Accel Coil Pack issues

fasvtcontour00

Established Member
My list of mods are in my sig, my stroker motor has not ran smoothly ever since I got it (about 20K miles ago) UNTIL TODAY!! When the motor was installed, it never would wind all the way out past 4K rpm, it would just drag out slowly like it wasn't getting enough air or fuel one of the two. I took it to the trusted guys at Modular Depot and they slapped on the dyno with the same results. I wasn't gettin enough fuel pressure, so I had one installed that day. On the dyno again, same problem just fall on its face after 4k rpm's, flat hp curve. Ken told me the imrc's were not opening fully and advised me to delete them. So I took the snake home and after researching svtperf.com I yanked em out, filled em up, and installed them back in. Well, it still had the same behavior after this so I was really discouraged and tried other avenues. I installed new FRPP plug wires, ngk plugs, and accel coil packs. Still the same results. By this time, I'm dieing to get this thing running good. I then realized my PCM still was reading the IMRCs not fully opened when physically they weren't even there, so I used a very valuable article on how to trick the PCM into thinking the IMRCs are open all the time which is here: http://home.hawaii.rr.com/hfpc/imrc/

Now, this still didn't fix my problem because as I was resolving problems, I had other problems arising as well.

THEN, just last week I started having a bad miss at idle and throughout the rpm band and a check engine light on. Code reveal a "Ignition coil circuit A malfunction" sure enough pulling the plug wires at the coil with the car idling (with some insulated pliers of course) revealed coil tower for cylinder 6 completely dead. So, using my warranty I get a new coil from Advance. Install it and I still have the same behavior of dragging out past 4k rpms. TODAY, I have the same severe missing problem I just had last week and this gets me to playing around with the coils again. I just try putting my old, original ford coils back on and WHAM!!! Like a DAMN rocket my car takes off. Probably the most satisfying feeling I've had with my car. Its like a damn chained dog on the loose!!! It feels like a solid mid to low 12 second car now, I may be way outta range there but I know its at least a high 12 second car now.

BUT, moral of the story is don't use shitty Accel coil packs. Also, when I had the original coils on, the imrcs were preventing the car from getting air, but after I fixed that, the accel coils were masking my problem from me. So, IMO do not use Accel coil packs. Anyone have any reasoning for this? They are rated at a higher voltage range than the stock coils, but it seems like that would make for better spark. Anyone have any recommendations for coil pack alternatives? I've heard screamin demons are good, but I think I'll stick with the OEMs for now. :rockon:

PS I'm so happy my car runs like a scalded dog now!! I can't wait to go to the track.

Last edited:

mcaligiuri

Established Member
i have em, i thought mine too were bad but it turned out be be msd woes. so far i like em, cant complain.

fasvtcontour00

Established Member
I can't believe you drove it for 20k without finding the problem. Its a good thing you didn't get too discouraged.

It wasn't like the car didn't run smoothly. It would run perfect if you kept your foot out of it, at half throttle it would wind all the way out but if you floored it, it would fall on its face. Not now though.

Cobranator

Established Member
That's odd:shrug:.....I've had Accel coils and MSD wires on my car since '99 and have had no problems whatsoever. The car idles so smooth that you can balance a nickel on top and revs to redline without any problems.

You probably got a bad set of coils made on friday at 4:55 pm:lol1::D

fasvtcontour00

Established Member
The only reasoning I can find behind this is, with a longer stroking motor, a longer spark duration is needed. These coils may not have longer spark duration as the stock coils, causing spark blowout when the motor was really forcing a lot of air into the combustion chamber. This is the only relevant explanation I can come up with because it did seem like I was getting spark blowout. When trying to diagnose this, examining my plugs revealed good clean looking tips, but that was a pretty long time ago. I think I will pull them today to see what they look like.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The only reasoning I can find behind this is, with a longer stroking motor, a longer spark duration is needed. These coils may not have longer spark duration as the stock coils, causing spark blowout when the motor was really forcing a lot of air into the combustion chamber. This is the only relevant explanation I can come up with because it did seem like I was getting spark blowout. When trying to diagnose this, examining my plugs revealed good clean looking tips, but that was a pretty long time ago. I think I will pull them today to see what they look like.

The bore/stroke of the motor has nothing to do with it. The problem is that the Ford coils are about the best you can get.

fasvtcontour00

Established Member
Ok that makes sense. I think I'll get some motorcrafts then. Does anyone know if that sticky that is posted in this forum is still valid for the 10% over cost on all ford parts? its from 2004.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
your not the first person i have heard to hav trouble with aftermarket coils, FORD is the best you can get, one of there reliable parts, half the aftermarket stuff out there is crap

9804SNAKES

Established Member
My list of mods are in my sig, my stroker motor has not ran smoothly ever since I got it (about 20K miles ago) UNTIL TODAY!! When the motor was installed, it never would wind all the way out past 4K rpm, it would just drag out slowly like it wasn't getting enough air or fuel one of the two. I took it to the trusted guys at Modular Depot and they slapped on the dyno with the same results. I wasn't gettin enough fuel pressure, so I had one installed that day. On the dyno again, same problem just fall on its face after 4k rpm's, flat hp curve. Ken told me the imrc's were not opening fully and advised me to delete them. So I took the snake home and after researching svtperf.com I yanked em out, filled em up, and installed them back in. Well, it still had the same behavior after this so I was really discouraged and tried other avenues. I installed new FRPP plug wires, ngk plugs, and accel coil packs. Still the same results. By this time, I'm dieing to get this thing running good. I then realized my PCM still was reading the IMRCs not fully opened when physically they weren't even there, so I used a very valuable article on how to trick the PCM into thinking the IMRCs are open all the time which is here: http://home.hawaii.rr.com/hfpc/imrc/

Now, this still didn't fix my problem because as I was resolving problems, I had other problems arising as well.

THEN, just last week I started having a bad miss at idle and throughout the rpm band and a check engine light on. Code reveal a "Ignition coil circuit A malfunction" sure enough pulling the plug wires at the coil with the car idling (with some insulated pliers of course) revealed coil tower for cylinder 6 completely dead. So, using my warranty I get a new coil from Advance. Install it and I still have the same behavior of dragging out past 4k rpms. TODAY, I have the same severe missing problem I just had last week and this gets me to playing around with the coils again. I just try putting my old, original ford coils back on and WHAM!!! Like a DAMN rocket my car takes off. Probably the most satisfying feeling I've had with my car. Its like a damn chained dog on the loose!!! It feels like a solid mid to low 12 second car now, I may be way outta range there but I know its at least a high 12 second car now.

BUT, moral of the story is don't use shitty Accel coil packs. Also, when I had the original coils on, the imrcs were preventing the car from getting air, but after I fixed that, the accel coils were masking my problem from me. So, IMO do not use Accel coil packs. Anyone have any reasoning for this? They are rated at a higher voltage range than the stock coils, but it seems like that would make for better spark. Anyone have any recommendations for coil pack alternatives? I've heard screamin demons are good, but I think I'll stick with the OEMs for now. :rockon:

PS I'm so happy my car runs like a scalded dog now!! I can't wait to go to the track.

First of all good post and topic as I have been having questions about coils, however your post is confusing, unless you didn't write it chronologically, it seems as if you had the coil problem BEFORE you even installed the Accels, then once you replaced and then ultimately put the stockers back in, the problem was solved. So my question is, when did the problem start, before the Accels or after? Thanks

9804SNAKES

Established Member
It wasn't like the car didn't run smoothly. It would run perfect if you kept your foot out of it, at half throttle it would wind all the way out but if you floored it, it would fall on its face. Not now though.

That's pretty much consistent with a coil failure. From what I've learned, even when they are bad or going bad they can produce low spark voltage, but once you flog it, they shut down cold.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I have read that you should get stock OEM coil pack replacements after 50k miles and stay away from the aftermarket versions. Ford knew what they were doing when they developed these cars. Mine now has 56k miles so I am due for a new set too.

9804SNAKES

Established Member
your not the first person i have heard to hav trouble with aftermarket coils, FORD is the best you can get, one of there reliable parts, half the aftermarket stuff out there is crap

Well you guys sure helped me make my decision. Was gonna ask you about MSD, ACCEL, Screamin Demon, and NOLOGY (claiming 45,000 volt output), but looks like I'll put it too rest.

9804SNAKES

Established Member
I have read that you should get stock OEM coil pack replacements after 50k miles and stay away from the aftermarket versions. Ford knew what they were doing when they developed these cars. Mine now has 56k miles so I am due for a new set too.

Thanks, just answered another question. :thumbsup:

fasvtcontour00

Established Member
First of all good post and topic as I have been having questions about coils, however your post is confusing, unless you didn't write it chronologically, it seems as if you had the coil problem BEFORE you even installed the Accels, then once you replaced and then ultimately put the stockers back in, the problem was solved. So my question is, when did the problem start, before the Accels or after? Thanks

The problem started as soon as I installed my stroker short block (I used my stock heads and intake and also installed LT's at this time). Apparently, (this is my theory) the IMRCs were not working properly after being reinstalled. Along with some other minor bugs from the reinstallation like O2 sensors and a rev limiter code. Took the car to get tuned which also revealed low fuel pressure which resulted in a new fuel pump. My tuner advised me to delete the imrc's. I put the accel coils on before deleting the imrc's. Then, I deleted the imrcs and rewired the harness to the imrc acuator, still the same problem. SO now instead of having my imrc cutting out the air, now my coils are causing spark blowout. It was a combination of problems happening at the same time with the car, just took some digging to figure it out. Clear as mud now?:thumbsup:

EDIT: I did not have problems with the original Ford coils, they are the ones on the car now and the reason it is running so good. They have around 95K miles on them. Time for some new ones. I switched to the accels just guessing the old ones where bad, I was wrong.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator

No need to change at 50K.

Users who are viewing this thread