ABS light and trac control light won't turn off

cobra_matt

Established Member
I haven't driven the car in a few days; everything was fine the last time I drove it. I got in the car today, turned it on, and the ABS light and the traction control light wouldn't turn off. It drives fine and seems to be braking no different. Any guesses? The car is bone stock except for a cat-back.

dormeas

Established Member
If unhooking the battery doesn't do it, there's only a few more things it could be.

One the wheel speed sensors and two the ABS control module. My 03 GT had the control mod. go out.... expensive. Hopefully its something simple. If you take it to a dealer or shop with the right equipment, they can tell you what error is causing the light. Then you can figure it out from there.

You might also check to verify nothing has gotten caught between the wheel speed sensors and tone wheel they read off of. It's in behind the rotors. the sensor is just a small metal piece sticking out and the tone wheel looks like a big gear. Try just cleaning those parts off. If you fix it, the light should go off without you having to reset it.

Last edited:

cobra_matt

Established Member
Thanks for the responses. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and let everything reset. That didn't work, so now I'm going to clean off the wheel speed sensors and tone wheel.

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
I have an ABS module "used" for sale if that's what it turns out to be. I know they are over $500 from Ford, as stated above it is an expensive fix. But, I will let it go for way cheaper if that's your problem. Just shoot me a PM. I hope it is only a wheel sensor though.

Mike

cobra_matt

Established Member
Just got off the phone with the stealership, they said I need a new ECU which is still covered under warranty. It'll be a couple days before they get one delivered and installed in my car. I hate leaving my car over night, but what can I do...

cobra_matt

Established Member
Got the car back today, everything is working now. Are ECUs going bad pretty common? Never heard of this being a problem, but oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread