ac in convertible fix it or pitch it

v6mustang164

Established Member
My 99 cobra convertible has a broken ac. It has been broke since last spring and I was considering pulling out to save weight rather than fix it. I live in Missouri and I have another dd too. What would you guys do?

99MystiC

Established Member
Heres a question for you. Will you be driving with the top down when its a nice warm, hot day? If you are then there is no point in having your ac on cuz thats just a waste of fuel. Then lets say its raining and its hot. Take you DD out. My sister just recently had to fix her ac in her GT, it cost her about 700+ cuz of the pump. So just look over your options. I paid like $70 to get the ac delete from steeda. took maybe like 30 mins to put it in. Had to bleed the freon lines and then just took everything out. Plus our cars will run a bit cooler with the ac out. Hope that helps in your decision.

v6mustang164

Established Member
I was thinking an ac delete because I tried to fix it last spring when I got it with no luck. When ever it is above 60 and not raining the top is down so I survived last summer with out it. I might try to go one more summer with it in the car and see if I want to do an ac delete or fix it. Oh and cobraracer why would my cobra slowly turn into a pile of shit, if I did an ac delete?

cobraracer46

Banned
Oh and cobraracer why would my cobra slowly turn into a pile of shit, if I did an ac delete?

tossing the AC will launch the "shit ball". Example: the AC quit working so you toss it.:bash: Next, the factory Mach460 stereo quits working so you ripp it out and now there is a hole in the dash.:burn: The Power mirror quits working so you delete it.:fart: After deleting and ripping out components, a car that used to be nice is slowly transformed into a piece of shit.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Keep it. You never know when you're gonna need to use it. The A/C didn't work in my car for about a year, and it was a pain in the ass until I fixed it. Now, it's nice, and I'm glad it works..

The weight savings is a load of crap.. You'll save 20 lbs at most.. Just take out the spare tire if you want the weight savings.

Plus, it'll kill the resale value. No one's gonna want to buy your car if it has the A/C delete..

I agree with the post above.. Just suck it up and fix it...

Homer

v6mustang164

Established Member
Ok, it looks like I will keep working on it. The only reason I even contemplated an ac delete is because its a convertible. If it was a coupe I would have gotten it fixed right away.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Deleting the AC was cool back in the day when it was acceptable to make sacrifices in comfort and driveability in the name of better performance. But now we live in a day and age where we're fortunate enough to be able to have our cake and eat it too.

You can have a very streetable daily driver that could blow the doors off of any old stripped down muscle car, and still keep all the creature comforts such as ice cold A/C, power windows, a bumpin' system with the "navigashooon", and everything else. Yea, the A/C sucks horsepower when it's running, but just use it sparingly.

20 years ago, it would have been unheard of to have a daily driver that makes 500-800 RWHP with all the creature comforts and good enough driveability and manners that your wife or girlfriend could drive without having to lecture her on all the things she should or shouldn't do so it drives right.. like, "Oh, by the way, the car has no A/C, even though is says A/C and MAX A/C on the controls".

Take that $110 ($70 for the delete pulley and $40 for the belt) and spend it on something that's going to give you a better bang for the buck. Get a set of underdrive pulleys or something. In addition to the 10-15 horsepower it frees up, you'll get better gas mileage. Plus, when you DO decide to use the A/C, it won't be consuming as much power as it did previously. It's a win-win situation.

Homer

Users who are viewing this thread