nature and you will not be missing the gears or shifting into the wrong gear

EnthusiastGT

Established Member
Ive experienced the same. Car went into limp mode...turned off the car and started driving. Everything seemed fine. That was over ten thousand miles ago. Safe to assume everything is ok ?

I'd say a mgw shifter is in order as well. I gotta be honest though guys. If one is in 6th and downshifts to third, rings 3rd gear out, and shifts to fourth slowly it STILL goes into second. It's almost as if the transmission has settled after a while. If one downshifts into fourth or 5th first it tends to prime the transmission. Does anyone know what am I talking about or am I just crazy.

When accelerating from 1st to 5th though...NOT an issue!!

First post, yea..long time lurker, but this is a subject I had to comment on.

Last edited:

CPRsm

It can hurt the engine for sure. Take the rpm drop you get from 2-3 and as that to the top of where you shifted. That's about the rpm you saw briefly. Guys BMW across the drive here slung a rod, dealer tried to void the warranty. It's a paddle shift and shouldn't have let him in down shift. But it did and saw 8400 for some .03 seconds or something crazy. All it needs to do is hit 2 teeth on the cam/crankshaft sensor and the computer will pick it up. Even if the engine didn't see 1 rpm. Maybe the engines are stronger in these, but be careful it does happen.

Brut4ce

Established Member
It happened to me when I was a kid at the dragstrip. It ripped the face off the centerforce clutch and a tow ride home.

kevinp

Established Member
These are non interference (pistons wont hit the valves even if they are fully open) engines so at least you most likely didnt hurt the valvetrain. The old 3-2 shift bent a lot of pushrods and valves in LS1 vettes and F-bodies though, you certainly arent the only one who ever did it.

But its still a big shock to the drivetrain and can certainly do some bottom end, clutch, rear end and transmission damage. Not much you can do except drive it and see..

chancejat

Established Member
Ive experienced the same. Car went into limp mode...turned off the car and started driving. Everything seemed fine. That was over ten thousand miles ago. Safe to assume everything is ok ?

I'd say a mgw shifter is in order as well. I gotta be honest though guys. If one is in 6th and downshifts to third, rings 3rd gear out, and shifts to fourth slowly it STILL goes into second. It's almost as if the transmission has settled after a while. If one downshifts into fourth or 5th first it tends to prime the transmission. Does anyone know what am I talking about or am I just crazy.

When accelerating from 1st to 5th though...NOT an issue!!

First post, yea..long time lurker, but this is a subject I had to comment on.

this is exactly what happened twice...dropped to 3rd from 6th then went for 4th.....didnt happen at the strip/ from a dig... i know how to shift....its gotta have something to do with the trans/shifter moving....

Last edited:

chancejat

Established Member
These are non interference (pistons wont hit the valves even if they are fully open) engines so at least you most likely didnt hurt the valvetrain. The old 3-2 shift bent a lot of pushrods and valves in LS1 vettes and F-bodies though, you certainly arent the only one who ever did it.

But its still a big shock to the drivetrain and can certainly do some bottom end, clutch, rear end and transmission damage. Not much you can do except drive it and see..

well that makes me feel better ....i think im good, i dont have any weird noises/smoke....

war_machine92

Banned
3rd to 4th perfect shift= palm of hand on back of knob, fingers extended & joined, time to shift just snap your palm up, fingers back and never miss it again. drive with my transmission bein a TKO 600 and you start payin attention to what actually works. stiff & tight, so accuracy is a must with it.

Users who are viewing this thread